ISO a bright flashlight

This is a discussion on ISO a bright flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the recommendation of someone here I bought a Fenix: DealExtreme: $17.30 Romisen RC-M4 3V~8V Cree 1-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123/1x18650) It's just the size I'm looking ...

Thread: ISO a bright flashlight

ISO a bright flashlight

At the recommendation of someone here I bought a Fenix:

DealExtreme: $17.30 Romisen RC-M4 3V~8V Cree 1-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123/1x18650)

It's just the size I'm looking for, plus it uses the 123 battery and the price is great. Now before I order a few more, I'm wondering if there's any other flashlight that's any brighter than this one.

Of course if it has a strobe mode, that'd be cool too.

TIA
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

That is not a Fenix. And for your question the Fenix that they knocked off is 225 lumens. The one you linked is 170 lumens.

Here is the Fenix

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=517

That looked great until I got to the price.

Here's one I like - 230 lumens, but only one mode switch:

DealExtreme: $19.99 Ultrafire C1 Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (2*CR123A/1*18650)

My mistake. I don't know why I thought it was a Fenix.

Quote Originally Posted by pjw315 View Post
    That is not a Fenix. And for your question the Fenix that they knocked off is 225 lumens. The one you linked is 170 lumens.

Here is the Fenix

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=517

I bought that light from deal extreme and its the best little light I've ever had.I'm completely satisfied.Its a chinese knockoff of the surefire but its great.sj

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The DealExtreme lights are hit and miss, but they are what they are - Cheap, bright little lights that work (usually!) fairly well, but do not have the build quality of the major Chinese brands (Fenix, Olight, Deerelight, Lumapower) or American brands (Surefire, Inova, Streamlight, Pelican, Mag). If you are relying on your light for self defense, spend the extra money and go with a brand that has a reputation for bulletproof lights. If you just want a light to play around with, or keep around the house for power failures, then DX is well worth a look.

ETA:
    By build quality, I mean several things. Design, selection of materials, attention to detail, machining, finishing, tolerances... all of these suffer when you go bargain basement. I have had that exact Romisen light linked by the OP. It is a good little light, but I wouldn't trust it for more than my toolbox. I bought it as a beater to take inside power plants with me, knowing full well that it could get contaminated and I would be forced to leave it behind. I wouldn't have done that with a $150 Surefire, but a $15 DX light? Sure! The problem with so many of these lights is that the switches are poorly designed, made of inferior materials, and occasionally are broken before you even open the padded envelope that DX uses to ship. I've also had issues with bad solder joints, nonexistent heat sinking, loose springs, overbored flashlight bodies, bad threads, and bad finishing (the only DX lights that I would buy now are the hard anodized versions). Then again, I've also used these lights as handouts and gifts, since they are at least as high quality as your average corporate handout or safety award, and are indeed worth what you pay for them.

YMMV, but caveat emptor.

Chooie, to put it simply, yes I will be using it for SD.

My intended uses for the lights are a light I can keep in the cars for emergencies, as well as having a light bedside.

If I had the money (or the chutzpa to hit up my friend the VP at Surefire), I'd be getting a Surefire.

But, one does have to prioritize and since I have a great gun, a light is secondary to me.

BTW, I think you recommended the Romisen on another thread. Thanks for that.

ISO a bright flashlight

[QUOTE=chuckE;850755]Chooie, to put it simply, yes I will be using it for SD.

My intended uses for the lights are a light I can keep in the cars for emergencies, as well as having a light bedside.

If I had the money (or the chutzpa to hit up my friend the VP at Surefire), I'd be getting a Surefire.

But, one does have to prioritize and since I have a great gun, a light is secondary to me.

BTW, I think you recommended the Romisen on another thread. Thanks

Go with a Surefire. They have a no BS lifetime warranty. Do it quick as they are, if they haven't already, raising the MSRP on their lights.Good luck.

I have to agree with Chooie, although I don't have any experience with these low end knock off lights, if you keep your light sitting next to your pistol at night, chances are you might depend on that light to save your life someday. This being the case, why not go with a high quality American made flashlight like Surefire or Streamlight? I know it's more expensive but this is your life you're talking about. You spend the money for a quality firearm and ammo, now make sure you have quality gear to match it.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

You don't have to pay a ton of money for a decent light. You can often find great deals on Surefire G2 and 6P lights on eBay, for example. Up until this month, the G2 retailed for $36, and could often be found for $25 shipped. A $10-$15 premium over the Romisen, sure, and it's not an LED, but you have a top notch light with a momentary switch, nearly indestructible nitrolon body, and it can take the inexpensive LED drop-ins that are on DX.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    At the recommendation of someone here I bought a Fenix:

DealExtreme: $17.30 Romisen RC-M4 3V~8V Cree 1-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123/1x18650)

It's just the size I'm looking for, plus it uses the 123 battery and the price is great. Now before I order a few more, I'm wondering if there's any other flashlight that's any brighter than this one.

Of course if it has a strobe mode, that'd be cool too.

TIA
    Missed the lumens for this light...
    Saying it's 'bright' is misleading...my wife is bright!

My L4 LumaMax is 100 lumens for 2.5 hours...a great SD light (and I know it will be working for all my years)

I've bought some 'deals' from other places like Cabela's, etc...they didn't last, but my SureFire's are still lighting the way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Missed the lumens for this light...
    Saying it's 'bright' is misleading...my wife is bright!

My L4 LumaMax is 100 lumens for 2.5 hours...a great SD light (and I know it will be working for all my years)

I've bought some 'deals' from other places like Cabela's, etc...they didn't last, but my SureFire's are still lighting the way...
    I'd say it comes in pretty much equal to the 80 lumen Surefire P60L module that is in the G2L and 6PL. It has a tighter hot spot and decent spillbeam, but once again, I wouldn't use it for much more than a beater/toolbox/car light.

Senior Moderator
    My Cheap Light 120 Lumen, 3 aaa batteries
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I just picked up an OLIGHT T25 Tactical Flashlight at the Hampton (VA) gun show. The website is Tacbeam Inc.. Specifically, I got this one: Tacbeam Inc.

Does anyone else have experience with these lights?

Good/bad? Thanks!

Jeff

how about the first light tomahawk ? 160 lumens !

im gonna get one soon, it leaves your hand free to work on something, or hold your weapon, the top end version has three brightness settings and even a strobe setting. and a clip you can put on your shirt or belt. i'll let you guys know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jk23322 View Post
    I just picked up an OLIGHT T25 Tactical Flashlight at the Hampton (VA) gun show. The website is Tacbeam Inc.. Specifically, I got this one: Tacbeam Inc.

Does anyone else have experience with these lights?

Good/bad? Thanks!

Jeff
    I have an Olight M20 Warrior, and it is well built and feels very solid. It has a momentary/clicky switch as well. I would suspect that the T25 is as well built.

Links