New 5.11 Tactical Flashlight (Merged)

This is a discussion on New 5.11 Tactical Flashlight (Merged) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and did not find any other threads on this. Found this on another website. This looks like a pretty good home ...

I did a search and did not find any other threads on this. Found this on another website. This looks like a pretty good home defense/hurricane/revolution/shine idiots in the eyes- light. The specs are pretty solid, 270/90 lumen modes, strobe, rechargeable, etc. But what interests me the most is the recharge time: 90 secs!!! Looks like surefire may have some competition for my dollars!

5.11 Tactical

Discuss away!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Interesting to say the least. Price is steep but if it performs as stated then it would be worth it. I do wish they'd make it out of aluminum in a hard anodized finish. More like a surefire. Stilll....

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

VIP Member
    Sounds great if you have the time to recharge it before you need it. Otherwise if you charge it in the morning, by nightfall you have lost half of its power just sitting there.

It would be good for a worklight, but not for emergencies/power outages.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

It looks good for the house. It looks a little too big to carry around. Even for LEOs, it would be too big for a duty belt. I carry a Surefire G2LED in a V70 kydex holder and I forget that it is there. 80 lumens w/ 12 hour run is pretty good for $65.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Sounds great if you have the time to recharge it before you need it. Otherwise if you charge it in the morning, by nightfall you have lost half of its power just sitting there.

It would be good for a worklight, but not for emergencies/power outages.
    From 5.11's "blog" on this:

This next question comes to us from James Beatty- How long will the flashlight hold a charge when not in use?

James,
    The ability to hold a charge is often known as leakage. Ultracapacitors have a leakage comparable to NiCad batteries. They will loose more energy when they are fully charged but the loss decreases over time.

There are no negative impacts to the ultracapacitor when it is left off of its charger. If left off the charger for a month, a flashlight could be used for 45 minutes of light or it could be fully charged in 45 seconds. If you left off the flashlight for a year, there would be 25% of the energy left. No negative memory effects or degradation would result. Similarly, if you left a battery to drain down to 50% of its capacity can reduce its life.

If you left your flashlight off for 5 years, it would only take 90 seconds to recharge the flashlight to give you 90 minutes of run-time.

Thanks for the question!

There are forums like this one that are only about people who make high lumen led flashlights out of alum. mag lights. Some make their own alum housing out of solid alum. Most respect flashlight makers like surefire (though most claim they can make better, and from what I've read do).

I believe they would think this 5.11 flashlight was sad. Before you write them off as a bunch of basement nerds trying to build a light saber, keep in mind they have a hobby, they take time to learn about it, and value quality (sounds a lot like people on this forum who enjoy firearms).

For < $100 his cost I have a brother who has made 3 or so high lumen led flashlights out of alum mag lights. For a 15 minute charge, he can get 700 to 1000+ lumens.

He made 1 (maybe 2) with 6 to 8 hours charge, 300 or so lumens (when he first started. However in a pinch, you could use regular D batteries at about 250 to 275+ lumens, and that would last 4 or so hours).

Recharge time, 90 minutes. Need to state again, with most of his flashlights, you can swap out and use regular version batteries.

He is working on one now that can change to 3 different settings. Something like 300, 600, 900 lumens. Lowest setting 8 hours (or so). At highest power would last 1.5 or so hours. Full recharge 90 min to 2 hours. Would use regular batteries in a pinch.

Now I'm guessing on the times I'm listing, but I'm not far off (as I have helped testing). I may even be underestimating. All for around $100 to $125 cost. I find it all a little tedious, but he shares (and has a greater) interst in firearms, so it is only fair to help out on his flashligh fetish (plus you get a good flashlight every other Christmas).

The 5.11 has some intersting recharge rates, but other than that, not an impressive flashlight. For tactical, I would go for a custom mag lite or someone like surefire.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Nobody is saying this is going to unseat the MAG mods and such that CPF'ers build, or those with multiple multi-die LEDs, but for its intended purpose, the 5.11 light is a quantum leap ahead of the common Magcharger, Streamlight Ultra Stinger, or Surefire 8NX. It is too large for a duty belt, but is ideally sized to keep in a car cradle, or on a workbench, or next to the basement stairs - anywhere you would traditionally use a larger light. You see, the 1k lumen lights you speak of use 12v bulbs with a 50 hour life expectancy at 10-20% greater voltage than intended. Not only does this create much more light (and whiter light, at that) but it creates immense amounts of heat, shortens the bulb life to about 5 hours or so, and drains the 9xAA battery pack in 10-15 minutes. Those lights are not practical at all, they are merely demonstrations of the extreme bleeding edge of what can be built into a handheld light.

Faced with the choice of 1000 lumens for 10 minutes, a bulb that goes bad in 5 hours (30 charges), and a 3D maglite body, or 270 lumens for 90 minutes, no parts to replace (ever), and a light that is smaller and lighter than a 3D maglite... which would you stake your life on?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    There are forums like this one that are only about people who make high lumen led flashlights out of alum. mag lights. Some make their own alum housing out of solid alum. Most respect flashlight makers like surefire (though most claim they can make better, and from what I've read do).

I believe they would think this 5.11 flashlight was sad. Before you write them off as a bunch of basement nerds trying to build a light saber, keep in mind they have a hobby, they take time to learn about it, and value quality (sounds a lot like people on this forum who enjoy firearms).

For < $100 his cost I have a brother who has made 3 or so high lumen led flashlights out of alum mag lights. For a 15 minute charge, he can get 700 to 1000+ lumens.

He made 1 or so 6 to 8 hours charge, 300 or so lumens (when he first started. However in a pinch, you could use regular D batteries at about 250 to 275+ lumens (and that would last 4 or so hours).

Recharge time, 90 minutes. Need to state again, with most of his flashlights, you can swap out and use regular version batteries.

Some intersting recharge rates, but other than that, not an impressive flashlight. for tactical, I would go for a custom mag lite or someone like surefire.

IDK. You appear informed, but I think he builds a little more durable / dependable flashlights then you are mentioning that offer more lumins, for a longer duration, than the 5.11 one posted.

I think the 5.11 is interesting (for the reasons you posted).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

I think this is the forum my brother goes to.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    IDK. You appear informed, but I think he builds a little more durable / dependable flashlights then you are mentioning that offer more lumins, for a longer duration, than the 5.11 one posted.

I think the 5.11 is interesting (for the reasons you posted).

CandlePowerForums

I think this is the forum my brother goes to.
    I'm also a CPF member; and it sounds like the Maglite mods you speak of use the 1185 bulb. I'm not saying that the bulb is fragile; just that the average bulb life at that voltage and load is about 10% of the expected life when running at spec. Also, an LED light built with Lithium-ion, LiFe, or LiPo batteries can offer more light in a smaller package, or for longer in the same package, but cannot match the recharge rate or lifespan of a capacitor (roughly 500-800 cycles vs. 50,000 cycles, and 1hr+ vs. 90 seconds).

By the way, no Maglite mod using an incandescent bulb (pretty much necessary to get 1000+ lumens unless using multiple Seoul P7 or CREE MC-E LEDs) is going to have a battery life well under the 90 minutes of the 5.11 light.

sounds like a capacitor

edit: read the link, it is a capacitor.
    -Biker

The 5.11 provides 90 minutes of light at 90 lumens and 15 minutes at 270 lumens.

The specs are quite impressive.Capacitors are very efficient at storing energy.

Due to the three small reflectors don't expect this light to have a good throw, it will be mostly flood.

Some comments were made in this thread about the "hot wires" made out of Maglites.

As the maker of the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight, I want to set the record straight on the Borealis.
    The Borealis is 1050 lumens (I work hard at removing internal resistance) and the run time is 50 minutes.
    The Borealis has been compared by my law enforcement customers as superior to the spotlights mounted in their cruiser.
    Comparable to a two million candlepower spotlight.

Heat is not an issue in the Borealis as is with some 4000 lumens lights with 15 minutes run time.

Respectfully
    Black Bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

Links