To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

This is a discussion on To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After shooting, I clean the carry gun at the range...other than that I clean, inspect, and lube it once a week. The rest get cleaned ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

After shooting, I clean the carry gun at the range...other than that I clean, inspect, and lube it once a week. The rest get cleaned when I get home from wherever they been used...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

2. Remove Ads

I always try to clean my guns when I get home from the range, though sometimes I'll wait until the next morning while the wife's at work. My carry gun gets at least a wipe down and inspection each week, if not an actual cleaning - whether it's been fired or not.

My long guns don't get shot much anymore - only one I've shot in the last 5 years is my 10/22. I try to clean those at least every six months or so.

Do I enjoy cleaning them? Sometimes but not always. I do like knowing my guns are clean and freshly lubed should I really need them - peace of mind goes a long way.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Cleaning is part of shooting. If you don't have time to clean...you don't have time to shoot. + my weapons are too valuable to me not to clean.-------

VIP Member
    I clean my guns because I have to and I'll do a good job of it, but I'm not like my brother, who goes into happy obsessive-compulsive Zen mode cleaning his, and then volunteers to clean everybody else's. Cleaning solvents bother my nose.

My carry guns get regular inspections, lubing, etc. I've seen other people's carry guns look like my tarantulas made nests in them, and were almost "glued" to the insides of their holsters.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I clean after everytime I shoot, usually the same day. That said, I absolutely despise cleaning. To me it is such a nusaince with the little patches and the little nooks and crap that I need to clean. When I clean the gun is going to look showroom new, no half assing it. Probably why it seems to take forever and as I said, I don't like it one bit.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

My 5" 1911s get cleaned every 1500-2000 rounds when I change the recoil spring. I mainly do it to look for warn parts, so they get detail stripped. I do usually pull the slide off somewhere around the halfway mark to wipe the crud off of the feedramp and rails.

My 4" 1911 and 3.5" LDA get cleaned every 500 rounds or so, when I change the recoil spring. I dont detail strip the LDA...

My 9mm AR15 get cleaned every now and then. I've probably got over 3k rounds through it, and its been cleaned twice. Well, the upper has been cleaned twice, the lower has never been cleaned. I'll clean it one of these days.

As you can see, I'm not much on cleaning guns. If it wont work dirty, I dont want it. For the most part, I just oil them and shoot them.

A CLEAN GUN IS A HAPPY GUN!

You know, I've been using that remington aerosol cleaner and I have to say I'm impressed. I like the ability to power spray in tight areas, like inside the slide rail and under the extractor pin. I had the simmilar effect with carb spray [which is cheap] and gun scrubber [which is hella expensive] and the rem cleaner is a happy medium. I found this kit at a local retailer that has a can of action cleaner, bore bright, rem oil, and a low temp dry lube all in one kit. It was price around 25 bucks, which isn't bad. While it took quite a bit of convincing myself to retire the No. 9, I think I will - at least on my pistols. I think the rem aerosol stuff is just too expensive for the quanity I'd need for my rifles.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Based on my experiance spent under the hood of vasrious cars, carb cleaner is not a good idea. Use non-clorinated brake cleaner instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach S
    Based on my experiance spent under the hood of vasrious cars, carb cleaner is not a good idea. Use non-clorinated brake cleaner instead.

I can tell you this - I cleaned my entire Yugo m59/66 SKS with carb cleaner and was dumbfounded on it's performance on the cosmo.....Since then my rifle has been inspected by many including C&R collectors and a Marine drill instructor who [at the time] commented this rifle is not only the cleanest SKS he has ever seen, but the cleanest rifle period!

As with any cleaner should be aware of two things; it's effects on plastic/runner, and it's VOC content. My only beef with carb cleaner is that I have to use it with the windows open and the fan BELOOOOOWIN'. And you can't beat the price - like 3 bucks for a giant can.

Hell I used to know an GM mechanic who cleaned his stove catchers with carb cleaner.....that and fast orange are arguebaly a yardstick of this civilization!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

First, I must say that YES! I do enjoy clean my guns. I must also admit that I do not always clean them the same day that I shoot. My cleaning is most often done in the evening after my family has gone off to bed. If I haven't been to the range for a while, I will still periodically clean, oil and inspect my guns (especially my carry guns). Tho I do not have a set schedule.
    Last edited by fortysomething; January 12th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.

I definately do enjoy cleaning my weapons and do so after each range session.A clean gun ensures it's in good working order,helps maintain value, and just plain looks nicer! how some people don't keep their guns (especialy carry pieces) in the best possible condition is beyond me

I love cleaning!!! I guess I'm just a freak. I buy every new oil and cleaner out there just to try them out. My wife just shakes her head and walks off....

I was taught to consider cleaning the last step of a shooting session. I clean my weapons after shooting them or once a month, whichever comes first. Since I normally shoot every week or two, my pistol usually gets cleaned several times each month. While I was laid up with a broken leg, this fall, I cleaned them monthly.

For me, the smell of cleaner and gun oil is kind of like the smell of cordite and gunsmoke - kind of familiar and comfortable. Cleaning is a nice way to wind down, and time to reflect.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I detail-strip & clean after each shooting session--60 rounds at the range, up to 80 at an IDPA match.

I rotate carry between 2 G21s and a G27. At the range, I shoot the current carry pistol. That's usually all the cleaning I do, but on rare occasions (like vacations or lethargy) if I don't get to the range within a couple of weeks, I will field-strip the current carry pistol, wipe off the lint and dust that accumulates between the slide and receiver, and re-lubricate.

If I shoot one of my 1911's or my Beretta M92 or Sig P245 I will clean it fairly quickly.

I'm a little bit lazier with the Glock and will at times go more than one outing as I find Glocks like to shoot dry and dirty...lol I confess, I've fired my brand new H&K USP 45 about four times now and not cleaned it once! Soon as I get a chance, though...

I confess, if I'm stressed out I find that the routine of either cleaning a firearm or sharpening a knife relaxes me and clears my head.

Now that last one...cleaning an already clean gun because you're bored....anybody who answers in the affirmative has ISSUES IMHO.....speaking as a teacher of psychology. I'd suggest getting some help....(JK)
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links