My Winter SHOOT THROUGH Carry Coat

This is a discussion on My Winter SHOOT THROUGH Carry Coat within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As P95Carry Chris and a few other forum members expressed serious concerns about being able to gain QUICK Access to their Carry Firearm during COLD ...

Thread: My Winter SHOOT THROUGH Carry Coat

Administrator

My Winter SHOOT THROUGH Carry Coat

As P95Carry Chris and a few other forum members expressed serious concerns about being able to gain QUICK Access to their Carry Firearm during COLD (Gloves & Heavy Coat) Winter weather.
    This was a problem for me that I recognized years ago. Here is how I solved it (for me)

I had this "Shoot Through" short coat custom made for me (way back when) ~ Made from Genuine Sanded Shark leather.

It has some amazing & practical special "Carry" features.
    There is an inside pocket for wallet & License To Carry.
    With enough room in there for a Speed Loader also.
    Optional gloves can be "stored under one Shoulder snap down epaulet
    The inside right pocket is leather & not cloth.
    The pocket is horizontally deep & warm & the inside end of the pocket is tailored to fit the muzzle of a S&W J~Frame revolver. I originally had it cut for a S&W BODY GUARD (which was what I carried in it at the time) But, it works with the S&W Centennial (shown) just as well.
    The coat (obviously) zips up BUT, it can be also worn Unzipped & just snapped at the bottom.
    There is a wide EXTRA FLAP of leather that tucks behind the other side of the coat. That wide flap serves to keep out the frigid colt wind with the coat in the unzipped condition.

The "Gun Pocket" is deep enough that I can walk around with an un~gloved hand inside that pocket & can even hold the revolver with Index/Trigger Finger Forward & out of the trigger guard.

One quick & easy tug on the coat (from inside the pocket unsnaps the bottom of the coat & then due to the multitude of bottom surgical elastic pleats the revolver (still inside the pocket) can be accurately pushed fully forward toward the Aggressor Bad Guy & fired right through the coat.
    The coat is VERY WARM & features an internal short sheared sheep inner layer & added wool felt lining.
    The outside exotic leather is extremely tough & yet highly pliable.
    The leather is called "Sanded Shark" & it is top grain Shark Skin Dyed Deep Black.
    Please Don't Ask How Much...the coat was Very Expensive to have made.
    I would be embarrassed to say exactly how much I paid to have it constructed.
    It has been well worth the dollars that I "forked over" for it though. It is 20 years old & still looks fantastic.

My photo shows the position that the revolver stays in....when inside the "triple stitched holster pocket" (for lack of a better name for it) I cannot turn the pocket "inside out" to photograph it so...you'll just hafta use your imagination. I just LOVE this coat!
    I have no idea where you would get one made exactly like it today.
    Anyway here it is...my personal answer to PENNSYLVANIA PROTECTIVE WINTER carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    not a bad way to go, but I want my gun on me at all times. I take my coat off indoors ,restraunts and such. My friend had a holster sewn into his coat too,although not at the ready like yours.

Administrator
    I never "check" my coat at restaurants and not even in the better eating establishments.
    Usually, if I do go anyplace where I have to shed my coat then I just "duck in" someplace & pocket the revolver.
    I think I've only had to do that twice in 20 years.
    Ideally, I would like the ability to fire a larger caliber semi~auto from inside a coat pocket but, sure would not want try it.
    This coat works out great for me.
    Out walking the mutt & running to the store & a myriad of other "Just Hafta Go Out" places. It's a real no hassle way to have a firearm always "at the ready" with no loss of critical time fishing under winter clothing for a defensive piece.

Wow, I'm curious how long the design process took. Seems like you put more than a few hours into its developement. For me it's a bit cost prohibitive to go full custom like that as I'm living on a small pension.

I've often wondered about the feasability of installing a set of snaps in a cheapie Uncle Mike's pocket holster and the other sides in a coat pocket. I'd think it would help to keep the gun in a consistent position and also reduce the pocket lint from getting into the works... might even reduce printing by preventing the gun from laying against the outer pocket material. Does that sound like it'd be worth experimenting with?
    Jack

Administrator
    Actually, a brilliant female student at the Art Institute Of Pittsburgh (in their Fashion Merchandising & Design Dept.) measured, designed, & "laid out" the pattern for the coat as per my "wants" & then she had the leather cut by this Native American woman who actually fabricated the finished coat.
    They BOTH did an amazing job.

DC Founder
    That is a damn nice looking coat, QK. If I was in a cold winter area where I had to consistantly wear a coat, that might be my preferred way to carry. But with the obvious expense involved in making it, I would probably have a holster sewn into the left inside pocket area positioned to hold my 1911 in a "canted" position. You could probably have it added to an "off the rack" coat fairly easy and without much additional cost, I'm thinking....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    QK - indeed that looks highly desirable - lovely piece of work and thx for pic - it shows pretty clearly to me the useage method.

Several comments - and all entirely appropos me and my dress choices etc - so no crit' of that garment.

Even in winter I sweat a lot at times - not just summer. This is a constant since Mono in '69. So while I may be cold when out in severe weather I cannot ever keep such a thing on when indoors - restaurant for example. 15 minutes inside a warm place and eating - I get hot real quick.

I therefore have to develop a strategy purely for myself. My OWB 1º carry is rarely missing - and can be masked by several choices of cover even if going to be indoors - might be real thin open shirt. Therefore, if I do put on a heavy jacket, I may add a BUG also - probably my SP-101 or even good ol' faithfull M85. This will go in right pocket which is big enough and - also I could shoot thru if needed. It is well adequate - I would too of course keep snub out of that when hung up - pants pocket then.

On occasions tho too even if I have that heavy jacket on - unless it has to be done up tight - I will keep it open at front - so giving me normal access to the piece. I enjoy winter carry for its simplicity and choices - but on any excursion out of the ordinary will pre-plan my carry strategy very carefully.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Smoking Coat

I carry my snubie in my jacket pocket during the cold months when I work so I can cover people on traffic stops with out them being wise to the fact. The interesting part was testing my method for the first time via a old LEO "car coat" just like the one I normaly use. Well, I caught on fire and smoldered a little because the nylon filling in the jacket does not like burning powder, but it worked well. You really need to use a disposible jacket and fire through the pocket just to get the sensation, it is real strange!

Blacksan:

That would have been fun to watch! I LOL thinking about that pocket "smoking"!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Lead Moderator
    Dang! Wish I would have tried that before I tossed out my old jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    I've often wondered about the feasability of installing a set of snaps in a cheapie Uncle Mike's pocket holster and the other sides in a coat pocket. I'd think it would help to keep the gun in a consistent position and also reduce the pocket lint from getting into the works... might even reduce printing by preventing the gun from laying against the outer pocket material. Does that sound like it'd be worth experimenting with?
    Jack
    I did something similar to that with a cheap kydex pocket holster and some velcro (stick on to holster, sew on to coat pocket). Works great!

I also discovered that velcro coat pockets suck for CCW. This coat had them and I upgraded to snaps on that one pocket. With velcro it's not only slower and loud, but you yank it open and the flap sometimes falls back down and seals again before you can get your hand in. Grr.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto On The Velcro

Great Reminder.

I've got a couple packages of velcro sitting here on my desk (works to keep the cat out the cabinets too), looks like I've got plans for tomorrow - thanks Darth!
    Jack

Links