How much gear do you "need"?

This is a discussion on How much gear do you "need"? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During my CHL class both instructors (both NRA certified) had different views on what they carried. The first carried only a gun with just the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much gear do you "need"?

How much gear do you "need"?

During my CHL class both instructors (both NRA certified) had different views on what they carried. The first carried only a gun with just the 1 clip in the gun. The second carried a gun, extra clip for gun, knife and flashlight on his gun belt and sometimes carried a backup on his ankle. Neither were LEO's.

I know there are certain circumstances where a flashlight would be handy especially if you knew you would be traveling at night. However, all the other stuff seems to be a bit much at least for me. At this point, I only carry 1 gun and I've always carried a knife. I can't see into the future, and I know luck favors the prepared. How "necessary" do you all feel is this extra gear?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Plan your emergencies accordingly.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    Carrying an extra mag is always a good thing to do, not only for the added ammo, but in the case of a really bad jam, you may need to remove the magazine and clear the jam, in most cases it's easier to reload the gun with the spare mag or in worse case the original mag is "lost" while clearing the jam.

I generally carry at least one spare mag, two knives (one defensive, one for general utility), most times I will carry two spare mags for my 1911 or just one for a higher capacity gun.

As for the flashlight, I generally have one available, especially now that it's getting dark so early, I just need make sure I'm carrying it on my person and not leaving it in the car.

Senior Moderator
    I'm about like JD, I carry one gun and atleast one spare mag. I have 2 knives (sometimes 3 counting a Leatherman or swiss army knife) 1 or 2 genearl utility and 1 defensive.

I have a flashlight in my car and office if I go out after dark I carry a light with me otherwise I don't
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I always carry at least 1 spare mag.

I also always carry a folding knife.

I'll usually have a fixed blade in front of the mag holder if I'm at work or will be gone for a while, and have been known to carry a New York reload from time to time.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I carry my weapon with a mag loaded with Hydra-Shok, and a back up mag of FMJ's (just in case the BG ducks behind something).
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Administrator
    Pistol with at least one reload and a decent knife is what you need. A strong argument can be made for a light, it just depends on what the day may or may not bring for me.

A BUG is a little silly to me for the average carrier under normal circumstances IMO.

I always get a kick out of the guys who carry 4 lights 6 knives and guns everywhere.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'm REALLY tempted to say, "none."

I'm no McGuiver but I'm a firm believer that the most important thing you NEED is a will to survive, no matter what.

I got in a discussion the other day with a young man who believed in the "magic caliber" theory. There there was this magic caliber that you only had to shoot an attacker with once and that they were going to fall flat on their back, stone cold dead.

I encouraged him not to put so much faith in ANY one thing EXCEPT your sheer will to out fight the other guy and survive.

The reason I believe this way is because it's very dangerous to start putting your trust completely in your tools because if/when your tools fail, you are left standing there, wondering what went wrong when you should be improvising, adapting and overcoming.

If I don't have a firearm or my firearm fails I'm going to use ANYTHING available.. my purse, my nails, my teeth, a pen, a candle.. I don't care. I'm just not going down without making my attacker question their prudence in trying to harm me.

But with all that being said, bare minimum is at least some designated defensive tool. That may or may not be a firearm depending on where you are going and what you are doing. For instance, in an airport or on a plane. You can't have a firearm, but you can designate something as your defensive tool.

Maybe you can't take a firearm but you can have a knife. Well, then, that would be your designated defensive tool.

If you can take gun, great. You definitely have your designated defensive tool.

Knife is pretty much standard for me. Even if it's just a tiny little folder to stick in my pocket there are FAR more times I have wished I'd had a knife than I'd wished I'd had a gun.

A spare magazine or speedloader? I don't obsess about those but if I can get them on me I'll do it.

Last up is light and pepper spray and I'll usually leave those in my purse. The stuff I consider to be absolutely paramount to survival goes on my body because it's murphy's law that the moment I need something it's in my purse which is out of reach.

I caution everyone I talk to about guns (and that's a lot of people because I work in a gun store) not to get so caught up on the gun that their will to live ends when their ammo runs out or when their firearm malfunctions.

Machines break.. your will to stay alive never should.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    1 spare mag- surefire- TDI Ka-Bar- Spyderco Endura Wave- Throw Away Wallet. Some could say over prepared but would rather have a knife on hand than a .500 at home lol
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I'm no McGuiver but I'm a firm believer that the most important thing you NEED is a will to survive, no matter what.

I got in a discussion the other day with a young man who believed in the "magic caliber" theory. There there was this magic caliber that you only had to shoot an attacker with once and that they were going to fall flat on their back, stone cold dead.

I encouraged him not to put so much faith in ANY one thing EXCEPT your sheer will to out fight the other guy and survive.

The reason I believe this way is because it's very dangerous to start putting your trust completely in your tools because if/when your tools fail, you are left standing there, wondering what went wrong when you should be improvising, adapting and overcoming.

If I don't have a firearm or my firearm fails I'm going to use ANYTHING available.. my purse, my nails, my teeth, a pen, a candle.. I don't care. I'm just not going down without making my attacker question their prudence in trying to harm me.

But with all that being said, bare minimum is at least some designated defensive tool. That may or may not be a firearm depending on where you are going and what you are doing. For instance, in an airport or on a plane. You can't have a firearm, but you can designate something as your defensive tool.

Maybe you can't take a firearm but you can have a knife. Well, then, that would be your designated defensive tool.

Knife is pretty much standard for me. Even if it's just a tiny little folder to stick in my pocket there are FAR more times I have wished I'd had a knife than I'd wished I'd had a gun.

A spare magazine or speedloader? I don't obsess about those but if I can get them on me I'll do it.

Last up is light and pepper spray and I'll usually leave those in my purse. The stuff I consider to be absolutely paramount to survival goes on my body because it's murphy's law that the moment I need something it's in my purse which is out of reach.

I caution everyone I talk to about guns (and that's a lot of people because I work in a gun store) not to get so caught up on the gun that their will to live ends when their ammo runs out or when their firearm malfunctions.

Great post.

I just completed some training at the beginning of the year and the first thing they told us was "it's not about the gun, it's about you". Be prepared for anything isn't just about having equipment, it's about having the faculties.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I always get a kick out of the guys who carry 4 lights 6 knives and guns everywhere.
    Hey, I resemble that remark. I'm glad I could humor you.

Usually a gun, mag, defense knife and light for available for each hand. It COULD only take one bullet, but I'd rather not find out. Sometimes I carry what I WANT, just not what I feel I need. I would like to be the one with the tricks up his sleeve at a game where the other players cheat.

Great post.

I just completed some training at the beginning of the year and the first thing they told us was "it's not about the gun, it's about you". Be prepared for anything isn't just about having equipment, it's about having the faculties.
    +1. Being aware, having a plan, and possessing the willpower to survive no matter what the situation is a must, or you have prepared in vain. Sorta like preparing for a sprint when you are about to run a marathon.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I think this has been the most helpful post by far. I guess I sort of resemble that scenario. I could think forever about all the different scenarios that "could" happen and what tools I would need to help me in those situations. I agree in the end, it's all about the person and hope I never have to test that theory.

BAC
    Jeez Lima, we'd swear you were married to a Marine or something.

To clarify for myself, the original question is how much gear do you need for EDC, specifically? For this civilian, besides a belt and holster, I'd say something like, gun, knife, and spare mag. If you have a good light that's small enough to not get in the way of anything, there's no reason not to carry that, either.

As importantly as having the gear is knowing and practicing how to use it. There's no substitute for good training.

-B

My pistol, an extra mag most of the time, and a pocket knife some of the time.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Some days, it's just the Kel-Tec 380 with no spare mag, one knife, and one flashlight... other days, it's the XD with two spare mags, two knives, two flashlights, and the Kel-Tec.

It all depends on how saucy I felt when I went rummaging through the safe. I will say this - working for months at a time on the road in a gun-unfriendly area (CA, and also on site at nuke plants) tended to make me both a) really miss carrying my gun(s) and b) unburdened by the fact that I was not carrying a gun.

I guess that ideally, my EDC loadout would be (once I get it!) the XDm-9, one spare mag, one light (Surefire L1, E2DL, or Olight Warrior M20), and two knives (Benchmade Griptilian and a little SOG Twitch II for utility purposes). It's enough, perhaps more than enough, for most "social" interactions, and is easy to carry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links