Gun safe thermometer

Gun safe thermometer

This is a discussion on Gun safe thermometer within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My gun safe has a bit of fireproofing in the fact that the inside is lined with drywall. I was thinking that if I happened ...

VIP Member

Gun safe thermometer

My gun safe has a bit of fireproofing in the fact that the inside is lined with drywall. I was thinking that if I happened to have a house fire, after it's over I'd like to know what the temperature peaked at on the inside of the safe.

Of course if my house burned to the ground I would imagine it would get pretty hot inside, however if the fire was somewhat minor and was quickly contained I would really like to know that inside temp. peak.

Does anyone know some sort of device that would store and hold a high heat record. It doesn't have to be a mercury/digital thermometer, maybe just something that changed color and you could compare the color to a temperature chart.

BTW, what max temp would you declare your metal gun to endure in a safe? As a start I need to measure my gun surface temp after a lengthy range session, also what is the temp of hot blueing?

Maybe I could just keep some raw biscuits inside the safe and use them as an indicator after a fire.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I keep an inexpensive inside/outside thermometer and hygrometer inside my cigar storage box aka igloo cooler. It stores the max/min temps.

If you wanted to get fancy, they make inexpensive wireless probes to keep inside your safe with the receiving unit safe somewhere.

Kinda like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2117829
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Maybe I could just keep some raw biscuits inside the safe and use them as an indicator after a fire.
    When you open the safe after the fire and see that your wooden stocks are now charcoal is always a good hint things got a little to hot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Your safe may be lined with "Firerock" rather than drywall. A bit better dependent upon how rated. If you lined it, try to reline it with a high rated firerock.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Your safe may be lined with "Firerock" rather than drywall. A bit better dependent upon how rated. If you lined it, try to reline it with a high rated firerock.
    Yeah, you are right about the Firerock, I misspoke.

I've got a closet under the stairs and I'm thinking about gutting it, lining it with laters of Firerock, beefing it up with some steel and a special door. I think it would make a good gun storage room. No basement here, and the beefed up closet might also make a good tornado shelter also.

I could use my safes for smaller stuff like handguns and expensive long guns. I have quite a few milsurp rifles and could store them in my new "gun closet".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links