To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

This is a discussion on To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The smell of Hoppes reminds me of the old Circus Peanuts candy. Anyone? Anyone? I clean after each shoot which works out to be about ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

The smell of Hoppes reminds me of the old Circus Peanuts candy. Anyone? Anyone?

I clean after each shoot which works out to be about once a month recently.

Relaxing I s'pose but I'd rather be doing something else.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I clean them aafter I shoot them, and clean my carry gun once a week
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I seem to run into lots of people that clean their guns all the time,yet they can't seem to get them disassembled. HUH !! ? ------------

Why would you not clean your weapons. Especially the ones that you bet your life on. Can't figure these people out. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; September 6th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Why would you not claen your weapons. Especially the ones that you bet your life on. Can't figure these people out. -------
    If it wont run when its dirty, I'm not going to trust my life to it.

Assistant Administrator
    We have two extremes - the dirty gun that could in fact ultimately be compromized thru inattention to adequate cleaning and, the over-cleaned gun where it has been made surgically sterile

I agree, a dirty (normally soiled) gun should function and not have to be squeeky clean but - there is a middle ground IMO whereby reliability is not endangered but the mechanics are maintained reasonably clean and lubed.

It is very much a ''YMMV'' situation, which will always see all degrees of cleaning suggested. I am as I said - middle ground!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

VIP Member
    I clean every time I shoot. My carry guns get cleaned more often to make sure I get rid of any stray debris & eliminate any rust (especially during the summer!).

I shoot something nearly every day, so it is part of my daily routine.

Since the weather has been bad & I've been off work (not to mention cc.com had been down....), I emptied the gun safes & cleaned everything I own, this included taking everything apart, not just a field strip but a complete tear down to the smallest pieces. The guns that don't get shot very often get this treatment twice a year.

Just finished cleaning a Springfield 1911A1 just prior to this post.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator

If I Shoot It...

I clean it the same day. If it has been sitting around for months and hasn't been to the range...it gets cleaned too! The cleaning includes the mags also!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sorry Zach, One more question-->> would you have a better chance trusting your life to a clean(inside and out) weapon that is properly lubed and/or greased, that has just been taken apart and a check for function has been done.........or..........a firearm that has just had "X" ammount of rounds thru it and it's starting to get a carbon buildup ?? Also it has some grains of sand(silica) in the moving parts from the stuff that the weapon kicked up at the range ?? Also while doing your double tap drills the weapon got a little overheated and the lube has moved and/or desolved.

Would I simply reholster and keep using the weapon as a CC weapon ?? No way,I'd rather have a clean one on my hip.----------

You can have a clean one. I can carry one that gets oiled on aregular basis and hasnt been cleaned in over 1000 rounds.

If its a 5" 1911 that I trust my life too, its had a documented 2000 rounds fired through it without a problem when the only maintenence was wiping the outside down right before getting some lube.

My polymer Kimber has over 10k through it, and despite my cleaning habits (or lack thereof), its still a boring reliable tackdriver. The sear is a little worn though, its got a 2lb triggerbreak...

Lew
    I clean my Taurus pt99 af after every trip to the range. But then a trip to the range never consists of less than 500 rounds and usually is over 1000 rounds in just a few hours. With 4 15 round mags it is easy to burn thru the ammo! Sore thumbs are usually a sign of my sessions. My Taurus was made in 1998 and I would guess it has fired somewhere around the 20,000 rounds with all the original parts, including the springs. I have had 3 misfeeds to which I found to be a cheap aftermarket clip that I kept but don't use anymore. I normally use the UMC 115 gr. cheap ball ammo from walmart, but once in a while spend alittle more green. I Do like the smell of hoppes no.9 and it brings back memorys of cleaning with dad....

I store the weapon in a case I put together with clips and a cleaning kit and some silica gel packs. No rust yet, but the blueing is worn off in several places from lots of use. Once a year I break it down all the way with tools, but normally I just field strip it and clean what I can reach/spray/rub etc.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I would hate to be laying in the gutter bleeding to death over a drop of oil I didn't put on the trigger. Of course who knew it was going to freeze up at that moment. Good by cruel world.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy60 View Post
    I would hate to be laying in the gutter bleeding to death over a drop of oil I didn't put on the trigger. Of course who knew it was going to freeze up at that moment. Good by cruel world.
    I wouldn't trust my hide to anything that required a drop of oil on the trigger! H&K or Glock or Sig ..... that To Hell & Back Reliability is the real deal on all of them. My H&K USP 45 went over 2,000 rds without any cleaning or lubrication right from the box! I'd trust my life and the life of my wife to that gun anyday.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Endowment Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I cleaned our guns for the first time this weekend. I liked doing it actually. I've only gone shooting twice with my husband so far; don't worry, I would be shooting more but I got a new job that has taken alot of my time. I'm really looking forward to the next gun range visit now that the guns are all clean though!

After every shooting, other than that just sporadically as I feel it is needed. I worked with one fellow LEO who carried a Tarus 9mm, I was cleaning my gun one day and offered to clean his, since I had never saw him clean it and it looked rough. No joke, broke it down and there was rust everywhere. He never cleaned it, and shot it only when he had to for qualification. Glad to say after some deep, continuos, and verbally abusive counseling by myself and other officers he started taking proper care of his guns.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links