Flashlight Review: Fenix L1P

This is a discussion on Flashlight Review: Fenix L1P within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my Fenix L1P yesterday. I've played with this thing quite a bit lately. The Fenix L1P is uses a 1 Watt Luxeon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Review: Fenix L1P

Flashlight Review: Fenix L1P

I finally got my Fenix L1P yesterday. I've played with this thing quite a bit lately.

The Fenix L1P is uses a 1 Watt Luxeon LED emitter and a boost regulator circuit that preforms really really nicely. It uses one AA battery, alkiline, lithium, and rechargable are all ok.

It has a smooth reflector and an actual crystal lens. Here is a pic of the bezel.

The body is all aluminum with a HA III type anodizing. It has flats machined into the middle for better grip. Actually the HAIII anodizing works really well for grip anyway.

To turn the light on you use the clicky switch on the end of the light. It has a reverse clicky so you click once to turn on and the you can push in slightly for blinking and the push all the way to turn off. Also, I found out that if you turn the light off, and just slightly unscrew the tail cap just a enough that the light goes out, the you can press on the end of the light and you get a conventional momentary switch. (good for tactical situations. Heres a pic of the switch.

As for size, you can see in the pic of the light with the AA, its small. Is smaller than my Dorcey Super 1 Watt.

Here it is next to several other lights.

The output is similar to the Dorcy only not as blue. It is really close to the dorcy in brightness though. Here is a comparison, Fenix on the left, Dorcy on the right.

I really like this light. Quality is awesome. It makes my G2 look cheap. It came with a really nice holster, lanyard, spare o-rings, and a spare switch cover. Check out www.lighthound.com for runtime graphs for the finix and other lights. This light gets more than three hours before it hits 75% brightness on the Energizer L91 litium battery. Thats awesome. For its size, battery, brightness, and runtime I see this being in my pocket or on my belt quite a bit.

Here is just another pic that turned out kinda neat IMHO

And just for fun and giggles, I made this but I need to find a smaller split right to fit on the L1P.

For a more indepth review check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm. Please note that I got a new updated (better) holster for my light. :)

clipse

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Splendid write-up Clipse. Thanks for going to the trouble.

All info on all flashlights out there is useful - the better to help folks decide what to get or not. What was the price to you, incl shipping?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think including shipping it would be about $47. I ordered a few other things along with it.

clipse

My only complaint about this light has been the lack of a good way to attach a sturdy lanyard. Well, This morning I fixed that without modification to the light itself. I took a 6mm split ring that I got from a craft store, and threaded it through both lanyard holes. Why BOTH? Simple, I tried it through just one but found that the lanyard would obstruct the switch. By threading it though both holes, the lanyard sits more on the side of the light. here is a pic of what I did.

Now I can attach any of these lanyards securely and easily. :D I'm a happy camper.

clipse

Assistant Administrator
    Great job - ingenuity is alive and well

Hey - any tips re making those smart lanyards - I used to know how but have forgotten. Nice work. Boot laces?
    Chris - P95

Parachute cord. Check out www.boondoggleman.com . Thats where I got the info. Except for the monkey fist. (the ball) I had to google that one.

clipse

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - para cord - of course!! Thx Clipse.
    Chris - P95

I have something like 2,000 or more feet of para cord. I use it for lots of stuff. When the laces on my doc martins wore out I used it for replacement laces. :D

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would bring this back only to say that I accidently lost my beloved L1P. Since I started this thread I had carried the L1P with me everyday. I have been depressed and kicking myself for loosing it in the first place. I now have a Fenix L1T on order. It is basically the same light only it has two different brightness settings. A high (just like the L1P) and a low for slower battery consumption. You click to turn it on and then unscrew the head a bit to get the lower power setting. Tighten it to get the higher setting.

I'll take pics and give my impresions when it gets here. Unfortunately I won't be able to compare it to the L1P.

clipse

Nice write-up! Now I want one!

You should want one. The only thing that I would change is the reverse clickie. I don't care for it that much. I would prefer a conventional clickie switch but it was still my favorite light. If I hadn't have lost it then I wouldn't have traded it for anything. :)

clipse

I still have plenty of L1P's on-hand. It's a great pocket light.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

VIP Member
    Well clipse, you review put me over the edge. I just ordered two lights from NETracker. One of each, figuring that my wife will take the one she likes and leave me the other one.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I have the L2P and favor it over my surefire. Two AA batteries beats the heck out of the "special" batteries required for the Surefire.

As a result, the surefire stays on the night table, and my L2P travels with me in my go bag.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member

NETracker delivers!

I just arrived home after a bit of a road trip and my 2 lights were in the mail box. I opened them up, put in batteries and tried them in a darkened room. Both are very good and I like the two settings on the L1T. Both have a belt carrier which is great for me.

Thanks NETracker for the quick delivery time and a couple great little lights.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links