Need Recommendations on Pistol Safe

Need Recommendations on Pistol Safe

This is a discussion on Need Recommendations on Pistol Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched the site and I must be an idiot because I can't find much. However, I'm thinking about putting a safe in my bedroom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendations on Pistol Safe

Question Need Recommendations on Pistol Safe

I searched the site and I must be an idiot because I can't find much. However, I'm thinking about putting a safe in my bedroom so I can keep my pistol loaded and ready to go. I've got a 14 and 16 year old in the house and even though I taught them to respect and not touch the gun, I want to increase my safety factor. Thanks in advance for the help and if anyone wants to yell at me and tell me how to find stuff, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryDonlan View Post
    I searched the site and I must be an idiot because I can't find much. However, I'm thinking about putting a safe in my bedroom so I can keep my pistol loaded and ready to go. I've got a 14 and 16 year old in the house and even though I taught them to respect and not touch the gun, I want to increase my safety factor. Thanks in advance for the help and if anyone wants to yell at me and tell me how to find stuff, I'm all ears.
    Have you ever considered taking them to the range with you, getting some some basic firearms training that emphasizes safe firearms handling and then enjoy shooting with two of the best friends you could ever have and enjoy that special relationship between fathers and sons even more than you do now.

If you don't trust them at this age, you need to figure out why.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Gunvalt makes one that is high priced but nice.

Lightbulb Paranoid versus trust

Texian, it is not that I don't trust them, just that I probably worry too much. However, your idea about taking them to the range is a great one. I'm going to do that this weekend.

Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryDonlan View Post
    I'm going to do that this weekend.
    Hey that's great!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    +1 on the GunVault, mine works great and you get a loaded pistol in seconds, even in the dark.

Keep in mind, that the electronic ones, although extremely convenient, are still prone to electro-mechanical issues, dead batteries, eyt.

I use a purely mechanical one (see thumbnail), with a settable combination. It's easy to "feel" in the dark, and will never fail due to low battery or other issues.

It's available at Cabela's and other places (V-Line):
    Cabela's -- V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Kovernm; August 19th, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Inserting Pics

I like my Gunvault. I also bought a cheaper imitation and it is a piece of crap, can't trust it to open.Stick with a top brand, GUNvault.

Gunvault!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Keep in mind, that the electronic ones, although extremely convenient, are still prone to electro-mechanical issues, dead batteries, eyt.

I use a purely mechanical one (see thumbnail), with a settable combination. It's easy to "feel" in the dark, and will never fail due to low battery or other issues.
    Normally I would agree but one could make the argument that the mechanical safe pictured is just as prone to failure. After having owned a GunVault for over 4 years, I am only on my second set of batteries and it has worked flawlessly. It even alerts you when it has been tampered with and lets you know when the battery is getting low on juice. If one were really concerned, they could replace the batteries annually with the smoke detectors. Give it a try Jon, I think you will likey.

Plus the Gunvault (mini deluxe at least) has a power cord option (cord sold separately, of course!). If you're worried about batteries running out, this solves it.

Disclaimer: I don't know that other brands don't have this option too; I've only really researched Gunvaults so far.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KSJustice View Post
    +1 on the GunVault, mine works great and you get a loaded pistol in seconds, even in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I like my Gunvault. I also bought a cheaper imitation and it is a piece of crap, can't trust it to open.Stick with a top brand, GUNvault.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowder View Post
    Gunvault!
    FYI, it seems that there are a few people here that are really sold on Gun Vault, however, there are Gun Vault owners who are not at all happy with quality, warranty and customer service.

Check out the two threads that are running on another forum below. The first one is the most recent. The second link is the same as the one referred to in the first thread and contains photos of broken Gun Vault safes and how to repair them yourself as Gun Vault does not repair products that are out of warranty.

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Gun Vault repairs?

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - GunVault Poor Quality/Customer Service - Pics/Review

Well, based on the reviews above, I will stick with my mechanical one. As mentioned, I don't have to worry about batteries, power issues, springs, cables, circuit boards, electronics, etc.

I just push some buttons and turn the knob.

It's funny that I say that, becuase I am a computer technician, but sometimes simpler is better.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have a GunVault Multi Deluxe, The light in the middle of the night is good, it's springloaded and it's easy to setup.

Shop around you can get a good deal on one.

They just came out with a biometric one, just out the finger on it and it pops open..

GunVault - Gun Safes for Home or Office - Home
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links