Meprolight or Trijicon?

This is a discussion on Meprolight or Trijicon? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sending the slide of my USP45 to Robar to get their NP3 finish. I want a good set of night sights to install afterwards. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meprolight or Trijicon?

Meprolight or Trijicon?

I'm sending the slide of my USP45 to Robar to get their NP3 finish. I want a good set of night sights to install afterwards. Should I get Trijicon or Meprolight?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I prefer Trijicon because the "lamps" are encapsulated in a separate vile and not just sealed in the sight body by the lens. If something should happen to the "lamps", they can be replaced without replacing the sights themselves.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Trijicon it is!
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Take a look at Ameriglo. They get theit tritium inserts from Trijicon. If they make a version for the USP and you are interested I can point you to a way to get a discount.

I have a set on my G19 and like them very much.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    I'm sending the slide of my USP45 to Robar to get their NP3 finish. I want a good set of night sights to install afterwards. Should I get Trijicon or Meprolight?

Why ? i think the HE fimish is one of the best out there in stock form Glock is the other i just cant see doing it unless the finsh is really warn

Ohh and i like Trijicon wonder if they allow factory pick ups its just up road from me

Post a picture when you get it back. BTY had the Trijicons on my USP for about 3 years they work great you will love em.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Why ? i think the HE fimish is one of the best out there in stock form Glock is the other i just cant see doing it unless the finsh is really warn

Ohh and i like Trijicon wonder if they allow factory pick ups its just up road from me

Agree with ya on the HK finish. I have carryed my HK uSP for over 10 years, 4 of which almost daily and the finish is still showing little wear.

VIP Member
    I'm going to be the really annoying poster who recommends Z while you ask for X or Y.

Check out XS Sights if you haven't already. I have a set of Big Dots on my USPc and love them. I find the rear bar/front dot pattern works faster for me than Trijicon's and Meprolight's three dot systems.

I do like Trijicon's different color rear dots, like a green front and orange rear dots. I think Meprolight offers the same.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Trijicon, and Betty, believe XS uses Trijicon tubes, or if not they do use saphire lens, while Meps use plastic.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Why ?
    I looked at a stainless USP45 and I like it. The NP3 finish seems to be awesome from what I've heard"?

Lead Moderator
    Personally, I don't like the stainless gun idea due to top slide relfection and the shiny factor. More personal prefence than anything. Also check out the Tru Glo sights. Kinda neat idea too.

http://www.truglosights.com/content/...s/category.asp

Thumbs up NP3 on the inside, ROGARD on the outside...

I sent my M1A off to ROBAR for a complete tuneup. The did the interior of the rifle in NP3 and the exterior in ROGARD (black). The effect of that was to virtually eliminate the need to lube the piece. Reason being as metal parts bear against each other the NP3 peels off molecules and the effect is to self lubricate. The other bonus is that cleaning is a snap. Basically just wipe the piece down and run a rod down the barrel with a patch and you're done. But because of the shiny finish, I preferred to keep the NP3 on the inside. The ROGARD is just as good and it's a nice flat black.

My gunsmith, http://www.gun-doc.com/ has always recommended Meprolights as being longer lasting, brighter and less expensive than Trijicons. I almost always put yellow on the rear and a bright green dot on the front so I won't mistake one of my rear sights for the front. It's a nice contrast for these older eyes, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    Meprolights as being longer lasting, brighter and less expensive than Trijicons.
    I don't know, I have a set of 18 year old Trijicons that are still quite bright, Meprolight states up to 15 years of usable light. I know from experience that Meprolights are no brighter than Trijicons, they are sometimes less expensive.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Lead Moderator
    From the reports of local PD officers, they seem to prefer the Trijicon's for durability and longevity.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    From the reports of local PD officers, they seem to prefer the Trijicon's for durability and longevity.
    Ahhh well....I think a lot of that has to do with effective advertising and departmental contracts for the equipment. Very few street cops or administrators for that matter are "into" their firearms enough to really get involved in the small details of such things.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; November 28th, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links