Laser grips. Yay, or Nay?

This is a discussion on Laser grips. Yay, or Nay? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SA XD sub-compact. I was thinking of having a laser grip put on the gun. Has anyone tried the laser grips? If ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser grips. Yay, or Nay?

I have a SA XD sub-compact. I was thinking of having a laser grip put on the gun. Has anyone tried the laser grips? If so, did it change your ability to conceal the weapon? How well do they work? Etc.

Where are you in WA? Wades in Bellevue has an SP101 with laser grips that you can rent. While it's a revolver, it'll give you the idea.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Bellevue....is that near Redmond?

Administrator
    A big fat NAY. Invest the time money and effort into learning how to run your pistol really well and you will laugh at the idea of a laser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by griffin7 View Post
    Yep. Bellevue is between Redmond and Issaquah on the west side of Lake Sammamish with it's downtown at the I405 and SR520 interchange.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Yep. Bellevue is between Redmond and Issaquah on the west side of Lake Sammamish with it's downtown at the I405 and SR520 interchange.
    Ok cool, I'll be going to that range near Thanksgiving time to shoot with my father-in-law to be. I'll check out the gun. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A big fat NAY. Invest the time money and effort into learning how to run your pistol really well and you will laugh at the idea of a laser.
    Not all lasers are laughable.

YouTube - MTHEL M-THEL THEL shooting 3 mortar rounds at once

But yes. I tend to agree and that's why I suggest he try it out first.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd have to agree with that. In the daylight or on any light colored surface, the red beam laser almost disappears. For indoor scenarios it might be okay, but I'll stick with my snap on M-6 tac light/laser for home/night time use. Besides...with a laser, one seems to become more dependent on aids rather than the skills needed to aim and place a good shot.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin7 View Post
    Damn, I wanted to get "in before the SIXTO".

-B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Damn, I wanted to get "in before the SIXTO".

-B
    I'm faster because I don't use a laser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So true. At the distance of an indoor shoot, you'd BETTER be able to put everything COM without the use of sights. If you can't, there are several great trainers out there who can help you out.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Lasers are fine for many, they will not make you a good shot but they will allow better shots (once trigger control is there) without loosing focus on the target or other targets while still being accurate. I have one on my home gun (my wife dosen't get a chance to train as much as I do) and my snubbie carry because it DOES help me hit better. Nothing helps with shot placement more than a 15ft long sight radius.

All that being said, I don't doubt that in many situations that I will be hitting the boom button BEFORE I worry about the laser. Luckily (due to lots of practice and training) I can usually hit what I am aiming at without it.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have laser grips on two of mine - no problems - same holsters - like them very much....
    For God, Family and Country!

Laser grips? Nada, nine, no! I put them on my wife's S&W 637, she thought they would help...but now she doesn't even carry the gun. I loaded it with snake shot and it sits in the safe.
    I see no need for them on any of MY carry weapons.
    Night sights...yes!
    Laser sight...no!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Night sights and lasers should both be on my handguns. My older eyes do see the sights as well as they used to.
    The first thing I did was put night sights on my 1911 and it made a difference. My groups shrank and time went down. I got to experimenting and noticed there were times when the light washed out my sights totally. Usuall looking slightly into the bright light with it higher and to one side. It would be difficult to take an accurate sighted shot.
    I bought a Crimson Trace laser grip and put on the 1911. There is a definate wow factor here. You can see these in bright light, there are not many conditions when you can not see the laser. The do work and the work well.
    For me it begs the question, "why would you not put both night sights and a laser on your SD pistol?" They are the most important gun you own. Equip them so they work for you in every situation possible. It is even possible to fire the laser equipped pistol accuratly when you are not even close to the sights.
    I can fire more accuratly while moving back or to the side with a laser. I am sold on a good laser, jsut as much as night sights.
    Give them a try, you may do as I have and never look back.
    By the way, others here do not use lasers, and I would suggest you pm them and talk about it. They have good reasons [ I can't imagine what] but they like what they have.
    PM me if you wish and I will share my limited experiences as well.
    Best wishes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links