Advice on FAA approve cases

This is a discussion on Advice on FAA approve cases within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe I might be getting a week in the Nevada desert for Christmas..got to love my Ms Claus So I will need to transport ...

Thread: Advice on FAA approve cases

Advice on FAA approve cases

I believe I might be getting a week in the Nevada desert for Christmas..got to love my Ms Claus So I will need to transport a full size 9mm and a 45 millinium pro on the airlines. What's your favorite case?
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

2. Remove Ads

Anything that's hard and can be locked.

Recently went to Vegas with the wife and we didn't have any problems flying out there or back.

Make sure you go through all the TSA regs/rules for transporting your firearms AS WELL AS any additional requirements your airline may have. For ex: Airtran wants the ammo packed in checked bag separate from your gun. I just threw the box in our 2nd bag and it was fine.

The Complete Process

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
      • if the TSA wants to see.
    8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Thanks for those quick replies and advice!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

jfl
    Lone Wolf had cases for 2 pistols for $9.95, TSA approved.
    I found it easy every time I flew commercial lately, the TSA folks were very helpful.
    I love the look on the counter agent and the other travelers when I tell her, casually: "I need to declare 2 unloaded guns" and after she looks at me, puzzled, I tell her "Yeah, give me one of these red tags and call your supervisor if you are not familiar with the procedure."
    I fly Delta (free) and never had a bad experience ..... yet !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Make sure to print off a copy of the Airlines regs for transpoting of firearms, also print a copy of the TSA fact sheet !

DONT FLY DELTA ~ I no longer have a gun or a permit thanks to them, stick to the rules and regs and cross your fingers !
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    GHFLRLTD, post is excellent.

I use a Secure-IT or Center of Mass metal case because it has a small form factor and a cable to loop through my bag's hanger system. I also secure my pistol with a VisuaLock.

Visualock 9mm

Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe : Cabela's

Center Of Mass Central

Quote Originally Posted by irish_ironsight View Post
    Make sure to print off a copy of the Airlines regs for transpoting of firearms, also print a copy of the TSA fact sheet !

DONT FLY DELTA ~ I no longer have a gun or a permit thanks to them, stick to the rules and regs and cross your fingers !
    Some details would be appreciated.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by irish_ironsight View Post
    +1 to this. I was flying back from Manitoba from a black bear hunt and was checking in at the airport. I was flying Northwest and told the agent that I had a firearm to declare. She had a shocked look at said in a loud voice, "You have a firearm?!?!" I told her to please get her supervisor as this is perfectly normal. She didn't waste any time getting them either. ha! The supervisor came over and calmly told her that this was very normal and very routine. It was no problem after this. Just make sure that you know the rules and your rights ahead of time. I have only flown with rifles but my double SKB case has been flawless.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    I'd go with the Center of Mass too. You can attach it to some suitcases with the cable included. You can also order two of them (or even more) keyed the same.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

last time I flew with a pistol, I put it in its factory case, and then put a pad lock on the suitcase it was in. I had to declare that I had a firearm in my luggage, the lady at the ticket counter asked me to take it out and show that it was unloaded (terrible policy IMO) then lock it back up. I then had to wait by the thing while they scanned my bag (this was at Phoenix Sky Harbor) so I could open it if needed.

I would just call the airline....There are federal regulations on transporting on a plane, but every airline has different policies.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Some details would be appreciated.
    Do a keywords JFK Airport.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have cheap plactic cases that I can put a lock on...then I also have my Center-of-Mass safe...either works well.
    You're not going to have a tough time at the airport.
    The CoM case is better as it can loop on something inside the suitcase and then you have a great case while you're renting cars.
    As provided above, print the rules out prior to getting to the airport...some of the security have never read the rules.
    If facing a problem, always ask for a supervisor.

Stay armed...travel smart...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can also try a pelican case at Cases4Less.com - Pelican and Storm Cases, Leatherman, Maglite, Surefire, Camelback, Brunton GPS, Buck and Gerber all at the Best Price and these are airline approved. As far as I knew tsa locks were approved because I flew from Minneapolis ,Mn to Billings,Mt with no problems in May of this year with a rifle and handgun unless they changed the rules .merlin45kout

Quote Originally Posted by merlin45k View Post
    You can also try a pelican case at Cases4Less.com - Pelican and Storm Cases, Leatherman, Maglite, Surefire, Camelback, Brunton GPS, Buck and Gerber all at the Best Price and these are airline approved. As far as I knew tsa locks were approved because I flew from Minneapolis ,Mn to Billings,Mt with no problems in May of this year with a rifle and handgun unless they changed the rules .merlin45kout
    The "TSA" locks are ok to use on luggage and bags since it still allows the TSA to open the lock. BUT, technically for the firearms case it should be locked in such a way that only you can unlock it, they shouldn't be able to get in it.

When I flew I just had a normal hard sided plastic pistol case and put two keyed locks on it and then threw that in my large checked rolling suitcase and then the suitcase itself had a TSA-approved lock on it.

Links