Recording devices get high praise from OJ jurors

This is a discussion on Recording devices get high praise from OJ jurors within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am constantly advocating the use of audio or video devices whilst CCW, and I often catch flak for my stance. Granted, the technology needs ...

Thread: Recording devices get high praise from OJ jurors

I am constantly advocating the use of audio or video devices whilst CCW, and I often catch flak for my stance. Granted, the technology needs to improve to the point where you can have a viable audio/video device of some sort that requires no extra actions or thought. But just take a look at the recent OJ Simpson trial. The jurors were heavily influenced by audio and video evidence, NOT eyewitness testimony.

Below is from: Simpson jury: We relied on tapes, not witnesses - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The jury that convicted O.J. Simpson of robbery and other charges relied mostly on audio and video evidence -- and very little on testimony from prosecution witnesses -- jury members said Sunday.

"We honestly felt we could not rely on that witness testimony," said Michelle R. Lyons, one of seven jurors who spoke to reporters in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Sunday. "There was not one decision we made that was based only on witness testimony."

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

The problem with that in FL is that the parties being recorded must know. You don't require their permission but they must know. Of course if you are using it in SD situation that is the least of your troubles. But maybe others are quicker than I but I just see it as a distraction.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

So you go around all the time with a recorder and/or video camera recording every moment of your Life? A Jury may decide your self defence was premeditated because you wanted to film it. I see a lot of youtube things filmed that are stupid and possibly illegal. Since self defence moments come when least expected, I would think that you would have to have it on all the time and be able to prove this.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    So you go around all the time with a recorder and/or video camera recording every moment of your Life?.......
    Maybe that's not a bad idea, lol, but I'm certainly not supporting that.

I'm simply saying that it's quite obvious how valuable audio/video evidence is to the jury. If you are involved in any type of questionable use of your firearm, then you will likely face a trial by jury. Thus, assuming your use of firearm was justified, a audio/video of the incident will almost assuredly help to vindicate you.

A small camcorder, attached to weapon and automatically activated when gun is held in hand, would be extremely valuable aid in making your case. These units are available, but still kinda large. However, I would expect to see them shrink in size as technology improves.

I am highly in favor of devices that help keep me out of the hospital, morgue or jail!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Eyewitness testimony is extremely unreliable. However video and audio can also be if not complete and taken into context. You have to take into account all of the evidence, decide how they work together and come to a conclusion. Notice the jury said that they used little witness testimony rather than none of it. One will support the other and if not which is truthful.

As for carrying a recorder 24hrs I know there are some that feel the need to but I am not one that is concerned about it that much. Whatever floats your boat.

There is a good chance that in the Rodney King case if the recorder had been running a few minutes before people may have seen a different side of that beating.

There was a case a while back of a teenager who was getting bullied all the time. So he invited the bully to his house, video-taped him being attacked/bullied, and shot him dead.

He was charged and I believe convicted. The reason was he had premeditation by setting up a video camera, having a gun, and decisively killing the guy.

This is a bit different than walking around randomly, but I'm sure it could be spun in that direction.

Think about all the security cams on buildings that may capture a SD shooting you may be involved in,The film may help you but if it catches the action at a bad angle what is justifiable SD may not show the guy pulling a knife or gun because the view is obscured but shows you firing multiple shots at a guy that seemed to be doing nothing at the time,I've seen police dash cams that a second angle showed something the first camera didn't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I'm in a true SD situation, I prefer no cameras, no sound, and only one witness...

Stay armed...don't be a movie star...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The State | 10/04/2008 | State trooper acquitted

You can read the story but basically it is a highway patrolman hit a fleeing suspect with his car and said he was trying to hit him. The HP was found not-guilty after the tapes appeared to show him guilty as sin and spashed all over the news. Sometimes even tapes don't tell the whole story.

VIP Member
    Sixto had a thread about how video can be misleading not too long ago.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sponsored Links