Can I get this laser, or is it a myth???

This is a discussion on Can I get this laser, or is it a myth??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see this 1911 with the laser apparently in the recoil spring. Is this just a really cool picture or is it possible to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get this laser, or is it a myth???

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Can I get this laser, or is it a myth???

I see this 1911 with the laser apparently in the recoil spring.

Is this just a really cool picture or is it possible to get this laser??

I've also seen similar in magazines, but just pictures, not products.

If they can make it for one gun, they can make it for others.1911.jpg
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Isn't this the Lasermax? I only use CT's but IIRC the Lasermax fits right there.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    yes you can get it! I think the name of the company is Laser Max.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    yes, lasermax makes em for about $400 or so. Seems to work well, my buddy has 1 in his Glock.

Administrator

Lasermax

DITTO: The Above Comments.
    They work very well by the way.
    Quality Control is SUPER High.
    Expensive though.

Click Here To Check Out The Lasermax Web Site.

I've heard those things can negatively impact reliability in some guns because of the way they're installed... any truth to that?

I have one on my Glock, it actually improved the piston.
    The only warning I have is be careful to train both with it and without it. Why? because electronic stuff will fail, and you should be ready.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

See the January 2006 issue of S.W.A.T. just out, they have an article compareing LaserMax and Crimson Trace lasers. good read good info.

yep thats a lazer max if i was buying one for a 1911 i think i would go the ct route myself

Lead Moderator
    IIRC, the lasermax blinks , creating a easier to see dot too.

Administrator

Laser Max & Crimson Trace

I wouldn't mind having either one for at least one of my Colts.
    I do have one in my GlockerThirtySix.
    As soon as it comes time for me to fork over the cash for one I always seem to think of something else I'd rather do with the $$$.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    My take on the LaserMax after using one for awhile...the good and the not so good.

I got mine free. Its a dept.issue for my Glock 21. I always thought that if I were gonna have a laser on my pistol, the LaserMax would be it. Its simple, it doesnt clutter up the gun and you dont need a new holster for it. It seems to be fairly robust...at least I havent broken it yet. I'm really not crazy about hanging stuff off of my guns. Its just more stuff to break off. The LaserMax is pretty protected.

I had to tinker with it to make it meet the point of impact. That meant taking it out,looking at it,and putting it back in. When the dept. armourer installed it, it was printing about the a foot to the right at 15 yards. I took it out and simply rolled it in place to cure the problem. It is dead on now and seems to be holding its position.

Most of the other Deputys experienced the same problem. Most of them chose to take it off and leave it off. Some complained about the point of impact, although that seemed easy enought to me to fix, they didnt want to mess with it. The on/off switch, which in the case of the Glock is the takedown latch, dosent really have a "click" to it, its rather mushy and its hard to determine if you moved it far enough to activate it or not. I wish they had a little ball detent in there or something that you could feel.

Several of the guys had the switch activate themselves in the holster. This isnt a problem other than the fact that if you are riding around all day in a patrol car and you dont know that its on, then you will kill the batteries pretty quick. As for the switch coming on, we think that it may happen when putting seat belts on and off. An inadvertant bump on the holster may do it.

A few of the guys that arent gunpeople complained that the increased tension on the spring may it harder to cycle the action by hand. It is a little harder, but should only be a problem if you are a total wuss.

It does seem to add to the recoil somewhat, as the spring dosent soak up near as much of it as the stock spring does. In actual application, the added recoil had no effect on my accuracy and rapid fire drills. On the other hand, I dont think that my .50 BMG kicks too much so my judgement may be quite different than most folks.

When I put it though its paces, it was apparent that it was a valuable tool to have even in spite of its shortcomings. At 25 yards with contolled fire,I was using complete cover and sticking the gun up over a table and shooting it without any sights other than the laser on the target. I was able to put all of the shots in the 9 and 10 rings with little effort. If the dot in on the target, and its still on the target when the shot goes off...the bullet will be there.

It will bring to ones attention just how unsteady a handgun can be. It will accent and magnify poor shooting habits. If you have a hard trigger on the gun you will be able to see just exactly how far off target you are when the shot goes off. It can be used as an educational aid for that aspect.

The pulsating dot is easier to see than a fixed dot. Expecially at night during live fire exercises when you exit the vehical and the target is lit only by flashing headlights and rotating blue lights and strobes. There is enough light "clutter" there that the pulsating dot seems much easier to pick up than one that doesent.

I dont "depend "on the Laser dot at all but still prefer to bring the gun up to eyes level while keeping both eyes open...Im more of an instinctive shooter when it comes down to it. It did serve to confirm that I was on target when shooting steel plates for time. I dont think it made me any quicker, but it did serve to verify that I was on target.

I think that when used in its proper context, it can be a valuable aid...more so if you are shooting from cover with a less than ideal postiton.

Well...thats my 2 cents.
    Im interested to hear of other experiences...

Hot, I agree with much of what you said. However, I do disagree with two parts.
    !) I find the solid dot easier to see.
    2) I've never had the Lasermax go on by accident. I have a Kydex holster. This might explain it because it protects the pistol more than a soft one.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Assistant Administrator
    One reason I like the CT's is - apart from the master on/off sw - they come on simply thru gripping the gun - on revo's there is a very small pressure switch which is activated by middle finger. On semi's - well my SIG's anyways - mirrored pressure pads to sides near front - picked up by middle finger tip.

I have seen Lasermax and personally do not like the pulsating dot ... minor point. Also CT's easy to zero, just x and y axis set screws.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Crimson Trace

I think for a Colt 1911 I would probably go with the CT Laser.
    Though I don't think the switch with the LaserMax would be a problem at all on the Colt since it pivots & does move in & out like on the Glock. Of course it still needs to be switched on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links