Wearing 5.11's

Wearing 5.11's

This is a discussion on Wearing 5.11's within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thoughts on wearing 5.11's or other "tactical clothing". I wear 5.11 pants quite often. I have found them to be the best, most durable "cargo ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wearing 5.11's

Wearing 5.11's

Thoughts on wearing 5.11's or other "tactical clothing". I wear 5.11 pants quite often. I have found them to be the best, most durable "cargo pants" available anywhere regardless of price. One can spend more money on name brand cargo pants and end up with inferior clothing. If the fact that I'm wearing 5.11's points out that I'm carrying a concealed handgun, then so be it. The only people who notice any particular type of specialty clothing are the folks that clothing was designed and built for in the first place. Most folks don't notice skater kids wearing Vans shoes. Skater kids do. Folks don't notice Luchese boots. Cowboys do. I don't notice high dollar Europeon cut suits. I don't wear them. Only women who carry $1,000 handbags notice $1,000 handbags; well I may be wrong on that one....

When I see someone in 5.11's, the term "tactical wannabe" never enters my mind. What I see is a probably armed person, and I think "Cool....someone else who will shock the crap out of a bad guy". So, I'll go on wearing 5.11's. The sheep will never notice. The people who do notice....for the most part; I trust.

pcctex

5.11 has the "concealed tactical pants" now. You hardly know that they are "tactical", but they got all the nice pockets.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I like 5.11 pants and have several pairs of them. I doubt that 98% of the people around here can distinguish them from Wrangler cargoes. I like the fit and the pockets. While I think the pants are inconspicuous enough I'm not about to wear one of those tactical vests.

You are absolutly right. Originaly, only persons with a LE background and range staff/small arms instructors where into 5.11. Now they have migrated to the shooting community at large, but that is still a small niche of the overall population. The 2 bit hood rat isn't going to think twice about a par of 5.11s. If you are not a shooter who keeps company with other shooters you will not know what 5.11 means. But all the right people will know what 5.11s are.-Jay

P.S. I have been wearing 5.11s since they where made by Royal Robbins, before the 5.11 company even got started.

I won the 5.11 anniversary contest last year so I have a ton of 5.11 stuff. Since I am a gray man, I only wear them when training or instructing.

I do find the pants to be durable, but for me they are not the most comfortable. I do like the Professional Polos a lot, one of the more comfy shirts I've worn.

I agree that those vests are hideous.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

5.11...I have a vest and seldom wear it.

I live in the shorts...wear them almost every day.
    I love FL!

5.11 shorts and a large T-shirt does not attract attention.

Stay armed...concealed is concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been sporting 5.11 shorts for the past couple of yrs and I love them. I mostly wear them for work, but I'm gettin into wearing them casually. I will admit that i've never worn the long pant version, but I plan to remedy that this fall.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'm awaiting delivery of my first two pair of 5.11 pants. I do have a two pair of Woolrich Elite pants, and I absolutely love them, especially the lightweight version.

I discovered 5.11's years ago at a mountaineering store. The were produced for quite a while under a different name as mountaineering pants by Royal Robbins. Nothing particularly different from other mountaineering pants, except they are less expensive and have deeper pockets for pocket carry. I wear them all the time. I use the quick dry nylon ones for backpacking and the cotton ones for day to day use.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I bought the 5.11 vest right after I got my CCL, then I got the holster and double mag pouch for the vest's hidden compartments. Discovered really fast that even a small 3 inch 1911 isn't "tac-practical" for carry in the vest. Next got the pants, the tee's, and the free hat's of course, before long I looked like a walking 5.11 bill-board. I wonder how many of us when we first get our CCL's go a little over-board on the cover clothing.
    I still wear 5.11's (love the stuff), but in moderation, except for the 5.11 trainer belts which I wear with my jeans and shorts all the time. I keep the vest in my closet and wear for matches.
    Needless to say, you guys are right, most times the unwashed masses are oblivious to anything in their surroundings.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I have one of the vests, DigiCamo even... So far, when wearing it I'm asked either if I'm a photographer or going hunting... Granted, it does come in handy as I work at a TV station...

The Tru-Spec tac-pants aren't bad either...

I like the shorts, and use the belt for my uniform since it provides a very stable platform for a drop leg holster
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I wear 5.11's close to everyday now. I got use to wearing BDUs while in the service and when I left I felt weird not wearing them. I actually remember seeing the Trainees in Quantico wearing what was then Royal Robbins and ask them where I can get them but I was told that they were issued to them. so, I was happy when 5.11 commercialized them and offered them to the public.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Question

With all the good reviews on this thread, I'm hoping someone will recommend a good on-line seller I could buy a pair (or two) of 5.11 from.

Anyone?

Thanks.
    V

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links