Another kick butt light for $25

This is a discussion on Another kick butt light for $25 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if this light has been out for awhile or not but it was the first time I saw it. It's a Coleman ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another kick butt light for $25

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar

I'm not sure if this light has been out for awhile or not but it was the first time I saw it. It's a Coleman Max 115 Lumen light, 6V, very small and very bright. For $25, I doubt you can beat it. It is a lot brighter then my 80 lumen Ray-o-vac and smaller. I picked this up at Wal Mart today and they had the Ray-o-vacs on clearance. The 45Lumen Ray-o-vac was $9. They were out of the 80 lumen.

The beam on the Colmen is not adjustable but it is perfect the way it is and it has a on/off tail cap switch. You can press it lightly for a momentary on. No twisting the tail cap to keep it on. Also, the light is white compared to the Ray-o-vac's blue tint. Sorry for the big pics.

Compared to the Ray-o-vac

Last edited by JD; July 26th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

The 2 hour battery life would be a negative if you priced them batteries lately
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah.....2 hours batt life for an LED with lithium batteries isn't that great. I saw these lights at Wall-World last week, new stock items, and the size and lume output are impressive......but the big selling point (for me anyways) for the Rayovac was the lumes and the AA batteries.

But I can see a place for that 'lil Coleman too. Small size, big 115 lumen output for the pocket or purse. You'd just have to keep plenty of spare batteries on hand if you use lights like I do.
    Last edited by goldshellback; July 26th, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I love my Rav-o-vac light, its part of my EDC kit...
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Those are CR2 batteries, not CR123. They're smaller, have less current capability and capacity, and for the most part are just as expensive. I'd use it sparingly. :)

Those little batteries were a surprise for me.
    They output full light power until they're run down, then they just quit.
    No dimming.
    Just dead.
    I do absolutely love the blast of light they project!!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Looks like a decent setup. Negative on the Batteries, but hey, ya can't have it all, right? Good find.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Thanks for resizeing the pics JD.

I'm not really concerned about the 2 hour battery time. I bought it for it's size and light output, also the price was right. I have my ray-o-vac and other lights for normal use. This light will be for when I need to carry a small light that will get'R done.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Looks like a decent setup. Negative on the Batteries, but hey, ya can't have it all, right? Good find.
    There almost always seems to be a trade off.

Task force light at Lowes that says 60 times brighter, runs on D's, one ******* light.
    Okiemountaineer

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    There is actually ANOTHER Coleman Max Cree LED with 115 lumens that uses three AAA's. I know, because I bought one. BTW, 115 is what the LED manufacturer says the LED can produce, not what actually shining out the front.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    There is actually ANOTHER Coleman Max Cree LED with 115 lumens that uses three AAA's. I know, because I bought one. BTW, 115 is what the LED manufacturer says the LED can produce, not what actually shining out the front.
    I didn't see that at Wal Mart, wish they would have had the 3 AAA's. I still like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I have seem them at my wal mart that use 3aaa batteries and was going to buy one
    but I was not sure if it would put out 115 lumens
    will it run down the batteries without going dim?
    if so ,I may get one anyway

Thanks for the info
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If my memory serves me correctly the one that uses the AAA batteries lasted for up to 6 hours.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly the one that uses the AAA batteries lasted for up to 6 hours.......
    I believe you are right Reborn. I saw one a few weeks ago and was tempted to get it, but I figured I would wait and see how some of the guys on here rate it first. I currently have no shortage of lights, so no since in wasting money on one that is not up to par.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I just picked this one up at Wally World for $30. It is a little bigger that the one the OP posted, but it runs for 6 hours on three AAA batteries. It is 5" long and a little over 1" in diameter. It also has the red and green led's that will run for 50 hours. It has the push button tailcap with momentary and constant on. It's no Surefire, but for the price it is not bad at all. I will really test it out tonight after it gets dark outside.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links