New Grips for Makarov

New Grips for Makarov

This is a discussion on New Grips for Makarov within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Ever since seeing the magic worked by Mr. Craig Spegel and Mr. Hakan Pek on their handgun stocks, I've sort of kept my eyes ...

1951 - 2011

New Grips for Makarov

Hello. Ever since seeing the magic worked by Mr. Craig Spegel and Mr. Hakan Pek on their handgun stocks, I've sort of kept my eyes open for new handgun grip makers.

I noticed a fellow named "Erich" on several boards with some really nice looking grips on a Makarov. It turns out that they were from Hungarian-made from a place called Marchalgrips, which appears to be run by Denes and Gustav Marschalko.

Eventually (between ammunition/reloading orders), I ordered a set for my Russian IJ-70 Makarov. These were made from checkered Bubinga wood (backstrap checkered as an option, too) and finished with the "red" stain. Total cost, including shipping was $50.00. (You can get Makarov grips for $40 in other woods; the Bubinga wood added $10.00 to the price.)

The grips slide on and off exactly like the tough plastic factory stocks.

From the bottom, it is not difficult to see that these stocks fit very snugly and evenly.

Here we can see the side of the stocks as well as the checkered rear.

I am extremely pleased with the fit, feel and finish on these grips.

For those who might be interested, the standard factory Makarov grips are thinner but not by much.

On the left we see the tough, brown plastic factory grips. These measured 1.10" across. This set of Marschalko grips measured 1.31" across at their widest point.

A grip's comfort is subjective. To me, the Marschalko grips with their palm swell are considerably more comfortable than the factory grips, which I have never found unsatisfactory. I was surprised at how much I like the checkered rear. (I guess it shouldn't have been much of a surprise as I like checkered mainspring housings on my 1911-pattern pistols.)

If you opt to order, the on-line order form will let you easily order for the E. German, Russian or Bulgarian Makarov. This differentiation is not because of different frame dimensions but because of the different diameter screw heads used in the EG guns as compared to the Bulgarian and Russian ones. The grip screw hole diameter is determined by the country of your Makarov's origin.

On the left we see the appropriate factory grip screw for the Russian/Bulgarian guns. The one on the right is for the EG. The threads are the same, however.

My grips were ordered for the Bulgarian/Russian Makarov grip screw. Fits both my Bulgarian and Russian guns just fine. By using an E. German grip screw, the grips fit perfectly on my E. German gun, too. Thus, if a fellow wants to change out grips between an E. German Makarov and say an IJ-70 or a Bulgarian, he can do so by changing to the appropriate grip screw.

As this is written, Makarov grip screws can be found here:

makarov parts | makarov barrel press | grip screws | magazine loader |

I don't know how long these will last but the $5.00 price is not bad if one wants to buy one of each type grip screw.

Here are the same stocks on an E. German Mak but using the Russian grip screw. (It doesn't turn too deeply into the magazine well. Works just fine.)

I am very favorably impressed. In fact, I just paid for a couple more Makarov grips from Mr. Marschalko.

This company makes grips for several handgun makes at different price levels. They also allow for very easy checking of your order's status on-line.

I am in no way associated with this company, but definitely am a satisfied customer.

If you are interested in their products, take a gander here:

Marschalgrips.com

Best and good shooting.

EW3
    +1 on Marschal grips. I have a set (also Bubinga) for my Bersa 380CC and just got one for my Makarov (in Wattle) as well. He does great work!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Very nice grips for an underrated gun.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Very nice grips on your Mak Steven. As usual Grips by Dennis Marschalko are not only great looking and well made but a very good value too. I have Dennis's grips on several of my handguns, including a Hi Power, CZ82, CZ52, and my Makarov. I am waiting on a set I ordered for my CZ RAMI. All are outstanding and really add a classy look to your pistol.

I have spent a good bit of time on your Hi Power site and enjoy your writing and insight on JMB's wonderful Hi Power.

Here are a few photos of his work on my handguns

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

EW3
    There's just something about the marriage of steel and wood that a plastic gun can never match.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Thanks, Stephen, for another well-written, informative, and useful review. It's always a pleasure to read one of your reviews. The only downer is that it usually means I have to spend some more money. My Bulgarian Mak is now crying our for new grips.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Beautiful stocks....I may need to invest in a set for one of my Maks.

Thanks for the review SAC.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links