Converting briefcases into pistol cases

This is a discussion on Converting briefcases into pistol cases within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After all, everyone needs their own spy case! Here is what I am really asking: If you are traveling with your firearms and you want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting briefcases into pistol cases

Converting briefcases into pistol cases

After all, everyone needs their own spy case!

Here is what I am really asking: If you are traveling with your firearms and you want to keep them safe, there are choices out there like Pelican for reliable cases, but the big problem with them is that they scream "GUN!" to anyone who may look in your car or see your luggage. I was wondering if anyone had ever made their own carrying case out of, say, a hard laptop case and some of tear-away foam. I thought it would also be nice to buy an inexpensive briefcase and create a false bottom for it. Any ideas on the most cost-efficient and practical method of creating one? What all kinds of materials would be needed?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

What about putting the pelican case into your luggage?

Just a thought. Around here, briefcases are rare. So they might actually attract more attention. Everyone around here carries their laptop and work related stuff in a man-bag or backpack.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    What about putting the pelican case into your luggage?

Just a thought. Around here, briefcases are rare. So they might actually attract more attention. Everyone around here carries their laptop and work related stuff in a man-bag or backpack.
    Manbag???
    I travel a lot and still see laptop brief cases everywhere. They certainly don't attract more attention.
    Also at the Gun Show yesterday I saw a zip up "Daytimer" type note book that was converted to a pistol case. No one would ever know. Plus it could be easily stored in luggage or a brief case as well.
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get"

I did this with a Zero Halliburton case.

I just used the foam from my S&W/M&P case and formed it around some pluckable foam.

Haven't really found any uses for it yet though.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by moabicon View Post
    Manbag???
    I travel a lot and still see laptop brief cases everywhere. They certainly don't attract more attention.
    Also at the Gun Show yesterday I saw a zip up "Daytimer" type note book that was converted to a pistol case. No one would ever know. Plus it could be easily stored in luggage or a brief case as well.
    Man-bag:

Briefcase

I have a man-bag. It's sold as a "lap-top briefcase" but I don't consider anything that's soft and easy to crush a briefcase.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Okay, my misunderstanding.
    Your "Man-Bag" is the same as my version of a laptop brief case. I guess I'm just not as hip as some. When you referred to a Man-Bag I thought you meant some kind of "European Carry-all" of some sort. Ha!
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get"

Quote Originally Posted by moabicon View Post
    Okay, my misunderstanding.
    Your "Man-Bag" is the same as my version of a laptop brief case. I guess I'm just not as hip as some. When you referred to a Man-Bag I thought you meant some kind of "European Carry-all" of some sort. Ha!
    My fault - use and interpretation of slang is extremely subjective and I should have been more clear.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This reminds me of the briefcase the Military Armament Corp. came out with when they began producing the MAC-10 Submachine Gun. The gun could be inserted into the case with a loaded magazine. Pulling a lever near the briefcases
    handle would fire the gun. The bullets exited through a small predrilled port and the ejected brass remained in the case. Clean and efficient.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    This post has reminded me of when I was much younger - watching a TV Series called: Either "The Man from Uncle" or "Man from Uncle" and their gadgets. I think I saw them use some kind of briefcase that had a button or something to press and it fired a bullet from the briefcase itself.
    For God, Family and Country!

cj
    I actually picked up a thrift store briefcase for just this purpose...but haven't been able to track down a good source of pluckable foam...any suggestions for a good supplier?

Pelican actually sells just the foam on their website.

Here's another idea that I got from watching the movie Shade with Sly Stallone -- He's a card mechanic and his special briefcase that holds all his cheating apparatus has what looks like elastic bands strung across the top half of the briefcase to hold some of his sleeve machines, etc. That might come in handy for holding anything from targets to instruction manuals to holsters.

Anyone ever turned a laptop case/briefcase into a false-bottomed gun carrier?
    Last edited by Risque007; December 8th, 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Elaboration
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Kinda reminds me of the secret agent briefcase you could fire a toy gun out of back in the ahuuuummm 60's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Any furniture upholsterer has the dense foam you need and can cut it in a matter of minutes with a heated wire devise they use. Shouldn't cost much at all. They gave me enough scraps to do a gun case. I simply used a razor knife.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I bought foam at a fabric store....
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

I have a Eagle Industries attache case that is over 10 years old and still going strong. It sells now for about $105.00, but worth the money. It doubles as a brief case and has a compartment for hiding a handgun very well. Worth looking into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links