Flashlight Grip Adapter AR 15

This is a discussion on Flashlight Grip Adapter AR 15 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a DC search and didn't find any info on this product. I want to get a flashlight for my AR15. I wanted a ...

Thread: Flashlight Grip Adapter AR 15

I did a DC search and didn't find any info on this product. I want to get a flashlight for my AR15. I wanted a Bushmaster but I got a great deal on a used DPMS. Only modification is a 6 position stock. Cash is tight and I cannot afford $600 for the Surefire light I want. So I saw this grip adapter while searching the web. I can throw any of my Surefire G2s in this bad boy.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Does it turn the light on and off with ease? Any input would be appreciated.

AR-15/M16 FLASHLIGHT GRIP ADAPTER at Brownells

I hope that the link works.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Be aware that if you mount your light underneath the handguard, it's going to throw a pretty big barrel shadow into your field of view.

I almost bought one of those, but after some experimenting, I found the best place for a light (for me) was at about the 10 o'clock position, where the barrel shadow was thrown down and to my right. I got a +/- 45 degree handguard rail and used one side of it for a cheap light mount. This also happens to line up perfectly with my thumb while holding the handguard, so it's easy to hit the light's tailswitch.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Lead Moderator
    No experience with that grip but CCA seems to make decent budget minded products. I think you can find CCA products for less money elsewhere too. You will need to install a rail of some sort to mount a grip too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I have no experience with that model, but I also don't like my flashlight mounted at the 6 o'clock on my rifle. Mine is at the 3, mounted to the rails, with the tailcap switch quite easily manipulated by my support (left) hand thumb as the support hand grips the vertical grip mounted at the 6. There are relatively inexpensive mounts that will allow you to mount a G2 anywhere on a rail that you would like, so you can find your own "sweet spot."

That being said, it doesn't look like a bad product, if that configuration is what works best for you. Again, though, I have no first hand (or even second hand) experience to go on...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have that exact grip and I love it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Be aware that if you mount your light underneath the handguard, it's going to throw a pretty big barrel shadow into your field of view.

I almost bought one of those, but after some experimenting, I found the best place for a light (for me) was at about the 10 o'clock position, where the barrel shadow was thrown down and to my right. I got a +/- 45 degree handguard rail and used one side of it for a cheap light mount. This also happens to line up perfectly with my thumb while holding the handguard, so it's easy to hit the light's tailswitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have no experience with that model, but I also don't like my flashlight mounted at the 6 o'clock on my rifle. Mine is at the 3, mounted to the rails, with the tailcap switch quite easily manipulated by my support (left) hand thumb as the support hand grips the vertical grip mounted at the 6. There are relatively inexpensive mounts that will allow you to mount a G2 anywhere on a rail that you would like, so you can find your own "sweet spot."

That being said, it doesn't look like a bad product, if that configuration is what works best for you. Again, though, I have no first hand (or even second hand) experience to go on...
    I have it set up that way on my Bushmaster M4 at work. But it is a surfire that the job bought. I cannot afford it. I went through an FBI Carbine Instructor School recently and that set up works awesome for me. We did a a lot of shooting from both sides, and a lot of shooting in the complete dark. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    No experience with that grip but CCA seems to make decent budget minded products. I think you can find CCA products for less money elsewhere too. You will need to install a rail of some sort to mount a grip too.
    Thank you. Yes, there is already a rail to accept the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have that exact grip and I love it.
    What flashlight do you use in it? I have a Surefire G2, G2 LED, Streamlight Strion and Streamlight Stinger that could be used. Does this unit inadvertantly turn the light on? Thanks.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

What flashlight do you use in it? I have a Surefire G2, G2 LED, Streamlight Strion and Streamlight Stinger that could be used. Does this unit inadvertantly turn the light on? Thanks.
    I have a Surefire 6P from my LEO days. This holder will carry up to about 1.25 diameter light and down to about 7/8 of an inch. You just push the button in the back with your thumb when you need it. Never has come on accidently. The handle holds extra batteries and if you have a micro switch there is a small rubber door that removes and you can place the switch under it. It's a way cool grip.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

No experience with that set up, but I'll add this. My set up is pretty much the same as OPFOR's, vert grip on the bottom, with a light at 3 o'clock which I can hit with my left thumb easily. For less money you could probably buy a grip for about 20 bucks, and a flashlight holder for maybe another 20.

That being said, there is a lot of barrel shadow with a light mounted on the 6 o'clock, and I know guys in here that use it. However in order to reduce the barrel shadow the light has to be moved pretty much to the end of the rail, which makes manipulating the light more difficult, and in your case would mean that your forward grip was quite a ways out there, which many find uncomfortable (myself included). But then again it is all personal preference anyways.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have a Surefire 6P from my LEO days. This holder will carry up to about 1.25 diameter light and down to about 7/8 of an inch. You just push the button in the back with your thumb when you need it. Never has come on accidently. The handle holds extra batteries and if you have a micro switch there is a small rubber door that removes and you can place the switch under it. It's a way cool grip.
    You were right. I put it on last night. I put my Surefire G2 in there and it fit perfectly. The lockout works very well. I like the fact that I can activate the light even if I'm shooting from support side.

Can't go wrong for $50. The original add stated $75, so I was very pleased when the rep told me $50.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Links