Tactical Light

This is a discussion on Tactical Light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking of getting a light to put on the rail of my sigma. I don't know much about them, but i'm not wanting ...

Thread: Tactical Light

Tactical Light

I've been thinking of getting a light to put on the rail of my sigma. I don't know much about them, but i'm not wanting to spend a fortune either. As this will be mostly for looks, but would be nice should I ever need it for home defense. Could someone point me in a direction.

Also I have a question since. I've never had a gun w/ night sights on it, I was wondering what do you do when the sights go dimm and you want to replace them?
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    Also I have a question since. I've never had a gun w/ night sights on it, I was wondering what do you do when the sights go dimm and you want to replace them?
    Most nightsights are filled with Tritium. Because its a radioactive isotope, it decays at a predictable rate - which I believe is around twelve years per half-life. If you want to install them now, you won't have to worry about it for a long while. I suspect that even at 12 years you could see them well enough at night to use them, but I can't speak from experience. Should you want to replace them though, hit up a gunsmith and tell them you want the sights replaced.

As for the light? If you're going for looks then I'll let others direct you. Otherwise I would suggest picking up a Surefire or a light along those lines and practice with it. They're usually a lot cheaper.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Thanks for the response. The info on the night sights is appreciated.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a light to put on the rail of my sigma. I don't know much about them, but i'm not wanting to spend a fortune either. As this will be mostly for looks, but would be nice should I ever need it for home defense. Could someone point me in a direction.

If it's simply for "looks" then by all means save the money and use it for ammunition for the range. Anything added to your weapon should be added with ac increase in your performance of the weapon. A light should be used for tactical identification of your bad guy, if the need or additional light is necessary should your power to your home be disabled or in a dark alley.

White light has it's advantages and it's pitfalls when hanging off the end of your weapon.

When your tritium starts to go dim, then replace. You answered your own question.

Lot's of lights for weapons on the market. I personally am a Surefire fan and wouldn't trust any other light on my weapons. the X200 and X300 with the remote pressure pad are your best bets, at least in my opinion. I would want a light that allows for "momentary" and "constant on" white light. Surefire also has the new X400 with red dot visible laser and light. All models can be fitted with the proper rail and remote pressure pad at additional costs over and above the cost of the light and laser unit. Yes, their expensive, but quality products generally are in most cases.

Illuminate and move, illuminate and move.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Links