Tactical Light Question

This is a discussion on Tactical Light Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone! I've been doing my homework on tactical flashlights and thought I was close to reaching a decision. I had narrowed my choices down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Light Question

Tactical Light Question

Hello Everyone!

I've been doing my homework on tactical flashlights and thought I was close to reaching a decision. I had narrowed my choices down to either a Surefire E2D LED Defender or a Surefire C2 Centurion LED and then I saw that Leupold (www.leupoldmx.com) had entered the game with their own lights. They are quite pricey, I could buy one of each of the afore mentioned Surefire lights for the cost of one Leoupold MX-421. I really like the adjustable output feature and the 150 lumen strobe must be blinding. So now I'm undecided on my light purchase.

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these out yet and was hoping for some feedback. Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

I've purchased various other lights, but always come back to my original SureFire standby's...my E2e, and my L4 Luma Max...if you don't mind spending the bucks, the L4 Luma Max is a fantastic LED light...100 lumens for 2.5 hours...a BRIGHT sucker...my favorite!

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tactical light

Welcome to the forum....................... Go with the Surefire. They have the best warranty on the market. Personally,I have a Surefire 6P. Dropped a Cree R2 Led lamp into it and ended up with 290 lumens.All for about $80.00 Everyone has a favorite flashlight,you will get just as many pro's as you will get con's on which flashlight to get.You will also get,everyone is an expert kind of responses. No matter how they respond on which light is best ,ours troops, almost to a man use Surefire in combat. That says something for the company.My 2 cents. Good luck finding a light.
    Last edited by Blademan21; October 22nd, 2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added info

Senior Moderator
    I have a Surefire C2 with an LED head. That's a bit pricey, but it works as well as anything I've seen, and I have lot's of tactical lights.

Just a heads up about 'super' bright lights. In one of my classes at Gunsite, an instructor told us about a SWAT team that trained there recently. They had one of those super bright lights and they discovered in a scenario entry drill that that bright light reflects so much light off of light surfaces that it was affecting the entire entry team's vision. They solved the problem by going to a less intense light.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I'd go with the Surefire E1B, great for carry (it has a built in belt clip), it is LED so on low power (8 lumens I think) it lasts a really long time. On high power (60 Lumens) it lasts an hour. Short and sweet.

I'm the oddball here. I have a PentagonLight L2 and I love it. It's solid and if the light goes out, you could beat someone with it.

PentagonLight™
    -Biker

Check out candlepoweer forums. They have everything you ever need to know on tactical lights, including reviews. There are a few that they are more fond of than the Surefire.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Check out candlepoweer forums. They have everything you ever need to know on tactical lights, including reviews. There are a few that they are more fond of than the Surefire.
    Just what I need, more choices. It's a good thing I already have the Surefire E2D LED or I'd be doing decision matrices until there would be even more choices.

The E2D LED works for me. One of the reasons is it fits in my pocket right in front of my EDC BUG without interfering with the drawing of either.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by iplogged View Post
    I saw that Leupold (www.leupoldmx.com) had entered the game with their own lights. They are quite pricey, I could buy one of each of the afore mentioned Surefire lights for the cost of one Leoupold MX-421.
    Where have you seen these for sale, either online or an actual location? I browsed their website, but i can't find any place to buy.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Thanks to everyone for their opinions! Sounds like Surefire might be the way to go especially since they backup their product with their no-hassel warranty.

laeckcrov: I have only been able to find the Leuopld MX lights at Cabela's, but they were out of the tail caps last time i checked. Here's a link: Cabela's Hope that link works, it drills down pretty deep into their site.

Administrator
    I'd stick with the tried and true, K.I.S.S.!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    the L4 Luma Max is a fantastic LED light...100 lumens for 2.5 hours...a BRIGHT sucker...my favorite!
    +1 on the Surefire L4, it is a great light!! One thing I have not seen mentioned here is the beams on some of these lights. Some lights are throwers in that they have a lot of reach but not much spill. These lights are good for seeing something a ways away, but if you are to use them in a room, they put a nice bright spot on the wall, but anything out of that spot is not illuminated very well. Some lights, like the L4, are not nearly as good at throwing the light, but they give you a wall of light. I amnot saying that they don't have some reach, because they do. Turn this one on in the same room and it will light up the whole room. To me, for a tactical light, the L4 is one of the best there is. It is plenty bright enough to temporarily blind someone at night, but will still light up the whole room. This is a light you need to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    I'm the oddball here. I have a PentagonLight L2 and I love it. It's solid and if the light goes out, you could beat someone with it.
    +1 also on the Pentagon lights. I have the L2 mounted to my HD shotgun. Great light and like you say, it is built like a tank!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Get LED. You can't go wrong with Surefire. I have a 6P and 2 G2's, all with LED drop-in's. The best drop-in is the Malkoff if you want pure light power and quality. I have the 135 lumen one and love it.

Another option is Fenix. I have an LD20 and T1. The LD20 uses 2 AA's producing 180 lumens for 2 hours. It has multiple modes and a strobe. I can't say enough about these lights.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

As an EDC light my favorite is the Surefire L2. It is long, about the same size as a Kubaton so it lends itself to short stick techniques. The first stage LED is all you need for most lighting tasks and under stress you compress the button all the way and get the full blast.

I am anti Defender or any lights with impact bezels. The scream intent and will become and issue if you do strike someone with one. Knowing that you may also hesitate to strike someone. If someone hits you between they eyes with Defender and a regular light you will not notice the difference.

VIP Member
    I have 7 SureFires and my favorite by far is the E2D LED... in fact, I like it so much that I bought a second one!

By the way, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links