Magpul P-Mag AR Mags?

This is a discussion on Magpul P-Mag AR Mags? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, basically I am tired of using my crappy plain issued magazines and am looking for alternatives. Magpul's p-mags, with or without the window aren't ...

Thread: Magpul P-Mag AR Mags?

Magpul P-Mag AR Mags?

So, basically I am tired of using my crappy plain issued magazines and am looking for alternatives. Magpul's p-mags, with or without the window aren't much more expensive than standard GI style, but I don't know if they are reliable. I know that H&K mags are pretty much top of the line for M-16's, but I don't feel like spendin 50 bucks a mag (Yeah I know, how much is my life worth?). But if these seem to be reliable and durable then I'll probably get some shipped over here. Any thoughts from previous users?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    So, basically I am tired of using my crappy plain issued magazines and am looking for alternatives. Magpul's p-mags, with or without the window aren't much more expensive than standard GI style, but I don't know if they are reliable. I know that H&K mags are pretty much top of the line for M-16's, but I don't feel like spendin 50 bucks a mag (Yeah I know, how much is my life worth?). But if these seem to be reliable and durable then I'll probably get some shipped over here. Any thoughts from previous users?
    They are some of the best mags you can get. I use them 100% of the time with no problems at all. Since I use them for 3-gun matches I really like the window option as I know how many rounds I am dealing with without stripping them all out.

I have 3 dozen (mostly 30 rds but also 20 rds)- I don't bother with the old style ones any more - just keep them as back ups. Magpul's are great and are dependable.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Checkout M4carbine.net and search PMAG

Search YouTube for PMAG

The consensus is: PMAGs are the best things since sliced bread. Run 100%, run broken (if you can ever break them--see YouTube). They fall free and are all-in-all a much better mag.

I have two right now--and they work great, and will buy more when I come back from my deployment.

Prices can range from $14-$18 per mag (depending on whether they have a window or not).

Magpul PMAG Magazine BLACK
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

i can't have them sent to me at work (fort drum) but i'd rather like to have a few of them for deployment.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

BAC
    Pmags are as good as they come for AR mags. A lot of people like H&K mags until they realize how much they weigh and how quickly the spring dies compared to even the GI mags, and that you can't just swap springs to replace them (you have to go through H&K). If you can get 'em, and get 'em approved, you can't do better for AR magazines.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    i can't have them sent to me at work (fort drum) but i'd rather like to have a few of them for deployment.
    Is it because of NYS laws?

Otherwise, you can have someone ship them to you when you get overseas.

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thumbs up

Honestly ? As long as PMAGs are available I'll never buy another USGI or H&K AR15 magazine in my life.

There are some good deals on USGI type mags, but only if they have the Mag Pul PMAG self leveling follower in them. If not, leave them at the warehouse for some other sucker.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Guess it's pretty unanimous. When the first and my next tax free paycheck shows up I'll have to get some shipped over here to me.

Anyone have any preference on windows or not, I put a few tracers deep in my mags so I know when I'm running low, but it seems like if it doesn't detract in any way it could be a good thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Windows are personal preference....will you have time to look at the mag before you reload?

Also, something to think about....some places won't ship PMAGs to APO due to strict interpretation of the ITAR. You might be better off having it shipped to someone CONUS and have them ship it to you via USPS.

I love my Magpul Mags. Never have a failure to feed.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I use P-Mags almost exculsively now. Great magazines that make the USGI metal mags obsolete IMO
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Glad to see so many positive replys. It confirms what I have always thought and the reason that most of my mags are from Magpul.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I just bought 5 Pmags with windows and you can't see the rounds in the mag unless you have 20+ rounds in it. I'll just probably get non-window pmags next since I find that useless.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Links