45 mags with weak springs

This is a discussion on 45 mags with weak springs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been out of the metallic guns for a while say 10 years. I'm kinda a waterfowl hunting freak. Anyway about 5 years ...

Thread: 45 mags with weak springs

So I have been out of the metallic guns for a while say 10 years. I'm kinda a waterfowl hunting freak. Anyway about 5 years ago I noticed that my Colt 1911 45 mags were loaded and I realized that was no good so I unloaded them. Today I shot the old girl and guess what, 2 extra Colt mags will not feed as well as a standard and extended Pro Mag. The only mag out of the 5 I have that will feed right is the one that came with the weapon.

Is there anything I can do with these old mags at least so I can use them for target practice or should I just start looking for some more? I kinda need to pick up a few for the new Kahr before the Colt.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    one thing that i have been told is that it is not keeping the mag loaded that wears the spring, it is the constant loading and unloading. Please someone correct me if i am wrong but it is my impression that this statment is true.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    one thing that i have been told is that it is not keeping the mag loaded that wears the spring, it is the constant loading and unloading. Please someone correct me if i am wrong but it is my impression that this statment is true.
    You are correct.

It is the act of compression and decompression that wears out a spring. Compression alone does not wear out a spring.

-Jeff-

You can get an upgrade kit from Tripp Research for a decent price.

trippresearch.com Online Store 1911 Magazines

Shoot the gun while holding it in an inverted position and allow gravity to help with the process.

Have you thought about taking them apart and cleaning/oiling them? May help.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Didn't know that I could get just the springs.

Yep mags are clean.

Not sure if I believe that leaving them loaded doesn't compress the spring as I am sure my mags have not had 50 rounds ran through them each. I know the extended mag has only been shot once or twice as I never liked the feel of it. They were loaded for at least 5 years and maybe longer.

Thanks for the help guys, I will check into new springs.

At the price of new, mil spec 7rd magazines, I'd toss the faulty ones out and get some new ones. Or better yet, upgrade to Wilson Combat magazines that will last you longer no matter how you treat them.

You can buy springs, rebuild kits, or entire magazines. If you're going with rebuild kits or new mags, I would sincerely consider Tripp over Wilson's weak springs and infamous plastic followers. If you want a true kick-butt 1911 mag, buy the best tubes on the market...McCormick Power Mags (or my favorite, flush fitting Match mags) and upgrade with the Tripp conversion kits.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I keep mags loaded...never had a problem.
    Some swear by Wilson, others bad mouth Kimber. I have both Wilson and Kimber mags for my Kimbers. My Kimber mags have always worked as well as the Wilsons.
    Go figure...

To the OP, it never hurts to buy a few extra mags, and now would be a great time to invest...they're going up just like the ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

For your carry gun buy a 3 pack of extra power mag springs from Wolff Gunsprings. (about $17.00)
    Some of the best firearm springs ever made.

Wolff GunSprings Home Page

MAGAZINE SPRINGS

Magazine springs for the above Colt pistols are available in a variety of load ratings to accommodate almost any shooting requirement.

Extra power magazine springs are recommended for use with full power loads especially when using extra power recoil springs.

Extra power magazine springs assure smooth feeding and proper cartridge seating.

In addition to the traditional extra power magazine springs, reduced power magazine springs are available for Colt pistols.

These springs are intended for use only with compensated pistols and/or with very light ammunition loads.
    Reduced power magazine springs lessen the cartridge pressure on the underside of the slide to improve functioning in low recoil energy situations.

Use of reduced power magazine springs with full power ammunition will cause functioning problems.
    Please note: load ratings indicated are with the magazine fully loaded.

Sponsored Links