Defensive Carry banner

Best Vest

6K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  RickB 
#1 ·
Hello fellow gun addicts, I desire to buy a good CC vest. Don't want one that looks too tactical and I will be wearing a shoulder rig some of the time. Not sure I want leather either. Any ideas?
Thanks

#2 ·
#6 ·
i wear a shoulder hostler 3 to 4 days each week on the job. i have found in the winter the carhartt vest work well and hides the rig. you can go to most outlets stores and find low price/well made vests that will hide the rig also. i have many different colors and styles of vests that i use. i would stay away from the 5.11 style vests, they standout and say i got a "gun". get the vest a little bigger so it will fit over the rig. that way the rig will not "print".

#7 ·
The type of vest you wear depends greatly on the weather and the other clothes you're wearing. In FL, I'm usually wearing shorts so a vest is pretty much out of the question. On my Harley, my leather vest barely covers my sidearm, and it wouldn't work with a shoulder rig.
I do think that you could find a decent vest at Sears or J.C. Penny's to wear with Levi's...and a Levi type vest (as pictured above) could work.
Vest's and shoulder rigs?...that's a tough one. Ordering stuff on-line is a pain because things never fit correctly...I have to 'be there' to try them all on, but that's me.

Stay armed...shop around...stay safe!

#17 ·
I'm a HUGE fan of the Scott eVest. I have several Version 2.0's; bought them years ago, used them in training a bunch of times and they are still in excellent shape.

SCOTTeVEST
that's some vest alright.

#18 ·
I actually bought my vest on e-Bay. After doing a web search I found the best price there. Lot's of other places have 'em like L.A. Police gear etc. I'd Google around because some places will be having sales now that Christmas is over. :wink:

#19 ·
I keep coming back, looking at your Rogue Elite vest. I like my 5.11 for travel and IDPA, but it is really too "commando" for a lot of times I'd like to wear one, and too hot during the summer. Another company advertises a similar vest, but looks like Rogue Elite is a forum sponsor.
Think I'll go shopping like you suggest.

#24 ·
IMO the key to a vest is having many of them. When people get used to seeing you in a vest it doesn't matter what the vest looks like. That said, some of the fisherman and "tactical" vests stick out no matter what.

I wear a lot of eddie bauer vests. They are the kind of granola-eating, tree-hugging attire that makes me look less like a gun toter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.