I have Tactical Balls (product review)

This is a discussion on I have Tactical Balls (product review) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I have your attention.... Brite Strike Tactical Balls: POLICE FLASHLIGHTS PERSONAL PROTECTION TACTICAL FLASHLIGHTS : SELF DEFENSE WOMEN CITIZENS POLICE They are a ...

Thread: I have Tactical Balls (product review)

Now that I have your attention....

Brite Strike Tactical Balls:
    POLICE FLASHLIGHTS PERSONAL PROTECTION TACTICAL FLASHLIGHTS : SELF DEFENSE WOMEN CITIZENS POLICE

They are a golf ball sized LED light you throw or roll. The rolling gives a strobe-like effect and the weight of the 2032 batteries causes them to eventually land light side up. It uses two (included) batteries each and the case is hard plastic.

Now my house has a wide open plan and my infant son's room is across from my bedroom. I have no choice, if something happens I have to head in that direction to get to him. The debate over clearing the house VS safe room is moot. I'll be in his room and I have placed some big bookshelves and furniture creatively for cover. These little wonders let me "throw" some light into the areas of the house I have to move past in a hurry. I can see an advantage if you have to move down stairs in your home also. I can clear some of the bigger areas like my kitchen and office quickly and adress any threat there as I move across to the boy's room. If you have a similar situation, give these a thought.

Part of the fire station where I work is a training facility. With the assistance of a fire Chief, I tested them on a couple of students. When some early students were sitting in a classroom I rolled one in. Their attention was focused on the ball as it rolled across the room and I was able to step in unnoticed. When a few more students arrived in the class, same result. Even the two who had seen it before followed it across with their eyes before turning towards the door that I had already entered. I tried it at shift change at the station also. Rolled three into the station. As before all eyes followed it across the room except for one Lieutenant, who yelled " if that thing explodes you're a dead man!" and closed his eyes.

Pros: it's cheap $40. It works. It's simple. The batteries are 2032s. Same as the red dot Tru Glo scopes on a couple of my Ars and AKs and other common red dots. I allways keep some around. Rolling them and tossing them into a dark locker room onto the tile did not break them or scratch the lens. They have a good strobe effect that is a little dazzling. They fill a real need in my home defense plan. Shipping was fast, the box was well packed and arrived intact.

Cons: They are listed on the site as "> 13000 MCD" output. Don't know what that measurement is but don't think that it is lumens. It's bright, but not blinding. It does not strobe or flash, it's just an effect of the rolling action. On thick carpet sometimes it will not roll to a stop with the light facing up. The case is good for beside my bed but it's more like a cell phone case than MOLLE gear. I don't think it would last forever in the field. It's hard to get the last ball out of the case.

Neutral: It takes some training to get used to not looking at it roll when you throw it. If you follow it with your eyes then naturally you are distracted too. Throw and move, repeat as necessary. Had to practice letting it go and concentrating on what I am doing. Also, the site lists them as LEO only. I don't see why and don't care for that policy. I ordered them with no ID and they made no attempt to verify that I was an LEO (I'm not) they just took my money. The manual is obviously written by a Chineese intern learning English. It's not "please to wear the phonebooth for free regualtion" bad, but you can tell they're not from around here.

If you think you might have a need for these in your home defense plan or have a need to get a distracting light to someplace in a hurry, give them a look. It's a compliment to my Surefire and a gun-mounted light and I must say I find that it works.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Cool, a cheap man's flashbang! I guess they have a utilitarian purpose as well. Looks like a fun toy. Plus it is LED so I must have it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

When I was an LEO and we were about to enter a dark room to search and clear we would throw a flashlight in the middle of the room which lit everything up and it wasn't in our hand giving away our movement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Here is a site with a conversion wizard to convert MCD (millicandelas) to lumens. candela (millicandela) to lumen conversion wizard
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When I was an LEO and we were about to enter a dark room to search and clear we would throw a flashlight in the middle of the room which lit everything up and it wasn't in our hand giving away our movement
    Yup, we still do that on occasion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How do you turn them on/off?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Naw, just you where in the door way or on the other side of the doorway.

Who in the hell ever came up with that idea ? LOL
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

JD
    Administrator
    Great, something else for Chooie to stick in his Maxpedition bag.

my dog would have glowing poop within the hour

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Great, something else for Chooie to stick in his Maxpedition bag.
    You know, I read this thread this morning and thought to myself "those just aren't bright enough to light up a room... I could build something brighter and cheaper".

We'll see...

My Balls

Brandonf, the dogs absolutely go nuts chasing them. Better than a laser dot.

cagueits, they have a rubber button on the bottom. Click on and off.

I can see where those could come in quite handy, of course you have to train yourself not to follow the pretty lights too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    You know, I read this thread this morning and thought to myself "those just aren't bright enough to light up a room... I could build something brighter and cheaper".

We'll see...
    Perhaps Luxeon LEDs? Some are 100+ lumens apiece. An RF remote would be nice too for on, off, strobe, color change, oc spray, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Perhaps Luxeon LEDs? Some are 100+ lumens apiece. An RF remote would be nice too for on, off, strobe, color change, oc spray, etc.
    That's what I'm talkin about!!!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I was thinking maybe I can turn a base out of aluminum to accept a CR2 or CR123 lithium with a strobe driver and CREE LED, with a clicky switch and polycarbonate dome...

Sponsored Links