To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey. - Page 5

To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

This is a discussion on To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to clean mine after every shooting trip but my Marine Corps buddy recently told me not to, said every 500-1000 rounds would be ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To clean, or not to clean. That is the survey.

I used to clean mine after every shooting trip but my Marine Corps buddy recently told me not to, said every 500-1000 rounds would be ok depending how dirty the ammo is. This guy is a retired Marine Officer so I'll take his word on it.

Sponsor
    We had a term that the people who did not maintain their duty weapons, let alone their other carry weapons. They were termed:

1 D 1 0 T's

Thats pronounced One D Ten T's.

Any 1 D 1 0 T we found on the dept. was summarily told in no uncertain terms they would not ride with us, nor would they be allowed to respond to backup calls and be relied on.

Once they got that reputation, others would make them break down the gun beofre they were allowed out on shift at any time. Kept them on theor toes and their guns cleaned. Some of them didn't know how to clean the gun, and thats why they didn't do it as well, so we would give them a "cleaning" class, that really went over big with everyone, especially the sgts and Lts. who were "above" it all.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I clean after every trip to the range. It's how I was trained in the Army.
    My Drill SGT would probably look me up and thrash me if he ever heard I wasn't keeping my weapon clean!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Senior Moderator
    I clean after every trip to the ranage in about once every three months even if the gun hasn't been shot.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I clean the SKS every time I take it out. The Russian 7.62x39 is just too dirty. I know the gun is supposedly a tank, but I'd rather not find out its limits.

The HK gets cleaned just about every time it gets shot. The gun seems to shoot better after I have put a few rounds into it, but I've decided that to be a human factor. I just can't fathom that a gun is okay to shoot without cleaning it. Especially with some of the carbon build-up.... you let it sit and that stuff takes a pound of C4 to get off.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I clean after every trip to the ranage in about once every three months even if the gun hasn't been shot.
    Pretty much the same here, though with 50 assorted guns at home, the low usage guns (haven't been shot/handled in at least 6 months and my "collector" pieces) may only get a yearly cleaning and lube, mainly to check for rust and over all condition. However, except for carry & home defense weapons, they are all stored in a climate controlled safe, so that helps cut down BIG TIME on most maintainence problems.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Every time I shoot'em I clean'em

I'd feel awfully stupid if my gun jammed because of something I did. That's a tragedy waiting to happen. The best, most-compatible ammo I can find gets paired with a clean, well-lubed and well-used gun that's in-tune and ready to be used. There's simply no good alternative.

I don't always clean immediately following a range session, but usually I do. I don't always enjoy the idea of cleaning, but I always enjoy the feel of a cleaned weapon. I won't clean yours if you send it to me, but I'd be happy to send a few hundred rounds through it to ensure it works properly ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    Pretty much the same here, though with 50 assorted guns at home......
    FIFTY!!! Shades of GEORGE WASHINGTON! He had fifty. I'm jealous.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    To some of you "anti clean" guys out there.............You bet your life on your car everyday.......do you ever grease it and/or change the oil ??? Howz 'bout tire pressure ???

Sorry,just wondering. ---------

I clean after each trip to the range.

I wipe down after each shift, South Florida weather,
    is real hard on my Sig.

I don't really like it, but just got in the habbit.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    To some of you "anti clean" guys out there.............You bet your life on your car everyday.......do you ever grease it and/or change the oil ??? Howz 'bout tire pressure ???

Sorry,just wondering. ---------
    Yes, chassis gets lubed with an oil change. Tire pressue checked weekly, along with fluid levels.

However I never tear the engine apart to clean it, I dont wash them very often, and the undercarrige almost never gets cleaned. I hose it off when the roads get salted though, maybe half a dozen times over winter.

Like my guns, my cars get rode hard, put away wet. They're tools. They have a job to do, and despite my "abuse," "neglect," or whatever else you want to call it, they do the job well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links