Prescription Shooting/Safety Glasses

This is a discussion on Prescription Shooting/Safety Glasses within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today for the first time in a bit. Over the past few years, my ability to read without glasses has become ...

Thread: Prescription Shooting/Safety Glasses

Prescription Shooting/Safety Glasses

Went to the range today for the first time in a bit. Over the past few years, my ability to read without glasses has become more pronounced and now I am noticing it is difficult to keep the pistol sights in focus.

I did a bit of research and there are several variations of shooting glasses that can be outfitted with a corrective prescription, but before I drop some money, I had two questions for you experts:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the correction should be geared toward keeping the sights in focus and not necessarily the target?

2. Does anyone have experience in prescription shooting glasses and have a recomendation as to which types I should look into. They glasses would be for pistol range shooting only - when I shoot the rifle, I can adjust the scope to compensate.

Thanks in advance.
    PortlandZinMan
    ---------------------
    Glock 19 - Kimber Aegis II - Kahr PM9 - Ruger Mark II
    S&W M&P 40 - S&W M&P 9c - S&W Model 60 - NAA .22 Magnum
    ---------------------

2. Remove Ads

I've used two brands:
    Revision Eyewear - EyeGear - Sawfly Military Eyewear System
    and
    ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection - Products

For regular indoor range talk with your eye doctor and get a pair of eyeglasses that meet impact requirements. For outdoor use get a set of impact resistent prescription sunglasses. I arranged with my eye doctor to go in with my carry pistol and got an eye prescription "tuned" to the front sight.

Both the Revisionware and ESS products exceed impact requirements. Both crimp peripheral vision more than I would like. While wearing a hat, both fog up a little. Changing the lens tint is not as convenient as I would like and the ESS maybe a little easier. Both get dirty in a high dust environment.

I am thinking of going with:
    ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection

for my next pair. Front sight in focus. EyePro is one area I refuse to stint on.

I feel your pain, I have the same problems.

Any prescription safety glasses with side shields and polycarbonate lenses will work fine. If you get the kind with the removable side shields they can double as a backup pair of glasses. They are also pretty cheap to buy.

You will have some problems with the prescription though. If you get just the reading lenses in them everything further away will be very blury. If you get a non-script distance lens with bifocals adjusted so you can focus on your front sight they won't be good for anything but range use. The front sight of your gun is further away from your eyes than normal reading material and they won't be any good for reading. This won't help you everyday when you carry, unless you plan on wearing these glasses all the time.

As a cheap alternative go to your local wal-mart and buy a cheap set of reading glasses and try them. Hold something at the same distance as your front sight and try on the glasses until you find one that clears it up. Take them to the range and give them a try.

Do not get tri-focals!! I have never heard anyone say anything good about them and they are expensive.

I ended up getting my regular distance script and my normal bi-focal script. This still leaves the front sight fuzzy. To help I put on some self illuminating night sights. This makes the dots in your sight picture really jump out at you and helps quite a bit. With the night sights and little practice I found I could live with the dots being a little fuzzy.

Good luck
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I have the ESS goggles mentioned above. I like them for a few reasons. First of all, you only need one prescription insert that can be used with either clear, smoke, or yellow lenses. This lets you shoot in all light conditions without buying multiple sets of expensive prescription lenses. Secondly, if you wear contacts, you can just remove the prescription insert and use them as normal sunglasses or safety glasses.

About the only downside is that the clear lenses look really dorky if you're using them with the prescription inserts. It doesn't really bother me that much, but to some people it matters.

Also, you want to make sure that your doctor is aware how the prescription lenses will be fitted to your face. They sit closer to my eyes than regular glasses so the optometrist had to adjust the prescription.

Administrator
    In my opinion the best tint color for shooting glasses is Amber for the actual lens color with an added graduated light mirror coating.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Folks - I much appreaciate all the input!! I am going with the ESS outfit.
    PortlandZinMan
    ---------------------
    Glock 19 - Kimber Aegis II - Kahr PM9 - Ruger Mark II
    S&W M&P 40 - S&W M&P 9c - S&W Model 60 - NAA .22 Magnum
    ---------------------

Links