Glock 23 Magazine problem

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Magazine problem within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have what must be the original 13 round mag for the 2nd gen G23. IIRC, I got the gun through a friend around the ...

Thread: Glock 23 Magazine problem

Glock 23 Magazine problem

I have what must be the original 13 round mag for the 2nd gen G23. IIRC, I got the gun through a friend around the 10 round mag BS so I also got a 10 round mag at the same time as the gun.

It's been quite a while since I re-discovered my gun and now I remember why I don't use the 13 round mag anymore. It seems that with anything more than a few rounds in the magazine, the mag doesn't want to come out the gun by itself. It seems like with 10 rounds (for example), the magazine bulges out enough so that the sides rub inside the mag well and I have to manually pull the mag out.

It shoots fine as I remember using it at the range when I took the CCW class.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I just get a new mag and toss this one?
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    It seems like with 10 rounds (for example), the magazine bulges out enough so that the sides rub inside the mag well
    Bulging seems to indicate no metal liner in the mag tube. I suggest trying a new magazine. If the new one works, toss the old one.

I'll send you a new one in exchange for the old one- seriously.

I just took another look and it has a metal lip at the top of the mag where it feeds and the rounds indicator works so it seems like it has a metal liner.

Also, though I got this gun while in California, the mag has no markings that it is LE only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Bulging seems to indicate no metal liner in the mag tube. I suggest trying a new magazine. If the new one works, toss the old one.

I have what must be the original 13 round mag for the 2nd gen G23. IIRC, I got the gun through a friend around the 10 round mag BS so I also got a 10 round mag at the same time as the gun.

It's been quite a while since I re-discovered my gun and now I remember why I don't use the 13 round mag anymore. It seems that with anything more than a few rounds in the magazine, the mag doesn't want to come out the gun by itself. It seems like with 10 rounds (for example), the magazine bulges out enough so that the sides rub inside the mag well and I have to manually pull the mag out.

It shoots fine as I remember using it at the range when I took the CCW class.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I just get a new mag and toss this one?
    #1. How much do you want for the G23 mags and all? (okay, just kidding, but by the sounds of your 're-discovering' the pistol it's ben caked up with lint and hair in a corner somewhere.
    #2. The "original" 13 round magazines for the G23 were NDF (non-drop free), or NFML (not full metal lined) just front and both sides.
    #3. These magazines were designed to do exactly as you describe...stick in the pistol until only a couple rounds were left in the mag. It's not a flaw per se, just the design which does make sense as Glock pistols were designed for combat and not IDPA from the start.
    #4. Yes, with anything more than a couple of rounds in this magazine, you'll have to manually pull if from the mag well upon depressing the mag release.
    #5. If you use some Armor-All on this pesky mag, things might go alot smoother.
    #6. Why are you trying to eject the mag while it still has ammo in it?
    #7. Your issue is not a malfunction.
    #8. As stated previously---if you feel uncomfortable with that mag in particular, then take an offer to trade for the FML (full metal lined) magazine. It sure beats loosing sleep over.
    #9. I sure wish I had a G23 with any G23 magazines!

#6 - I was just fiddling with the gun to feel how heavy it felt with the 10 round mag vs the 13 round mag.

As long as the mag functions as it's supposed to, I'm not going to worry.

Thanks Ramrod - I love it here. :)

And since I last shot the gun actively, I've had three kids and moved to AZ from CA, so yes it's been a while.

#6 - I was just fiddling with the gun to feel how heavy it felt with the 10 round mag vs the 13 round mag.

As long as the mag functions as it's supposed to, I'm not going to worry.

Thanks Ramrod - I love it here. :)

And since I last shot the gun actively, I've had three kids and moved to AZ from CA, so yes it's been a while.
    Kudos on the move from Cali! Hope you get to know your Glock a bit more this time around. I call my local gun shop every so often to check on used Glock mags. They usually have some trade ins well worth the price. I do have one 10 rounder and one 13 rounder G23 mags with grip sleeves I got for use in my G27. I have several NDF mags for my G17 and one for my G19. No flaw in the design, changes were made by popular demand of the end user. Any time this site won't help you
    The Glock FAQ
    Just ask here or PM me. I'm glad you're here.

I too shoot a 2nd gen G23 with 13 round mags, with Glock +2 floorplates. Ramrod is exactly right, the early mags didn't drop free, non metal lined. I replaced all mine with the drop free design. I have carried this gun for 12+ years and I just added a set of TFO sights and a CT laser and I fell in love with this old hunk of plastic again!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

After thinking about it for a day, I think I'd prefer one that does drop free.

Since I know it's not a defective mag, I decided to take Shizzle up on his offer and exchange mags.

Thanks all.

Sounds good...so long as it puts more love in your eye for that lonely G23, and gets you to the range more often is all that counts. Shizzlemah's good for helping you out. I'd have offered to do that with my 13 rounder, but it's got a set screw mark from the grip sleeve, and those don't work well on the NDF mags. We do have a wonderful network of knowledgeable and helpful individuals on this board. You don't get that experience most other places.

Links