Defensive Carry banner

Surefire on a plane???

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. Looks like an awesome forum - I've already learned a lot!

My question is: Are tactical flashlights allowed on airplanes? Carry-on or checked baggage only? I have a Surefire I would like to take on an upcoming trip. I thought I saw something about not being able to take lithium batts on an airplane... Thanks for the info...

Happy shooting - Chris

#2 ·
Chris,

I've read several articles about using lights as a self-defense tool. One of them dealt specifically with carrying surefire lights on airplanes. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to do so.

I plan on flying with at least two whenever I fly again, and I believe the FAMs issues Surefire lights to their agents.

--Jim

#6 ·
Chris - welcome :smile: - from another Chris!!!

Thank goodness it does seem that (so far) a small flashlight is OK - but the cynic in me is half waiting for the day when even that, and keys, gain ''forbidden fruit'' status!!

#7 ·
On The News

I heard that you will now be permitted to carry SOME formerly restricted items onto a plane...like nail clippers. Scissors & I'm just not sure what exactly else.
Call your Airline before you take my word for it...but, it was on the national news. I was in the other room though so only heard part of it.

Anybody hear the same thing?

#8 ·
Anybody hear the same thing?
Not heard anything QK but shucks - the mere thought of ''relaxation'' of the restrictions is all but impossible to believe.

I know - it's the cynic talkin' but - well, I guess miracles can happen!

#12 ·
ArmyCop said:
http://www.canemasters.com

A cane is also acceptable on a plane. It'd help with appearances if you actually used it while in the airport area.

I haven't flown since before 9/11 but even then security made me put my cane through the X-ray scanner and hobble through the metal detector without it. I can't see them banning canes without facing a MAJOR discrimination lawsuit based on the A.D.A. - I know I'D raise Hell because without my cane I tend to be ... "floorbound." :frown:
Jack

#13 ·
FWIW, I recently purchased a box of lithium batteries from Surefire, shipped via UPS.

The shipping carton had a label attached to one side, in large red letters:

PRIMARY LITHIUM BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT.

#14 ·
You'll get a jolt out of this article.

But, now...I heard they may NOT relax restrictions.
I guess it's all still Up In The Air...pun intended. :rofl:

Relaxing Some Airline Security Makes Sense
Published: Dec 4, 2005

Most folks have accepted the longer lines and increased waiting at airports as security screeners check every little thing. The federal government plans to loosen restrictions on some of the items brought on board airlines and this makes sense. Some of the restrictions are silly.
Tiny scissors, screwdrivers, tweezers and nail clippers now will be allowed on board most flights. If these could have been weapons, just about anything could have been considered a weapon. A pencil or pen could be just as lethal as a pair of nail clippers in the hands of a desperate terrorist.
All of these strict regulations came down after 19 terrorists hijacked airliners on 9-11 using nothing more than box cutters. There’s a pretty good chance that a terrorist these days with a box cutter would get slammed by so many outraged passengers that the same trick wouldn’t work, even though they can do damage. On 9-11, no one had any idea of the scope of what was happening. Today that’s different.
On several occasions since 9-11, when unruly and mentally disturbed passengers have caused a ruckus, fellow passengers went to great lengths to subdue the troublemaker. They rightfully decided that any risks in tackling and pinning a person paled in comparison to having their plane slammed into the ground.
Even though some silly things were being confiscated, plenty of other strange items have been taken off airline passengers during screenings. People would actually show up at security checkpoints with butcher knives, brass knuckles and other ominous items that could really cause danger to people. What were these people thinking bringing these things to the airport?
We must remain vigilant and that still means thorough searches at airports. The peace of mind these searches provide, as well as the obvious safety of unarmed passengers, is worth some inconvenience. Now if we can get knuckleheads to quit bringing all kinds of crazy stuff to the airport, we should all be a lot safer.

Any Knuckleheads here? :blink:

Yes, we'll all be A LOT SAFER if every single one of us unarmed and defenseless at all times. :sheep:

#16 ·
Yes I carry 2 with me on every flight

I carry my E2D Defender with striking edges and an L4 in my carry on bag except on international flights. I fly 35-45 times a year and so far not even a question about them. I haven't tested the international security folks with them yet. Those checks are much more hit and miss.

If you have any problems with an airport be sure to let us know.

-Scott-

#17 ·
Scott said:
I carry my E2D Defender with striking edges and an L4 in my carry on bag except on international flights. I fly 35-45 times a year and so far not even a question about them....-Scott-
So you carry both lights in your carry on or is the E2D on your belt? Sorry, morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet - guess I'm a little slow this morning. Good to hear our expensive tac lights aren't being confiscated though!
Jack

#18 ·
maclean3 said:
So you carry both lights in your carry on or is the E2D on your belt? Sorry, morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet - guess I'm a little slow this morning. Good to hear our expensive tac lights aren't being confiscated though!
Jack
Jack,

My carry on has two quick access pockets on the front of it so a light goes in each one. I basically clear my pockets into my bag and put my Galco gun belt on the bag as well. Send the whole thing through the scanner and then put it all back. My E2D rides in various places depending on how I'm dressed, but it is in the bag before the scanners, and comes back out either in the boarding area or on the plane.

-Scott-

#19 · (Edited)
Flashlights can be modded in to anytype weapon.I have seen many mods of lights into weapons OF ALL TYPES (not just firearms)that would slip by all but the most knowldgeable persons..lights need to be watched more closely IMO because of "knuckleheads" trying to sneak this **** in and you all know what happens next when people test the limit ..no more lights in planes or through check points.:banned:

Here is a example of a surefire modded to house a high power green laser,the 100Mw modded green laser I tested would burn holes in plastic EZ,it would feel like a bad hornet sting if pointed at the skin and would blind no problem if shined in the eyes.In fact we had to wear special goggles just to test it was so dangerous to the eyes.:dead: This is not sci-fi , these modded lasers are EZ to get and will damage the eyes Permanently.

The laser pic is unretouched the beam looks just like what you see in the pic and is unreal at night..you can point out stars with it and write on clouds.BTW these are ILLEGAL in the USA.

I have a lot of info on modded flashlight type weapons, but can not post info in a public forum.If you can think of a weapon mod to a light ...its most likely been done, thats for sure.:gah:

#20 ·
Captain Crunch said:
FWIW, I recently purchased a box of lithium batteries from Surefire, shipped via UPS.

The shipping carton had a label attached to one side, in large red letters:

PRIMARY LITHIUM BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT.
That label refers to shipping batteries, not to carriage inside a flashlight.

I have carried my E2e extensively with no problem; same with my AA -cell Mini Maglight. I leave my E2d at home, though. I'm not willing to lose a $100 light in case some over zealous or uninformed security personnel don't like the crennelated (sp?) bezel. In reality, I think I can do whatever I might need to do with an E2e just as well as an E2d, and the E2e fits in a pouch easier.

SSKC

#21 ·
I figured as much. That's why I began my post with "FWIW".

#22 ·
SSKC said:

I have carried my E2e extensively with no problem; same with my AA -cell Mini Maglight. I leave my E2d at home, though. I'm not willing to lose a $100 light in case some over zealous or uninformed security personnel don't like the crennelated (sp?) bezel. In reality, I think I can do whatever I might need to do with an E2e just as well as an E2d, and the E2e fits in a pouch easier.

SSKC
Ooooops, guess I shouldn't have carried that box of batteries with me on my last flight.

I figured it didn't apply to in the light itself. These tend to burst when heated IIRC. However, I think if my batteries are hot enough to burst on the plane I have other problems.

-Scott-

#23 ·
I'd worry about the E2D too, but I wouldn't have a second thought about my Nitrolon or 6P. Heck the TSA just ordained in it's infinite wisdom that even BOX CUTTERS no longer pose a "threat" to the safety of the aircraft. Well, of course, that's perfectly true. It's the scum holding the boxcutters that creates a dangerous situation if not stopped....

#26 ·
Denver

I have seen the blue tubs of confiscated items that TSA agents take from the Denver International Airport. They come to the building I work in. Never have I seen a single flashlight.

70% of it is small "grooming" type scissors
10% is other scissors
10% is cheap Swiss army knife knock offs that business give as promotional items

the rest is split between, leather man type tools, kitchen knife sets, hand tools, fake weapons, empty magazines, and other misc metal items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.