Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I both have one, chem suits, masks and iodine tabs. UHF/VHF 2 ways and so on, we live near a major Air Base ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed?

Wife and I both have one, chem suits, masks and iodine tabs. UHF/VHF 2 ways and so on, we live near a major Air Base and feel it will be a target for hadjii in the future. We also have meeting places and markers worked out in case it goes bad and we are seperated. I think things will start after Jan.20th, 2009 no matter who gets elected. Just hope we wake up this time and follow it to the finish.

2. Remove Ads

B52
    173ABN, I am stationed at that so called major air base. Have you and your wife ever trained doning the chem suits and masks? If so, make sure you practice a lot and have you had your masks fit tested by a Bio-technician to check for leaks, lol. I really doubt you will have to worry about a chemical/biological attack at DM. No offense, but I don't think the terrorist give a rats *** about Tuscon. I believe the folks you need to worry about are the illegal immigrants, meth-heads, and gangbangers. I think a possible natural disaster threat to us is a earthquake, but we are far from the fault zones. As for the Towel Heads trying something here, let them bring it on. There are a lot of gun packing folks here that will give them a good whooping.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    As for the Towel Heads trying something here, let them bring it on. There are a lot of gun packing folks here that will give them a good whooping.
    Agreed, but its tough to fight a coward who prefers bombs to bullets.

With that said, its only a matter of time before the US is attacked again. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Hadjii might not give a hoot about Tucson, but if Tucson is a target that will strike fear and cause the fickle public to sway, Tucson is a target...as is any other place on the map.

Back to go bags; I'm glad to see that most everyones bag is centered around basic needs and not guns and ammo. One thing I like to bring up in these threads is keeping some spare fuel on hand; Never bring your vehicle home with less than a half a tank of gas, and I almost always try and keep a 5 gal can filled in the garage. An extra 5 gal will get you pretty far in a pinch.
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    Sixto, you are right about the gas. I filled my tank before hurricane Katrina hit. I recall the lines for gas stations were about five miles long. It sure did feel good not to have to wait in those lines in order to get home. As for hadjii trying something in the U.S., you are right it's only a matter of time.

BOB in each car.

The usual suspects, MRE's, food for the baby, lots of water, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Living in a coastal community the threat of having to evacuate is always in consideration during the hurricane season.

So.... I keep the motor home packed and ready to go with:

• Food provisions, to last at least two weeks of normal eating, or a month if we went on a diet like I need to
    • Beer, rum and other natural supplements
    • Prescriptions, and other medicine, along with an advanced first aid kid
    • 60 Gallon of freshwater
    • Fuel for at least 500 miles
    • Reserve fuel for a months worth of generator time to recharge the batteries
    • 60 gallon of LP to cook and keep the refrigerator going for a couple of months
    • Clothing, including gortex rain gear
    • 200 rounds of 9 mm in boxes plus, two 32 shot Glock magazines already loaded
    • 30-30 rifle with 100 rounds of ammo in boxes
    • VHF portable radio
    • GPS
    • FM/AM/XM radio receiver
    • TV with long distance antenna
    • Flashlights, and outdoor lighting and replacement lithium batteries that if used every night should last for at least two to three months
    • knifes for skinning, and dressing fish

AMH
    Nope. . .
    I used to, but some how got away from it.
    In the house I keep, extra food, water, medical supplies, ammo, etc.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Has anyone ever had to actually use their bag or heard of someone needing one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Has anyone ever had to actually use their bag or heard of someone needing one?
    On my way home one year (I live in the foothills of the Cascade mountains), a lot of drivers were surprised by the heavy snow and the roads were blocked. I parked my car about 1 mile from home and left on foot with my B.O.B. My wife was already home - having left work early (a luxury I was not allowed). Possessing (and showing them) my B.O.B. got me past the police roadblock - they turned everyone else away.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Well I have been called away for unexpected long distance trips in the past. I grabbed two of my go-bags and was out the door in 30-45 minutes after making arrangements with wife, work and say routine goodbyes and stuff. One of my go-bags is used as a clothing bag that has shaving kit, meds, underwear, socks, shorts, jeans, several design t-shirts and shoes. All I have to add to that is clothes that I don't want wrinkled like button up shirts and Khaki's and such.

In my earlier post I stated I have about 4 or 5 different go-bags which are of a modular design. Different things for different types of adventures. I've learned over the years that seems to work the best. Been kind of a frequent traveler over the years, but not as much in the last 2 years.

Mostly I go out on swat call-ups and that is the gear bag that gets used the most.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

after living through a few hurricanes in florida, we have a few go bags. nothing too awfully "tactical". just emergency supplies, cash, batteries, food for us and the pets, and a little extra ammo.

i've been drooling over the following bag:

MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - BAG OF EVIL - SO TECH MISSION GO BAG

I have several of them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Since I started one of the threads Chooie referenced, I guess I should tell you what I settled on.

I took the advice of several people on many aspects of our bags. We have one in each car. They are really more of a get home bag with a little extra thrown in.

Meal replacement bars (8)
    4 bottles of water
    rain gear
    Auto first aid kit purchased at Walmart
    roll of toilet paper
    sun screen
    lighter
    map of the area
    spare box of .40 cal ammo (wife and I both carry a .40)
    multitool
    extra socks (in my Jeep I have an extra pair of boots)
    extra pair(s) underwear
    1 pair of blue jeans
    2 T-shirts
    (in winter I add a cold weather coat)
    Ball cap
    3 road flares
    ready made contact lens kit
    multi bit screwdriver
    small tube toothpaste
    new toothbrush
    travel size deodorant
    small bar of soap

I am constantly updating the bags. Add some things, maybe replace some things. But this is what I have right now.

I got a good deal on 3 ordinary looking nylon bags, all black with a little white piping, they have shoulder straps and a longer strap to throw the bag over one shoulder. They don't take up much room and are easy to maintain.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Any thoughts of securing an AR as a permanant ride along partner along with "typical" bug out stuff?

My concern is theft of not only weapon, but weapon along with vehicle theft...perhaps starty using the steering wheel club again?

Better options to be offered I hope.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

In response to the question about actually using the bug out bag. Yes I have. Basically I took a three day Kayaking trip. Since I already had a three day BOB packed, I grabbed it and went. I made a few minor modifications and grabbed a couple extra items, but basically it was just grab and go.

I was the most prepared member of the trip. In fact the stuff I had went a long way towards making the trip better. The first night we dumped the canoe and got everything wet. I used MRE packaging to start the fire, which works GREAT. And I used my single burner to dry out the tent. It made a huge difference.

We were a long way from anybody, because we were on the river during the week so it was just us. I was one of the people in the canoe when it turned over. I got pined up against a tree and smacked around a little bit. I didn't need medical treatment, but that's when I found out that I was the only one carrying medical supplies. Cell phones didn't work so we didn't bring them.

I'm not trying to turn this into a thread on my vacation, but I'm making the point that it took me a long time to put all of that stuff into that bag. It paid off because I was better prepared than those who prepared at the last minute. I think that a survival situation would play out the same way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links