NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss

This is a discussion on NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While doing some research I came across some information useful to shooters: sensitive structures in our inner ear can be damaged, causing noise-induced hearing loss ...

Thread: NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss

While doing some research I came across some information useful to shooters:
    sensitive structures in our inner ear can be damaged, causing noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). These sensitive structures, called hair cells, are small sensory cells in the inner ear that convert sound energy into electrical signals that travel to the brain. Once damaged, our hair cells cannot grow back.

Scientists once believed that the pure force of vibrations from loud sounds caused the damage to hair cells. Instead, recent studies have shown that exposure to harmful noise triggers the formation of molecules inside the ear that can damage or kill hair cells.
    In a recent study, however, the antioxidants in salicylate (aspirin) and Trolox (vitamin E) were given to guinea pigs as long as three days after noise exposure and still significantly reduced hearing loss. These results suggest that there is a window of opportunity in which it is possible to rescue hearing from noise trauma. Scientists hope to begin clinical trials with humans with the goal of reducing NIHL.
    The entire article can be found at the National Institute of Health. Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

2. Remove Ads

Wish I knew this stuff back when I played in a rock band!

I take good care of my hearing now, but what's done is done.

Is that the phone or just the normal ringing in my ears.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Too late for me.

I have constant ringing in my ears and at 44 yo, I started wearing hearing aides. :(
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    Too late for me.

I have constant ringing in my ears and at 44 yo, I started wearing hearing aides. :(
    I've had some since I was 28 or so.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    It's never too late to protect what you have left or to pass on some wisdom to your families.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Get the phone!

My ears ring so bad, I walk into a room, and people answer their phones.

Years of rock concerts, and shooting rivets even with ear plugs can't be undone. I can live with the hearing loss, but the ringing drives me nutz.

The ringing keeps me up some nights.

Sometimes I tell people that Ipods can screw up your hearing and they just look at me like I'm stupid - just the way I used to look at old people when I was young.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    My ears ring so bad, I walk into a room, and people answer their phones.

Years of rock concerts, and shooting rivets even with ear plugs can't be undone. I can live with the hearing loss, but the ringing drives me nutz.
    I've had hearing loss for long time. I'm just stubborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I've had some since I was 28 or so.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    What?

Didnt hear you clearly
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I regularly take aspirin and vitamin E. I also use hearing protection when shooting. Do I get the bonus round? :)
    Seriously though....no matter what I've thought, all of my yearly company hearing tests have always come back with flying colors! Surprising actually knowing my history.

Mine don't ring but sounds like someone letting the air of of a car tire. hisssssssssssssssssss
    Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions. -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I regularly take aspirin and vitamin E. I also use hearing protection when shooting. Do I get the bonus round? :)
    Seriously though....no matter what I've thought, all of my yearly company hearing tests have always come back with flying colors! Surprising actually knowing my history.
    Ah yes, the famous hearing conservation program. Do they ask questions about your hobbies to let them off the hook? Oddly, as my hearing got worse and worse, Boeing documented it getting better on an annual basis.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Ringing ears, called tinitus, is horrible. I have had it for more than 20 years now. It is actually a tone heard within the ear itself and you cannot shut it off.

Mine is from being around tank gunfire without proper hearing protection. I wish now that I had heeded the warning.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I regularly take aspirin and vitamin E.
    You might want to reconsider vitamin E, depending on how much you take in total. Years ago, vitamin E was thought to prevent cancer, due to its antioxidant effects. Several studies over the last 10-15 years have shown that it has no protective effect against cancer.

Now there are newer reports showing that vitamin E supplements might actually INCREASE mortality. A new analysis of many prior studies suggests increased mortality in people with chronic diseases taking 400 IU/day or more of vitamin E. Some researchers now suspect that high doses of vitamin E might displace other antioxidants and have a "PRO-oxidant" effect.

So, if you are taking 400 IU/day or more (include both any from multivits and any as Vit E alone), you might want to take a second look.

i can still hear tv's and flourescent likes buzzing through doors etc. I'm sure i've lost some hearing - but growing up in the country with the loudest thing (short of gunfire) was the livestock probably did some good in helping to preserve my ears.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    In a recent study, however, the antioxidants in salicylate (aspirin) and Trolox (vitamin E) were given to guinea pigs as long as three days after noise exposure and still significantly reduced hearing loss. These results suggest that there is a window of opportunity in which it is possible to rescue hearing from noise trauma.
    I wish Id known that years ago when I ruined my ears going to too many Heavy Metal concerts without ear protection I now have severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. I cant even flush my toilet without at least putting cotton wool in my ears!
    Im timeless like a broken watch

Links