Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed? - Page 3

Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad to know that I'm not going to be the only that will survive. Something that seems to be missing from a lot of packs ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have A "Go Bag" Packed?

Glad to know that I'm not going to be the only that will survive. Something that seems to be missing from a lot of packs are some kind of hi-visibility marker if lost. When I was in the "sandbox" during Desert Storm we had these neat markers that were issued to us about 2 feet square that we could mark a location that is made of hi vis orange/pink. A must if you are out in the boonies. Even those of us that Never get lost may need it if injured, something like this from a commercial source: Signal Panel Marker .
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

I am still trying to figure out how, if SHTF, we can still check in on DC????
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Army22rpr View Post
    Glad to know that I'm not going to be the only that will survive. Something that seems to be missing from a lot of packs are some kind of hi-visibility marker if lost. When I was in the "sandbox" during Desert Storm we had these neat markers that were issued to us about 2 feet square that we could mark a location that is made of hi vis orange/pink. A must if you are out in the boonies. Even those of us that Never get lost may need it if injured, something like this from a commercial source: Signal Panel Marker .

If we're bugging out it's for a reason. Do you really want to mark yourself (even if injured)?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Not if you ARE bugging out. I was just answering those that had a a pack for all reasons. I have a bag packed for emergencies, that I also use for hiking/backpacking to rotate items and the markers are great for signaling for help. How many of us have heard of stories of day hikers that got lost/injured in a remote area that saw rescurers but could not signal/mark location?
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Has anyone ever had to actually use their bag or heard of someone needing one?
    Just as you train with your firearms, train with your BoB and EDC. My wife and I once a year "Bug Out". This has been very valuable in learning what we were missing from out BoB's, what we didnt need to lug around, and how to get to the hills. Now granted we only go out for a few nights, and there is no major disaster choking the highways, but just being able to test out your gear lets you know what works, whats junk, and builds confidence in your ability to bail out if a situation would call for it. Each of our disaster drills have not only boosted our self reliance, but with no T.V., computer, or cell phones its amazing how conected we feel after one of these weekends, seeing how we actually had to really talk to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    If we're bugging out it's for a reason. Do you really want to mark yourself (even if injured)?
    Don't assume there is only one reason to need your BOB.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

jfl
    No. Too many variables.

I believe more in personal resources than equipment.

Living in South Florida we, of course, have what we need to survive a couple of weeks on our own, in case of hurricane.
    We stayed 21 days without power a few years ago and we are on well water !!! Happy to have a small generator to run the well pump and the fridge.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Oh yeah. My wife and I have a small rolling suitcase that we keep with us at all times. It has a few changes of clothing for both of us, some important paperwork, cell phone charger, camera, etc. That way, when she goes into labor soon, we'll be able to go straight to the hospital if we need to. That's what you meant, right?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

BAC
    Actually, agentmel, that's exactly what was meant.

The whole concept of bug-out-bags, "go bags", etc., is that they're personalized to help YOU survive whatever you're planning for. If it's just a bag specialized to help you and your wife (I'd throw some Power Bars or something to munch on in there; a cigar and matches, too, given the scenario ) then that's what it is. My bag is more like a 3-day miniaturized camping pack. Like JudoJake, I can grab mine and a couple other things and be set for a weekend (or longer) outing to wherever. It suits my needs, like yours suits yours.

-B

I have a get out of town bag. My home is in the western part of VA and I have a temporary townhouse in Richmond, VA. It's a 168 miles each way. I have two bags - my ar15 w/ sling along with 8, 30 rounds mags and 4 belt mag holders. The other bag is my Travel pistol, G22 with 9, 15 round mags, holster, 2 double mag holders and a cold steel fixed blade. The gas tank is alway full.
    We make the trip at least once per week but as of the 19th we are out of Richmond for good and at SML full time.
    Depending on the out come tonight, I may advance my departure.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you don't nuke, bio, or chem me...I'm staying right here. Woods around me, and neighbors with machine guns...I have lots of ammo...various guns...everything else needed for an 'extended stay'.

Stay armed...keep buying extra ammo...stay safe!

I have a "go bag" and am headed to Retsup99's house!
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Back when I had a 30 mile each way commute, I always had a backpack in the vehicle for times when I had to unexpectedly change clothes, stay the night, or whatever. Normal basics - extra clothes, food, water, tools, first aid, etc. Since I no longer commute that far, I've gotten a bit lazy. HOWEVER, the baby bag I now carry in the Jeep has taken on double duty - some of her stuff, some of mine. I don't think that's what my wife intended, but it works.

On a similar note, it took my wife some time to get used to me always having my cloths ready at the bedside should I have to get up in the middle of the night at a moments notice. Pants, sweatshirt, shoes, socks, etc. - I've done that my whole adult life. I also have the G22 with about 80 rds in various mags, D-cell Maglite, and a spare Leatherman in a bag at bedside as well (though it gets moved out of reach daily since the kids are getting older).

Great info on BOB´s (after i learned what it meant, that is)

checked all links and posts. some are very well thought out setups. but i kept running into same defect in the items you carry. (if i recall right only ONE post mentioned this).

In My Mind One Crucial Item Forgotten.
    SALT.
    you need to replace the salts in your system as well as your water.
    you need it to preserve the food you hunt (on longer bugouts)
    you might want to add some flavour too on your mre´s dont you?

salt n pepper is in my kit, and it is Seasalt.

SeaSalt -it has minerals your body requires, tablesalt (NaCl) is "purified" and doesnt have those minerals. tablesalt is not as good for you if you are living with less than perfect nutrition. (its tough task for your body to clear natrium, and also it makes you thirsty, more than equal amount of seasalt)

other things that might be useful.

mineral tablets.
    energy tablets.
    multivitamin tabs.

and

Iodine tablets in case of nuclear mishap. iodized salt would work in a pinch. (radioactive iodine collects into the thyroidgland and can cause cancer later and it cant collect into gland if its filled with good iodine:)

hmm i think i have heard of ionized seasalt too.. need to check that.

-yeah, i live near nuke plant :(

Other thoughts about weapons.

1st choice that you take is THE gun. The gun you trust the most. the gun you know well. the one you take with you when you absolutely need it to work and save you. the one you feel naked without if shtf.

2nd the back up to 1st. (if the 1st is shotgun/rifle then 2nd a handgun or vice versa.)

3rd think if do you need it and can you really carry a third or is it just extra weight?

4th think about the ammo. do not take a gun one that uses exotics. more common ammo the better. you might run out/loose them and need to loan. having a .380 is no fun to have when others carry 9mm or .45´s.

here i would personally have something in 12ga, 9mm, .308 and .22 or .223. most common calibers that are used here. -in general and also by my friends.

5th if buggin out with friends/family. you are better off with using same or similar guns with same caliber and mags, and all know how to use each others guns. there is reason why army gives similar weapons to soldiers. know one, know them all.

My personal weaponry if need to bug out.
    1st. shotgun with chokes. (slugs, buckshots, birdshots -for hunting).
    2nd 9mm (havent got one yet)
    3rd gun a .22 with silencer. (not to draw too much attention to my whereabouts what ever the mission is)
    3rd gun plan b. the rifle for bigger game and distance. (shotgun slugs work just fine in most areas i might bug out to.)

to be completely honest. my ultimate 1st priority to have with me would be a good knife. other stuff comes after that.

-gonna start buying stuff for my BOB next week. car (4x4) is pretty much equipped with useful stuff. but might need to make a separate Bag just in case.

i know i can make one with 30mins or so just by collecting stuff from around the house, but that 1. leaves the house without ´em. 2. takes time to pack, time that might be crucial.

-ah remembered few items that were not mentioned more than couple times in other posts.
    something against snake bites if snakes are around.
    and some general antihistamine.
    also
    diarrhea remedy, painkillers, antibiotics.

(whats wrong with me today as all i think is pills and tablets hahahhah)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    Great info on BOB´s (after i learned what it meant, that is)

checked all links and posts. some are very well thought out setups. but i kept running into same defect in the items you carry. (if i recall right only ONE post mentioned this).

In My Mind One Crucial Item Forgotten.
    SALT.
    you need to replace the salts in your system as well as your water.
    you need it to preserve the food you hunt (on longer bugouts)
    you might want to add some flavour too on your mre´s dont you?

salt n pepper is in my kit, and it is Seasalt.

SeaSalt -it has minerals your body requires, tablesalt (NaCl) is "purified" and doesnt have those minerals. tablesalt is not as good for you if you are living with less than perfect nutrition. (its tough task for your body to clear natrium, and also it makes you thirsty, more than equal amount of seasalt)

other things that might be useful.

mineral tablets.
    energy tablets.
    multivitamin tabs.

and

Iodine tablets in case of nuclear mishap. iodized salt would work in a pinch. (radioactive iodine collects into the thyroidgland and can cause cancer later and it cant collect into gland if its filled with good iodine:)

hmm i think i have heard of ionized seasalt too.. need to check that.

-yeah, i live near nuke plant :(
    Olkiluoto? The company I work for is building the new unit there.

Good call on the salt - I keep a box or two in my home stores, but never thought about my bag... of course, with the way my wife uses salt, we may as well just mount a salt lick on the wall!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links