Defensive Carry banner

Searching for right Flashlight

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  chuckE 
#1 ·
I am looking for the smallest possible AA powered, push button activated flashlight I can find for pocket carry. I would prefer it to be $30 or less and under 3.5” in length.

So far I have a Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight that is a little over 4” long. I really like this flashlight as it is really bright and sturday. I would just like something a little shorter if it is out there. I would carry in my back left pocket. Whether or not it has a clip is not important.

I have a Romisen (MXDL) RC-C3 Cree LED Flashlight (only 2.8” long !!!) on order that fits the bill perfectly except it is the twisty type and I would really prefer a push button.

Please suggest a few that might meet my criteria, if they’re out there.

Thanks

#2 ·
This ups your price a little bit, but Fenix lights are some of the best lights you can get for the money. They're very durable and functional little lights, and will last for years.

I carry a Fenix L1T V2.0, which meets all your requirements except price, but even there it's only $45. On normal AA's, it's rated at 98 lumens, but I stuck a 3.6V 14500 battery in it for a little boost. No issues at all, and it's noticeably brighter than my L2T V2.0 (rated 152 lumens).

#3 ·
The tail switch adds length to the light, sometimes as much as an inch. If you want a short light that you control from the tail, look into the NiteCore D10.

https://www.nitecoreusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=502

It is 3.5" long, compared to the L1T V2.0's 3.7". It's not much difference, but is rated for higher output, too. Unfortunately, it goes for $59. I think that your requirements are a bit unreasonable (size, price, output). You need to pick two, because that's all you're going to get.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info

Your comments line up with my research...thanks for the input guys.

I just ordered a Fenix L1T V2.0...I think that fits the bill nicely.
($45.50 shipped)
AA
Pushbutton
3.7" length
0.82" Width
98 Lumens

My RC-G2 is significantly larger. It'll be used as the nightstand light.
4.21" length
1.08" Width
1,350 lux = 125.4 lumen/square foot.

(Is that what people mean when they just say lumens is lumen/sqFt?)

#5 ·
Your comments line up with my research...thanks for the input guys.

I just ordered a Fenix L1T V2.0...I think that fits the bill nicely.
($45.50 shipped)
AA
Pushbutton
3.7" length
0.82" Width
98 Lumens

My RC-G2 is significantly larger. It'll be used as the nightstand light.
4.21" length
1.08" Width
1,350 lux = 125.4 lumen/square foot.

(Is that what people mean when they just say lumens is lumen/sqFt?)
quoted lumen numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's the actual definition, if you're interested. A lumen, by definition is a measure over a fixed 3D angular area - 1 steradian.

Congrats on joining the Fenix crowd! You really should look into the 14500 battieries. It's a little bit of an investment, but it puts the light on par with the larger CR123 lights.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

The Fenix L1T V2.0I($45.50) just bought costs 4X what my Romison RC-G2($11.30), and I think the Romison is quite solid and VERY bright with a AA battery.

So I hope you're right that the Fenix is even better...I would be Uber-Impressed if that is the case.

Size was the a very important consideration for me(Fenix is .51" shorter and.26"thinner than my RC-G2), so the smaller diameter of the Fenix will make it much more comfortable in my weak side(L) back pocket.

I came to the conclusion that it just makes sense to carry a small light. They are so small and powerful now. What is your most important sense....your sight. Simply turning out the lights on someone can cause havoc. I decided to be prepared at all times.

#8 ·
Good advice so far. I would not buy anything from dealextreme to seriously serve in any capacity. Saturday night special flashlights, LOL.

#9 ·
I seem to have a surplus of the 123 battery after trying to make a ghetto version of the Surefire flashlight. It works great and brighter than the sun, but the lightbulb burns out within 10 minutes or so.

Are there any inexpensive flashlights about the size of a Mini Maglight that takes the 123 battery (s)?

TIA

#10 ·
The surefire G2 is a good option for you; it can often be found in the $25 range on e-Bay, or for full price $36 from many online retailers with extra free batteries. If you want something even cheaper than that, you can get a cheap flashlight from DealExtreme, such as the $17.30 Romisen RC-M4. It's up to you. The Romisen is cheaper and brighter, but feels cheaper and isn't as well made or as water resistant as the Surefire G2.

#12 ·
Hi, OK I will add my 2 cents worth. Even though I am in the Philippines at the moment I did come across a fantastic flashlight for only $66.00. I believe it has 170 lumans but don't quote me. It is the brightest light I've seen in a small package. Here is their web site:

Zweibrüder Optoelectronics - High Performance Line

You may have to type in the address yourself due to my incompetence, sorry. It is a German base Co. but all I can say is that my P7 lite is very bright and very well made.

Best,
Rhome

#13 ·
They are also known as the US brand name Coast. They make some good products. I have some of their older models and loved them until technology surpassed them. Their new models look really nice.

#15 ·
I say if you want a good small light. I carry a novatac 120. It costa about $120.00 and take a cr123 battery, but it is a great little lite and also strobes to blind someone also. Google it and read all about it. maybe down the road when you want to spend moore money or stick with the surefire g2 it is also a great lite.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.