How to move 575 lb. safe into 2nd-story apartment?

This is a discussion on How to move 575 lb. safe into 2nd-story apartment? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at purchasing a 575 pound gun safe very soon. The trouble is, this will go in our 2nd story apartment. I could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to move 575 lb. safe into 2nd-story apartment?

I am looking at purchasing a 575 pound gun safe very soon.

The trouble is, this will go in our 2nd story apartment. I could get something smaller and lighter, but I'd rather do it right the first time.

What kind of operation am I looking at here to get this thing up a flight of apartment stairs safely?

Will those concrete stairs even hold the weight? And have you ever heard of an apartment having a weight limit for this sort of thing?

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

VIP Member
    It took 3 fellows and an appliance dolly to move my Browning gunsafe up to my 3rd floor apartment....the concrete steps (welded to steel beams) held the weight okay, but I would look closely at the welds and make sure that they are not rusted and ready to give out.

The weight should be okay inside your apartment, but it's always a good idea to clear it with management

A good safe will give you a lot of peace of mind...'specially with that new Rock River to worry about
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

1952 - 2006
    I would definetly get something smaller.

First of all, all the floor is, is a piece of plywood supported by 2X4's.
    I think you'd have a problem. Maybe not today or tomorrow. But you'd aquire a problem.

My .02 worth
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Back home there was a locksmith who sold and installed gun safes. He had some special rig for getting safes up stairs. I had taken some Polariods of my apartment(2ndfl) entrance and he didn't think it would be a problem exept for one landing he'd need a hand to turn the thing. I mentioned the concern about weight; he didn't think that was a problem either, but I agree you might want to check with owners first(maybe find out what those beneath you have directly under the safe). I'd mostly be concerned about floor collapse in case of fire...but I'm the freakie/paranoid sort...

My two copper Lincolns

U haul Rents a safe mover if you can find it or get it when it isnt rented out 2 people can move it then still somewhat of a pain but can be done ...

as said above though 3rd flooor with that much weight i wouldnt feel too safe most of the apartments and even houses now are not made to support that kind of weight on anything off the first floor.

Lead Moderator
    You might want to check the local building codes. There is usually some type of requirement for minumim or maximum "floor loading", and that would answer your weight question real fast.

Better than your downstairs neighbor aquiring a safe by default!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Post 575 Pounds ~ HELPFUL SUGGESTION

575 Pounds is just two really Fat People Hugging Each Other.
    You should be OK with that weight.
    Put it on the floor against a wall.
    Suggestion:
    Honestly....If I lived in an apartment and intended to buy a home for myself some day. ~ I would get a safe by Zanotti Armor.
    Click Here To Go To The Zanotti Armor Internet Page.

Click the ABOUT FEATURES SPECS. OPTIONS INSTALLATION ORDER
    blocks at the top of that page for all of the available sizes and details.

Zanotti Armor Safes™
    Old World Craftsmanship
    Coupled with American Ingenuity and innovation bring the finest gun safe to the marketplace. Our "INTERLOCKING®" safe incorporates all of the features and benefits of a one-piece welded safe, plus allows mobility and ease of installation never seen before in the gun safe industry.
    Exclusive "INTERLOCKING®" Design
    (Patent Pending U.S. and Foreign)

D & D Enterprises
    Northeast Manufacturers Rep
    P. O. Box 442
    50 Goldsmith Street
    Littleton MA 01460
    Phone/Fax (978) 486-9216
    ZanArmor@ultranet.com
    •Six easy-to-handle "INTERLOCKING™" panels (including door). •Assembled in an upright position in approximately 20 minutes
    (hammer only tool required).
    •3/8" diameter steel pins "INTERLOCKING®" safe panels
    (ZA-I and ZA-II use 20, ZA-II 6ft and ZA-III use 22, ZA-III 6ft use 24).
    •Can be assembled in a small area (closet).
    •Easy Handling - No extra costs for moving, rigging or cartage
    company, dolly rental or damage to stairs and woodwork.
    •Reduced insurance costs. May be tax-deductible. Peace of Mind.

You are going to have to pay to have a conventional safe moved up there & then pay again to have it moved out & to a new location when you move.

Administrator

By The Way ~ I have 2 Safes

My one safe is is an old 3,000LB "Built In" ~ as my home was originally owned & built by a dentist in 1910 & his dental office & residence were both "In Home" ~ He had my original safe installed when my home was built.
    There are Iron posts & "I Beams" in the basement under that safe location.

My OTHER safe was built by Detroit Armor Corporation & they were taken over by Zanotti Armor.
    Check it out...it's an extremely well built item.
    Very Sophisticated Engineering.
    You cannot get it apart from the outside.

The individual panels and door are fairly heavy but, one person (you) can move it up and down stairs yourself ~ one panel at a time.
    I have moved mine 3 times already at an additional cost of ZERO.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, that's heavy. Don't ask for my help, but consider this:

-First-You live in an apartment, hence you WILL have to move it again, eventually.

-Second-You can buy a lighter/smaller safe that will suffice, PLUS, you can bolt that sucker to the wall and floor. There'll be no moving it. The one mentioned above looks like a perfect idea.

-Third-You live in an apartment, hence you WILL have to move it again, eventually.

That's enough to steer me away, for sure.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    My father gave me his Browning safe, so I didn't need to shop around. I like the fact that it is pretty heavy....no burglar is going to be able to walk out of my apartment with it and go down 2 flights of stairs.

I've found that the biggest draw-back to having a large safe is how lonely 1 or 2 rifles look in there....it's a pretty expensive proposition to fill that cavity!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Logistics are surmountable but - other things like when you move again, and floor loading do have some bearing.

It would be worth checking on floor construction if poss' - QK is right re two big people hugging - but - this is dead weight in one spot for a long time - so a constant load. If cross beams intermittent with 2x8's and a stud wall sat over or close to a main member it would probably be OK. Not hard either to add 100# plus into the safe and have finally perhaps a steady 700# load!

QK's modular idea would seem a useful measure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not hard either to add 100# plus into the safe and have finally perhaps a steady 700# load!
    Good point! I'd overlooked the fact that he gave "empty" weight. He'll probably want to add a gun or two!

QK's modular idea would seem a useful measure.
    Anyone have a price on the modulars?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    You really should check with your property manager, usually the load limits on the second story (and above) of residential floors is less than 80 lbs per sq foot. Based on that your safe would have to have an 8 sq ft footprint. in other words 2' x 4'. Which is pretty large...so check with management.

As far as moving it up there goes my only advice is.....

CAREFULLY!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

QKshooter,

Tell me about the Zanotti safe. I called them today and left a message. I can't find anything about prices on their site for the three models. Is it fire-rated? And where did you purchase yours?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality safe that weighs more like 250-400 lbs, is fire-rated, and has the option of a electronic lock and goldenrod?

That 575 lb beast may be a nightmare to move after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links