LG-405 Crimson Trace; LOP question...

This is a discussion on LG-405 Crimson Trace; LOP question... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love snubbies and my 642 in particular. I'm thinking of adding laser grips becasue my eyes are getting bad, however I don't want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I love snubbies and my 642 in particular. I'm thinking of adding laser grips becasue my eyes are getting bad, however I don't want to lengthen the reach to the trigger. I don't want a larger grip that the original uncle mikes boot grip. I know the new LG-405 crimson trace grips cover the backstrap and that sounds good for recoil but it also sounds like it would have to make the reach to the trigger longer.

I'm worried that I'll buy these and find them making it hard to get a good position on the trigger with my index finger.

I was wondering if any of you have the new LG-405's and could comment on how it changed the grip from the standard grips?

Thanks a lot for the help...

Ron
    I have LG-405's on my 642. They are about 2 years old, and work just great. I don't find any increase of the grip to the trigger to be a problem, and I don't have particularly large hands.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Sounds like you're looking for the original LG-105 model if you can still find it.

I do know, however, that the same configuration grips are available as the LG -105 PINK. Yes, they're pink and that is altogether another issue!

Defender Series - S&W J-frame, round butt only Polymer Grip, Overmold Front LG-105 PINK

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for the original LG-105 model if you can still find it.

I do know, however, that the same configuration grips are available as the LG -105 PINK. Yes, they're pink and that is altogether another issue!

Defender Series - S&W J-frame, round butt only Polymer Grip, Overmold Front LG-105 PINK
    I think that the LG-105 was what S&W put on the guns when you ordered it with laser grips. I ordered the LG-405 from CT and my dealer put them on. I prefered them because they concealed better for pocket carry.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

"Everybody is entitled to their own PERCULIAR opinion"

That's what an old colonel of mine used to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I prefered them (LG-405) because they concealed better (than LG-105 grips) for pocket carry.
    However, I stand to be corrected, but I believe the LG-105 grips ARE closer to the shape of the Uncle Mike Boot Grips than the LG-405, are smaller and more closely follow the S&W Model 642 frame, making them the best choice for pocket carry based simply on that criteria.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    That's what an old colonel of mine used to say!

However, I stand to be corrected, but I believe the LG-105 grips ARE closer to the shape of the Uncle Mike Boot Grips than the LG-405, are smaller and more closely follow the S&W Model 642 frame, making them the best choice for pocket carry based simply on that criteria.
    Well, it's been awhile and maybe it wasn't the LG-105 S&W was putting on the 642, but I am positive that the LG-405 was better for concealed carry then what they were putting on when I got my 642.

In any event, I carry my 642 with the LG-405 grips in a Mika pocket holster in every kind of shorts and pants, other then jeans, with no issue of the gun being totally concealed.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ron, could you try to descrip how much thickness the 405 grips add to the back of the backstrap? I know you can see the lower part of the backstrap, just not the top. I'm worried that the little bit of material will make the reach to the trigger a bit too long for my short fingers. If not, it would seem that it would help with recoil from the +p's.

I could buy a set from someone who I can return it to if they don't fit. I just hate to spend the moneyo or go to the trouble if they won't fit.

I've never used lasers before and practice point shooting but with my eyes I'd like to try it....

Thanks

I have a set of LG-105's on my snubby and I like them. They fit well, don't drag on clothing, and the gun points naturally. I don't notice any difference in the length of pull from the originals. The 405's are too bulky for me.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Ron, could you try to descrip how much thickness the 405 grips add to the back of the backstrap? I know you can see the lower part of the backstrap, just not the top. I'm worried that the little bit of material will make the reach to the trigger a bit too long for my short fingers. If not, it would seem that it would help with recoil from the +p's.

I could buy a set from someone who I can return it to if they don't fit. I just hate to spend the moneyo or go to the trouble if they won't fit.

I've never used lasers before and practice point shooting but with my eyes I'd like to try it....

Thanks
    Gideon,

They really add very little thickness. I don't have big hands and have no trouble at all in terms of reach to the trigger. I doubt very much that you would have difficulty with your reach to the trigger.

I will say that they are helpful in absorbing recoil from Spear Gold Dot 135 Gr.+P ammo, which is the self defense round I use.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Great pics, WC!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

The 105's are the way to go. I have them on my model 36 and love love love them. I picked them up 3 months ago at the gun show for $160. A couple dealers were trying to pass them off at the 405 price so remember when you go to purchase them the price should be $160 to $180.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I've got a set of LG-305 I'd be happy to sell; cost me $275 about a year ago. W/extra batteries, orig. box, manual, & hex key (allen wrench). I don't think it affected the feel of the grip at all. Pictures at:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-interest.html

Make me a decent offer and I'll sell the gun without 'em.

=====
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Great pics, WC!!
    Thanks, the gun is my BUG but it's my favorite out of all the stuff I own.

great pictures for sure! It looks like the 105's are the smallest option. I know the 305's would add length and I don't want/need that. As it is, I can tuck my pinkie up onto the standard boot grip. As much as I'd love the extra cushion of the 405, I think they'll add some thickness and hence make the reach longer.

WC145 you say they help with the recoils, are the 105's really hard plastic or is there some softness to them?

Thanks again for the input and pictures, it really does help!!

The 105's are hard plastic but are very comfortable. They are definately worth it based on the excellent size and comfort without extra unneccesary padding.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links