Flashlights and TSA

This is a discussion on Flashlights and TSA within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the airport today to drop off a relative. The plane was late so I went through the security area to have lunch ...

Thread: Flashlights and TSA

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Flashlights and TSA

I went to the airport today to drop off a relative. The plane was late so I went through the security area to have lunch with him. I was a bit concerned about my Surefire E2D but I put it in the bin with my shoes, keys... and had no problem at all.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    What are you going to do with a flashlight, blind someone? bigger question is how you got thru the security checkpoint without a boarding pass.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I carry my E2D everywhere on airplanes, including internationally.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    What are you going to do with a flashlight, blind someone?
    That is the intent of carrying the light for self defense. And the strike bezel is also good weapon. In reality, it comes in very handy for many purposes.

bigger question is how you got thru the security checkpoint without a boarding pass.
    I got an assist pass to help with the carry on.

lol, as long as your flashlight couldn't be swung as a club and didn't have a detonator, battery, charge and/or a switch you shouldn't have a problem!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    I had a flash light in my carry on back pack on a flight to Ireland and back a few weeks ago. No problems.

I usually have a flash light and a few laser pointers in my carry on. Only once they looked at the laser pointer because the screener said it looked like a syringe in the xray.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    That's actually good to know SD, thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    TSA has a brochure that lists most things that are permitted and that are not permitted.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    What are you going to do with a flashlight, blind someone? bigger question is how you got thru the security checkpoint without a boarding pass.
    You don't need a boarding pass to go through the security checkpoint...just to pass the boarding gate.

I carry my SureFire on a lanyard when flying...I can then easliy find it in the dark.

Why you ask? Let me tell you about how close (a few days) I came to being involved in Delta plane crash.
    We were living in Alaska and my two boys and I were planning on flying back to Detroit, via Delta flight 232, on July 19, 1989. We had left our motorhome in NM and had planned on leaving it there for the summer and just spend a few weeks in MI visiting relatives...then fly back to AK.
    Five days prior to leaving for MI, I changed our tickets (myself and my two boys) to instead of flying directly to Detroit, we took a leg to NM to pick up our motorhome and store it in MI prior to flying back to AK. That change of plans saved our lives.

While in the terminal in Denver, I remember pointing out to my boys the plane (Flt: 232) that was supposed to take us to Detroit, but we were now taking another flight to NM. We boarded our plane, had a comfortable flight, and landed in NM, and while walking throught the terminal, noticed that all the TV's were showing the news reports of the plane crash in Sioux City, IA...the plane we were days from taking.

Of the almost 300 passengers, only about 100 died, the rest had to try and make their way through darkness and smoke of the broken up fuselage that was destroyed on the runway.
    Actually, my sons and I had seats 15 A,B, and C, I believe...I know that those who did fill our vacancies, did not make it.

But since that day, I have always flown with a light...just some extra insurance for guiding one's way in the dark.

What if a roof collapsed in a store where you were shopping and the lights went out...it's another reason to carry that SureFire, even in the middle of the afternoon...it's not necessarily to 'blind someone'.

Sorry for the tangent......just thought I'd share.

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smaller airports will not allow you past the security point without a ticket. I am always flying in and out of small airports both commercially and in a private plane with a contracted pilot. There are no restrictions flying private, I travel that way every time it is practical.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links