About vests

About vests

This is a discussion on About vests within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask, but I was wondering if anybody has tried buying vests online... because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About vests

About vests

Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask, but I was wondering if anybody has tried buying vests online... because I was trying to find a vest for my friend as a gift and I stumbled upon this particular bulletproof vest online store. However, I still want to ask for suggestions for those who have tried buying it.

Anyway, I hope somebody will help me with this dilemma. Thank you!!!!!

DC Founder
    I'm not sure I would buy a vest unless your friend is a LEO. That being said, be sure and do your homework on vests; there are good ones and there are some that don't live up to their claims. The cheap prices make me think these might not be up to standard. I also noticed that these vests don't have a trauma plate or even the pocket to hold one as optional. Personally, I would avoid them. Check out a Second Chance.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

the regular vest does have a pocket for a trauma plate,as far as being a level 3 vest it will stop up to 44 magnum when I was an LEO a buncha years ago we only had level 2 second chance vests issued capable of stopping up to 357 magnum.It seems like a pretty decent deal but knowing what your buddy needs it for specifically would help.I would definitely compare with other companys and when it comes to something your life depends on you usually wanta get the best
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Those are junk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Inferior as far as vests go. Ballistic vests can't be skimped on. Name brand and tailor made is the only way to go. I wear Second Chance.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Those are junk.
    Gecko 45 swears by them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Gecko 45 swears by them
    None other than the infamous Mall Ninja himself, eh.

If it is good enough for him, than it is good enough for me.
    God bless our troops!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    the regular vest does have a pocket for a trauma plate
    I stand corrected. But they don't have the plates...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    To me a vest is one piece of gear that I would want to buy myself and not on-line, I'd want to be able to try it on.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    To me a vest is one piece of gear that I would want to buy myself and not on-line, I'd want to be able to try it on.
    You almost have to buy it at a brick and mortar store; proper fit is crucial, and they really should be tailor made for the person thats going to be wearing it; otherwise it will be uncomfortable and not nearly as affective.

Also, watch online dealers closely, there was a huge recall of panels a year or two ago, and a lot of them are resurfacing for sale on the 'net.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Agreed, but they don't usually carry a wide selection at my local Wal-Mart. What would you suggest for those of us whose only option may be buying it online? I've been kicking around the idea of getting a good IIIA vest with a plate pouch for a while.

A couple more vendors:

BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests
    ISP - Body Armor - Bullet Proof Vests - Air Taser M 18, Concealable Vests, Ballistic Wall Panes
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

How about trying a local Police/Uniform supply for custom fitting. There usually aren't laws preventing possession of ballistic vests, unless used in the commission of a crime.

I wear a Second Chance SC229 Level II with a T-15 insert in an APEX carrier on duty, and I am not a big fan of it. It comes with the turf but I think wearing a vest is comforting, but just terribly uncomfortable. I find a Level IIIA to be seriously uncomfortable and inflexible to the point where it effects my mobility. If you don't need to wear it I can't imagine why you would get a vest.

IMO a vest needs to be custom fit or you're wasting your money.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Unless someone really needs a vest, they might wear it for a week of two, and then they will get tired of it.

But it really is something that doesn't fit right, than it does no good because it is too uncomfortable.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Unless someone really needs a vest, they might wear it for a week of two, and then they will get tired of it.

But it really is something that doesn't fit right, than it does no good because it is too uncomfortable.
    For my purposes, I'm thinking of a SHTF vest, not one for every-day wear. Stray bullets or armed looters are a lot scarier when there's no medical attention to be had besides what you can perform on yourself.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    For my purposes, I'm thinking of a SHTF vest, not one for every-day wear. Stray bullets or armed looters are a lot scarier when there's no medical attention to be had besides what you can perform on yourself.
    Well, keep in mind with that that vests have a rather limited shelf life, which can be shortened depending on how well they are stored.

I have to wear a vest, I think its level IV, a lot, and it is not a fun experience.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links