Does anyone have kids?

This is a discussion on Does anyone have kids? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have kids, but I do want to keep my firearm safe because I have a niece and a nephew who may visit. Anyone ...

Thread: Does anyone have kids?

Does anyone have kids?

I don't have kids, but I do want to keep my firearm safe because I have a niece and a nephew who may visit. Anyone have a safe for this purpose? What would you suggest?

I specify kids because I don't care about burglars, and I don't want something that will impede my access, but I DO want something that will keep it safe from young'uns

2. Remove Ads

long guns or pistols? How many. I have two children one almost 4 and the other almost 2. edit for more information....We have a couple of safes for the long guns. I prefer a long gun for HD and will unlock the safe at night and lock it in the morning. For fast access, I always have a gun on my hip and that's the best way to keep the kids from getting to it. I you are looking for a good way to keep a gun at the ready then I would suggest either 1) wear it. or 2) get one of the quick access safes made for pistols.

I have 3 1/2 yo twin girls and 22 mo son. They're too young to rich the guns if I place them on a high cabinet, but I suspect I will need to think about this subject very soon.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

My kids are in their 30's, but the grandkids and the neighbor's kids...now we have to worry about what to do with the guns.
    When kids are in the house, any weapon not on my person goes into the safes.

I have two safes...Browinings...one short, one tall. The short Browning safe has an electronic entry and I can open it quickly in the dark...6-8 numbers and I don't have to look at the pad to work it.
    The tall safe has a combo and spin handle lock. I need my glasses and a light to open it.
    Both are filled with either pistols long arms (in the tall safe) and ammo...no one is moving either one.

Obviously, a professional could get into anything...but for the normal dirtbag?...I leave home without worry. Besides the Rhodesian Ridgeback also guards the homefront.
    Sure is nice to leave home and not worry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    long guns or pistols? How many.
    Both. I plan to have at least two shotguns and three pistols.

We have a couple of safes for the long guns. I prefer a long gun for HD and will unlock the safe at night and lock it in the morning.
    *facepalm* Why didn't I think of that! Thanks for the suggestion!

...2) get one of the quick access safes made for pistols.
    Do you have any favorite types/brands?

Also, does anyone use a LockSaf biometric safe? If so how do you like it?

jfl
    I don't have kids, but I always heard it is better to gun-proof the kids than to try to kid-proof the guns; there are so many things in the house that are potentially dangerous; the knife set on the kitchen counter, razor sharp, the chemicals under the sink ... and I am not even mentioning the power tools in the garage !
    Why just focus on firearms ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have a six year old, and when he was first able to move around, I bought a 14-gun Stack-On® safe with an electronic lock (about 350 lbs. and bolted to the floor) for my bedroom. I feel like I can get into it pretty quickly. I also have a keyed lock on my bedroom door. I've also considered the single-gun safes that you can bolt down and they have the quick-access locks that use a finger pattern as opposed to numbers. Oh, and my boy knows very well to stay away from the guns. I've imparted to him the unforgiving nature of firearms, and he's very respectful of this.
    Last edited by The Arverni; November 22nd, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Does anyone have kids?
    Yep. We have 5 of them. We have a safe. Our bedroom is on the second floor so it isn't a really heavy safe. More of a really sturdy metal gun cabinet. It keeps curious hands away from things they ought not to fool with. I don't know how long it would slow down a crook who broke in.

But, as some one else said, it is much better to gun proof the kid than to kid proof the guns. All of our kids have been taught from a very early age what a gun is, what it can do and to not touch them with out Mom or Dad being there and saying it is ok.

Homak makes a good sturdy metal locking gun cabinet. I have seen others but the name of the makers escapes me right now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have kids. As a parent visiting relatives this holiday, let me suggest you worry more about the rest of the house then the guns. I gun-proofed my kids, not my house so much. I don't know if your niece and nephew have been taught gun safety rules, or how old they are, etc. but I have 1 baby and 2 other kids under 10. I have always worried more about medicine bottles, other poisons, breakable stuff, etc. than I did guns in relatives houses that we visit.

With most young kids, a gun without a bullet in the chamber is a paper weight. They do not have the strength to rack the slide so no worries. If your niece and nephew are in this category then just keep your handgun on your hip and your rifle/shotgun somewhere accessible to you (like a gun rack in the living room or high shelf in a closet). Then go around and move the more dangerous stuff like bug spray, paint thinner, ash trays, etc. to safer places and turn down the hot-water heater, tie up the blinds cords, etc. so that they don't hurt themselves. I'm serious, that's what I worry about as a parent visiting a relatives house.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Also, does anyone use a LockSaf biometric safe? If so how do you like it?
    I'm not a fan of the biometric safes that I've tried...I prefer the type made by gunvault (there are a bunch of manufacturers that make this type). I also agree with the gunproof your kids comment. My son is already starting to show some interest in guns and sometimes we sit down together so he can look at mine. My wife and I are already working on the basics of safety with him and are trying to impress the importance of not touching a gun if mum or dad aren't around.

When I have my own kids, I plan to train them to use firearms, but my brother (actually my half-brother) and I haven't spoken in a long time. I don't really know his views on guns. I just found out I'm an uncle.

This brings up an interesting question, however, I know that someone under 18 can go hunting with the supervision of a adult, but what about home defense? Is it legal for a minor to use their parent's firearm to protect themselves?

The best thing you can do is educate the kids about guns and how to handle them safely. My son is less than a year old right now, but he will grow up around firearms and know how to use them safely. Don't try and kid proof your guns...teaching the kids about them is your best option
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I have 4, and we have made them aware and even taken all but my youngest to the range shooting. Right now we only have 2 handguns, but plan to get a safe/gun cabinet when we get a long gun. We also have 2 good size dogs here when we're gone. If we had family coming with kids I would do as PP suggested though too. Fortunately for me, we don't this year. :)
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Links