??'s about QuikClot Sport

This is a discussion on ??'s about QuikClot Sport within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about/had any experience with QuikClot Sport. I found it at Cabela's, and it seems cheaper, but when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??'s about QuikClot Sport

??'s about QuikClot Sport

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about/had any experience with QuikClot Sport.

I found it at Cabela's, and it seems cheaper, but when I went online to their site (Z-Media) all I got was marketing speak.

Basically I'm wondering, first off, does it work, and second off is it just smaller packages of QuikClot, or is it something different.

Thanks everyone.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

2. Remove Ads

I could tell ya a few things about normal quik-clot, not sure about the sport stuff, I'd assume it's pretty much the same.

Normal quik-clot is pretty much a last resort, it will stop the bleeding but can damage the tissue in the are. Also it's use is limited to mostly on the limbs.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Can't remember where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure I saw something in the last couple of weeks about an "improved" QuikClot. It supposed to have fewer problems.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

wpk
    I've used quickclot on the job, it does work very well on non-high pressure bleeds. I tried to use it on a blown fistula but the bleeding was too high pressure for the clotting agent to work, but other than that it works pretty well. It WILL burn like a mother though, but it's better than bleeding to death I guess.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

cj
    To point out...when he says BURN, it's not stinging, it's the heat generated from the reaction.

I've packed some regular QuikClot for when I'm hiking in the backwoods, but fortunately have never needed it.

BAC
    There was a clotting agent QuikClot was competing against that was an injection and kicked the crap out of QC in effectiveness (inject immediately adjacent to the wound), especially on high-pressure bleeds, but I think .gov folks got spooked at the needle idea and abandoned it. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

QC needs to be cleaned out, too, as quickly as possible. Still, it's definitely better than nothing.

-B

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    To point out...when he says BURN, it's not stinging, it's the heat generated from the reaction.
    Exactly, it is a BAD chemical burn. Not pleasant at all, but better than bleeding out.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I carry it as a last ditch use.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    There was a clotting agent QuikClot was competing against that was an injection and kicked the crap out of QC in effectiveness (inject immediately adjacent to the wound), especially on high-pressure bleeds, but I think .gov folks got spooked at the needle idea and abandoned it. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

QC needs to be cleaned out, too, as quickly as possible. Still, it's definitely better than nothing.

-B

I haven't heard of the needle-based agent. There IS a product called gelfoam that the dialysis centers use as a clotting agent. It's a piece of foam that is applied topically to the port/wound and it does seem to work fairly well. We don't carry it so I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it used a fair amount and it seems to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    Exactly, it is a BAD chemical burn. Not pleasant at all, but better than bleeding out.
    There web site says the active ingredient

"is composed of an inert mineral substance that meets a variety of medical needs and applications"

I'm guessing the burn comes from silver nitrate used as a cauterizing agent?

I've had silver nitrate sticks used to debreed dead tissue from burn wounds

and that stuff burns like crazy while it sizzles and pops!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I have been looking at this recently and think the Quickslot ACS+ is the way to go. The quickclot is contained in a sponge so that you pack the sponge into the wound and the quickclot does its job, however it doesn't heat over 105 degrees so less burning. I think this is what I will look at picking up. I've never worried about the burning much before though since at this point I figure I am at a last resort.

Lightbulb Hemostatic agents

Keep in mind with all forms of hemostatic agents such as Quick Clot, you must aways first control the bleeding with direct pressure. Whether this is done by using simple direct pressure with your hand, a pressure dressing or TQ (tourniquets) the bleeding must be controlled before you use the clotting agent.

If not you might as well pour the stuff on a fire hose....

Rapid application of a TQ is the best way to stop exsanguination when bleeding from an extremity. Everyone should know how to tie a TQ or use a commercial device such as the SOF T tourniquet. Survival of the extremity below the TQ has also vastly improved.

All hemostatic agents will require a surgeon to fix the original problem and to clean out the agent regardless of what brand is used.

IMO Cellox is one of the better products on the market. There is no exothermic reaction or burning and the cost is more reasonable...

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by uscp815 View Post
    Keep in mind with all forms of hemostatic agents such as Quick Clot, you must aways first control the bleeding with direct pressure. Whether this is done by using simple direct pressure with your hand, a pressure dressing or TQ (tourniquets) the bleeding must be controlled before you use the clotting agent.

If not you might as well pour the stuff on a fire hose....

Rapid application of a TQ is the best way to stop exsanguination when bleeding from an extremity. Everyone should know how to tie a TQ or use a commercial device such as the SOF T tourniquet. Survival of the extremity below the TQ has also vastly improved.

All hemostatic agents will require a surgeon to fix the original problem and to clean out the agent regardless of what brand is used.

IMO Cellox is one of the better products on the market. There is no exothermic reaction or burning and the cost is more reasonable...
    Tourniquets are an absolute last resort to avoid bleeding to death when all other attempts to control bleeding have failed. A true tourniquet will cut off all blood to the limb and can result in cell death beyond the area that is wounded. Direct pressure is often enough by itself to control most bleeding, even GSW's. If the wound is small enough, the best method I have found is to simply wrap a (preferrably clean) dressing around a single finger and apply that to the wound. This will apply much more precise and direct pressure than simply wrapping the whole limb/area. I've done this method to quite a few GSW's and it was worked fairly well as long as the wound is not bigger than what a finger/thumb can cover. You would be amazed at how small most GSW's are, I have seen a number of them self-seal with minimal bleeding. Also keep in mind that any deep chest/abdominal wound should be covered with an airtight occlusive dressing even if it doesn't appear to be "sucking".

All this advice is just to get you to the hospital of course, any bullet wound of any kind (even if it seems minor) needs to be evaluated to see what kind of internal damage has occurred.

Thumbs up TQ

WPK,

I agree with you regarding TQs under "normal" circumstances and traditional EMS. Only in a few rare instances in my career have I had to resort to a tourniquet.

However in a care under fire situation, a TQ may be your only resource to stop the bleeding while you get off the X. One can certainly bleed out from a femoral wound in a very few minutes. It's been proven in Iraq that tourniquets have in fact saved many lives. In addition there have been great advances in salvaging the extremity below the site of application. Tourniquets have routinely been applied for up to six hours with complete restoration of function below the site.

Live tissue labs have further demonstrated the efficacy of hemostatic agents once the bleeding is controlled by direct pressure or a TQ.

Hopefully for most of us the gunfight will be over as quick as it starts and we won't find ourselves taking additional fire. Traditional EMS will be there for us with rapid transport to a trauma center.

Just another point of view....

wpk
    I wasn't saying that TQ's have no place, just saying that it shouldn't be the first thing to consider when dealing with even fairly severe bleeding. If you look at movies/tv the hero will cinch his belt down on a bleeding limb and continue as if nothing has happened. TQ needs to be the last option. Now if you're rapidly bleeding out as if from a femoral then absolutely go for the TQ, and when you're dealing with high-power rifle wounds like our soldiers are in Iraq then it's more likely you'll need one. We had a trauma surgeon who served in Iraq give us a presentation on trauma management after his tour and his pictures were GRAPHIC. I've only seen that kind of trauma a few times in my career and those guys have to deal with it every day.

I wasn't slamming your post, just don't want someone to think a TQ is the only option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links