Surefire on a plane??? - Page 2

Surefire on a plane???

This is a discussion on Surefire on a plane??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my E2D Defender with striking edges and an L4 in my carry on bag except on international flights. I fly 35-45 times a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire on a plane???

VIP Member

Yes I carry 2 with me on every flight

I carry my E2D Defender with striking edges and an L4 in my carry on bag except on international flights. I fly 35-45 times a year and so far not even a question about them. I haven't tested the international security folks with them yet. Those checks are much more hit and miss.

If you have any problems with an airport be sure to let us know.

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I carry my E2D Defender with striking edges and an L4 in my carry on bag except on international flights. I fly 35-45 times a year and so far not even a question about them....-Scott-
    So you carry both lights in your carry on or is the E2D on your belt? Sorry, morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet - guess I'm a little slow this morning. Good to hear our expensive tac lights aren't being confiscated though!
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    So you carry both lights in your carry on or is the E2D on your belt? Sorry, morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet - guess I'm a little slow this morning. Good to hear our expensive tac lights aren't being confiscated though!
    Jack
    Jack,

My carry on has two quick access pockets on the front of it so a light goes in each one. I basically clear my pockets into my bag and put my Galco gun belt on the bag as well. Send the whole thing through the scanner and then put it all back. My E2D rides in various places depending on how I'm dressed, but it is in the bag before the scanners, and comes back out either in the boarding area or on the plane.

-Scott-

ann
    Flashlights can be modded in to anytype weapon.I have seen many mods of lights into weapons OF ALL TYPES (not just firearms)that would slip by all but the most knowldgeable persons..lights need to be watched more closely IMO because of "knuckleheads" trying to sneak this **** in and you all know what happens next when people test the limit ..no more lights in planes or through check points.

Here is a example of a surefire modded to house a high power green laser,the 100Mw modded green laser I tested would burn holes in plastic EZ,it would feel like a bad hornet sting if pointed at the skin and would blind no problem if shined in the eyes.In fact we had to wear special goggles just to test it was so dangerous to the eyes. This is not sci-fi , these modded lasers are EZ to get and will damage the eyes Permanently.

The laser pic is unretouched the beam looks just like what you see in the pic and is unreal at night..you can point out stars with it and write on clouds.BTW these are ILLEGAL in the USA.

I have a lot of info on modded flashlight type weapons, but can not post info in a public forum.If you can think of a weapon mod to a light ...its most likely been done, thats for sure.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ann; December 20th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    FWIW, I recently purchased a box of lithium batteries from Surefire, shipped via UPS.

The shipping carton had a label attached to one side, in large red letters:

PRIMARY LITHIUM BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT.
    That label refers to shipping batteries, not to carriage inside a flashlight.

I have carried my E2e extensively with no problem; same with my AA -cell Mini Maglight. I leave my E2d at home, though. I'm not willing to lose a $100 light in case some over zealous or uninformed security personnel don't like the crennelated (sp?) bezel. In reality, I think I can do whatever I might need to do with an E2e just as well as an E2d, and the E2e fits in a pouch easier.

SSKC

1943 - 2009
    I figured as much. That's why I began my post with "FWIW".

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC

I have carried my E2e extensively with no problem; same with my AA -cell Mini Maglight. I leave my E2d at home, though. I'm not willing to lose a $100 light in case some over zealous or uninformed security personnel don't like the crennelated (sp?) bezel. In reality, I think I can do whatever I might need to do with an E2e just as well as an E2d, and the E2e fits in a pouch easier.

SSKC
    Ooooops, guess I shouldn't have carried that box of batteries with me on my last flight.

I figured it didn't apply to in the light itself. These tend to burst when heated IIRC. However, I think if my batteries are hot enough to burst on the plane I have other problems.

-Scott-

I'd worry about the E2D too, but I wouldn't have a second thought about my Nitrolon or 6P. Heck the TSA just ordained in it's infinite wisdom that even BOX CUTTERS no longer pose a "threat" to the safety of the aircraft. Well, of course, that's perfectly true. It's the scum holding the boxcutters that creates a dangerous situation if not stopped....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Welcome

I fly about twice a month and I always have my surfire e1 with me. It is passed through screening everywhere I go. And it has come in handy on a few trips (to see in the dark)

Thanks for the good news. Also heard that we're now allowed to carry sub 3" blades as well? If so then my next trip I'll carry my 6P and Benchmade Mini-Grip.

I've got a light carrier on order with HBE as we speak - it should be a dandy!
    Jack

Denver

I have seen the blue tubs of confiscated items that TSA agents take from the Denver International Airport. They come to the building I work in. Never have I seen a single flashlight.

70% of it is small "grooming" type scissors
    10% is other scissors
    10% is cheap Swiss army knife knock offs that business give as promotional items

the rest is split between, leather man type tools, kitchen knife sets, hand tools, fake weapons, empty magazines, and other misc metal items.

Trinslide - welcome to CC! You don't need any more answers, so I'll pass...

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links