Portable Pistol Safe

Portable Pistol Safe

This is a discussion on Portable Pistol Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to find some reviews, information and receive "experienced CC input" on this type of pistol safe. http://www.center-of-mass.com I realize a "Cable Lock" ...

Thread: Portable Pistol Safe

Question Portable Pistol Safe

I am trying to find some reviews, information and receive "experienced CC input" on this type of pistol safe.

http://www.center-of-mass.com

I realize a "Cable Lock" is much less secure than a welded or bolt-in safe, but convenience and the ability to move these from car to car, hotel rooms, etc. adds some flexibility I like. While used in a car, they would always be very well hidden, and perhaps have three dogs with with them (a Dobie, a GSD and a dumpster dog). While not "ideal" in all respects, does anyone have experience with these, or have some observations and input they'd like to share?

Thanks for your time and input!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 12th, 2005 at 01:18 PM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I am working on a review of those very safes. They are a high-quality item that is extremely convenient. I have two safes that are keyed alike -- one large and one "medium." The larger safe will hold a full-sized Beretta 92 or a 1911, while the smaller safe is good for compact guns (like a Smith and Wesson snubby). The safes can be mounted to flat surfaces, too, using the holes drilled in the bottoms.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Just ordered 2, I will let you know what I think...they say they'll be here before the weekend. Nice guy.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Walmart sold a portable safe with a finger keypad that was pretty inexpensive. It could have the bottom plate mounted at home and you could open the safe, flip a couple of toggles and carry the upper part of the safe with you. I use one at home but have never taken it traveling.

I ordered two large today, and will give them a "mini-review" and post the results. I'm excited - my CHL may come through within a month now, so I'm getting ready.

Thanks for the input, folks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Got one for my car - don't have to disarm often in PA, but this has come in handy on occasion for storing my XD. It also has come in handy storing valuables that I didn't just want to stash in the glove compartment. I have the cable lock looped around the rear of the frame that bolts the driver seat to the floor and the safe slides right under the driver seat from behind. I can reach it just fine from the driver seat and the cable is long enough to pull it all the way up into my lap with no problems. I only wish I had gotten 2 at the same time.

Supposedly it is also TSA compliant so when I fly, I'll be using it. Just need to get a suitcase with a solid frame to loop the cable around.
    Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Lead Moderator
    I found 1 for $30 at Walmart. Key lock only, but it is big enough to fit several handguns in. Also, it is gray , so it matches my truck carpet and interior well.

I have a Narc Safe installed in my truck.

http://www.wattco.net/odyssey/odysseynarcsafe.htm

I love how they advertise, on their web page.
    "This sturdy safe can safely store either narcotics or handguns." Oh wow!, now I have a safe place to store my NARCOTICS while I'm driving!

COM Pistol Safe: Review

Compact. All steel exterior (21 GA). Welded hinges with welded side edge guards inside safe. Lock seems stable and solid. Cable heavy and will defeat casual thief, not bolt-cutters. Large holds my G17 and 2-3 mags. Foam interior. Will hide easily in truck. Very happy with cost/benefit. Arrived less than five days after ordering. All of them are keyed alike for maximum convenience.

Two large fit in my Chevy Suburban console. They fit under the front seats in my wifes Jeep Cheerokee.

Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 17th, 2005 at 02:46 PM.

Still waiting for mine
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

I've got one, identical to Mr. Elmore's pic, that I picked up at a gun show probably 18 months back. Living in KC MO, and traveling into the land of Oz regularly, I use it all the time. Works great for what I need if for, but it is _not_ a fast access unit (if the key's are in the ignition, you're hosed).

The cable wouldn't stop someone with a pair of bolt cutters, but I'd not want to try to cut it with a leatherman! It's intended use is to stop 'smash and grab' style theft, and I think if fills that roll well.

Mine will fit a small auto, a full size glock won't go. The foam padding has degenerated with use, but still holds the gun firmly.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Been very happy with mine. Build quality is good and I feel pretty secure leaving my weapon in the car while I run into places the gun must stay out of.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    From the one pic, it looks like the cable sticking out from under the seat could actually attract attention from the wrong crowd. My brother inlaw is a police officer and we talked about how sophisticated gangs are at observing and casing cars. He said they'll watch cars when they pull into a mall parking lot and can often tell from their upper body movements if they're putting something away. I wonder if that little cable would "telegraph" to those who are looking that there's a valuable stored under that seat!

I'd like to get one of these but I think I'd try to make sure it was 100% concealed from anyone looking into the vehicle....

Finally got mine today...got lost in the mail USPS fault not COM. Spent about 20 minutes trying to break one, not plausible with bare hands if locked shut. COuld probably twist the 2 halves when open but it would take some serious effort. The hinge is attached INSIDE and you cannot remove the hinge pin.

You could probably open this with some hand tools, hovwever all locks are just to keep an honest person honest...even your $5000 safe can be opened with some effort.

Worth the money, especially if you carry to work but cannot carry in work.

Sponsored Links