Pre paid cellphone for HD 911 calls

This is a discussion on Pre paid cellphone for HD 911 calls within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one of these/plans? LG CG180 - GoPhone® (Pay As You Go) Cell Phone - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular For 8 bucks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre paid cellphone for HD 911 calls

Pre paid cellphone for HD 911 calls

Anyone have one of these/plans?
    LG CG180 - GoPhone® (Pay As You Go) Cell Phone - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

For 8 bucks its cheap and it would be plugged in bedroom for a 911 call.

Any disadvantage to a pre-paid cellphone? I could add one more line but thats a extra $ amount everymonth.

2. Remove Ads

I believe that the pre-paid cell phone minutes expire if not used by a certain date. Also, not sure if the pre-paid phones dial 9-1-1 the same as conventional ones. (Most cells will dial 9-1-1 just by pressing and holding the 9) but it is possible that a pre-paid goes through a intermediate source. (I believe Vonage VOIP does something like that!)
    Might want to check those things out, but other than that, it seems like a good idea.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

From AT&T's web site:
    Amounts deposited into your account expire as follows: cards less than $25, 30 days; cards $25 to $75, 90 days; $100 cards, 365 days. Unused account balance is forfeited upon expiration.
    As I read that, if you put 100.00 on the phone, it would last for 1 year (about 8.33 per month). If you don't have any other cell phone, that may be pretty cheap insurance to guarantee you could reach 911 in case of an emergency.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

i think cell phones will still dial out 911 even if service is off.... or the prepaid min's are up

The problem with cel phone 911 calls is that the dispatch center s given a latitude/longitude reading. They can get close, but if you are in a row of homes, but recently a couple of cops knocked on my door because someone "around there" had called 911 on a cel phone. That person was waiting for help while the cops went fishing for the location. Call 911 from an apartment building? Good luck, you'd better be have the time and presence of mind to give an apartment #.

I keep a land line so when I or the wife/kids call 911, even a hangup can get a response.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    i think cell phones will still dial out 911 even if service is off.... or the prepaid min's are up
    I do believe I've heard that somewhere.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Cell phones will dial 911 regardless of paid service.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Cell phones will dial 911 regardless of paid service.
    You are correct sar!

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Of course, there are some still out there without the GPS chip at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I keep a land line so when I or the wife/kids call 911, even a hangup can get a response.
    Agreed that a land line should be your first choice. I was thinking of a cell in the case of where the house phones lines had been cut by someone breaking into your home. More a backup to your land line.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

GPS chip will not work once you enter a building. If you live in an apartment building it's not any better than tower triangulation. If your cell phone shows your caller ID name and number that should help somewhat if the building is where you live - at least they can look at a register or ask someone. I'd just count on giving them your address when you call.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have a Samsung phone from ATT, on a prepaid plan. I put $100 in my account on the day that I bought the phone (cost $99). That was early June, and I still have $38 left. When you consider what a regular plan costs, if, like me, you don't use your cell phone that often, it's a cheaper way to go. You get the best buy when you put $100 in the account, as you get $5 in bonus time. So far, so good, no problems with their service.

Used cell phones are available here free from the local CHP office. They try to encourage non-phone owning seniors to keep them in their vehicles for emergency. My dad keeps his uncharged at home in the bottom drawer. Old dog, no new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Of course, there are some still out there without the GPS chip at all...
    It is dependent on the carrier whether they use GPS or triangulation for finding your location. For example, I have a blackberry with GPS but ATT uses triangulation for 911 locating. It really doesn't make much of a difference, I believe they're both about the same accuracy in large cities. What does make a difference is location. Triangulation in a well populated area is much more precise than in a rural area. I do not have a land line now, but after college I will likely keep one as it is fairly cheap with a cable/internet package, and it's about as reliable as telephone communication gets.

A phone will call 911 regardless of whether or not it has active service. I keep one in the car with the battery pulled so it won't drain in case of an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links