Crimson Trace for the Keltec

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace for the Keltec within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys feel free to move this if its in the wrong place. Thinking of getting a crimson trace laser for my p3at. Anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace for the Keltec

Crimson Trace for the Keltec

hey guys feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.
    Thinking of getting a crimson trace laser for my p3at.
    Anyone have any experiance with these.
    they are all over ebay for about 150.00 shipped.
    my p3at is my primary unless im walking around seattle.

I Am kinda concerned about the added girth of the trigger guard as i have monster hands. I do have the grip extender thing that i pirated of a crunched bersa mag.
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Pro...9/Default.aspx

thanks
    -brian
    Last edited by Macattack; August 12th, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: derrr
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

Hi Neighbor

I have been contemplating the same thing. Please post a review if you go ahead and get the CT, please.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

VIP Member
    My take on these, and it is based on guess and not experience, is that the type of encounter in which you are likely to use a handgun will generally be so close- in, that point shooting --shove it at them and shoot-- is the likely scenario.

I don't see lasers are being especially helpful close in.

I'm willing to be convinced one way or the other by anyone who has had real world experience and training with these things.

I have to agree with Hopyard here. The kel-Tecs are made for BUGs and deep concealment. At the distance you would be using guns like this, think large elevator ranges, a laser would seem superfluous.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

crimson trace for the keltec

I have a Kel-Tec P32. The range I shoot at has a 15 yard and 25 yard setup.
    I find this a little long for a bug. I thought a laser for practice might get me on target faster. Also I can practice my draw and see how close I am on target at home without firing using snap caps.
    I looked at the Crimson Trace and also the Armalaser and found for me, the Crimson Trace switch felt bulky. I opted for the Armalaser that has its switch on the inside of the trigger guard that senses your finger on the trigger. It does not take any pressure to turn it on. I felt the Crimson Trace on the front of the trigger guard affected my grip.
    Just my $.02.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I did a little testing last week with my new Crimson Trace laser for the Kel-Tec P32. My Kel-Tec is one of the early versions with the laughingly pathetic "sights."

The task was a head shot from a modified Sul position. Four iterations each at 3, 5, and 7 yards.

Crimson Trace Laser test
    TARGET: LET CG-2 (T Box =-0, Balance of Head =-1
    AMMUNITION: Winchester Ball .32 ACP

Pistol Kel-Tec P32
    8/5/2008

Range Time
    3 Yards
    Average 1.00

5 Yards
    Average 1.18

7 Yards
    Average 1.42

It fits very nicely in my Elite Survival Pocket Holster.
    Attached Images
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Anything to help in a terrifying situation is good to me. I'm waiting for the LCP model for my daughter's gun. She's already a great shot, but a laser can't hurt.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I know lasers are goofy on just about any pistol, but a keltec!?? Dont waste your money.

Also, "headshots" are not exactly the best way to us the 32acp; There are plenty of documented SD shootings that the 32ACP just doesnt have the umpf to penetrate thick skulls.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I love the CT product line and I believe lasers can play a very important role in a SD situation and many agree with this. Not so sure I would place them on a gun as small as a KelTec 32 or 380 for that matter. I will say that I love them on my G23. For a great place to buy from with free shipping and lifetime batteries go to Shooters-resource.com and tell Chuck Kevin from NC sent you.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have CT's on other guns, but not my Keltec. I prefer to keep it as light and bulk free as possible, so it rides in my pocket with ease. I do use the CT on my other guns for dry fire and point shooting practice, as it serves to verify my point of aim.
    I suppose at odd angles or positions, you might find yourself in it could be valuable. Most defensive situations will be up close.

Most defensive situations will be up close.
    You are so right, and when you are up close and personal the traditional Weaver Stance isn't going to work. The firearm needs to stay low n tight. Point shooting comes into play as you may not be able to raise the firearm to view the sights. This is where I believe the laser shines, especially for practice drills. Maybe I am wrong about not having them on the Keltec as given the situation I just described I could see it being very useful.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have had three KT's...still have the .32 and a .380. I have had these last two for almost 5 years...I can't see any reason for a CT on either.
    KT's are shoot 'em in the eye guns...I would save my $$$ if it were my decision.

Stay armed...don't need no stinkin' lasers...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I really like my ArmaLaser on my P-3AT a lot!!! Crimson Trace on a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP would be just about as nice!

Here's why:
    1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). Not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

This is my review on the ArmaLaser:
    The Kel-Tec Range :: View topic - Review of ArmaLaser on Kel-Tec P-3AT

To those detractors that haven't actually tried it, all I can say is - "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it"!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My take on these, and it is based on guess and not experience, is that the type of encounter in which you are likely to use a handgun will generally be so close- in, that point shooting --shove it at them and shoot-- is the likely scenario.

I don't see lasers are being especially helpful close in.

I'm willing to be convinced one way or the other by anyone who has had real world experience and training with these things.
    My take as well. IMO lasers are fun to have on a range gun but I wouldn't have them on my carry guns.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I found this listing for a armalaser for the Keltec and thought I would post it for you.

THR

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links