Smaller Wood Grips for Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Smaller Wood Grips for Ruger SP101 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some help...I've tried Badger wood grips on my Ruger SP101 and although they were beautiful, they were too fat and make the length of ...

Thread: Smaller Wood Grips for Ruger SP101

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Need some help...I've tried Badger wood grips on my Ruger SP101 and although they were beautiful, they were too fat and make the length of pull too long for my short hands!

Then I tried a pair of Secret Service grips from Eagle and they were also just a hair too big but "sufferable". They aren't as good looking as the Badgers. I haven't tried Houge because I don't want the longer grip.

I'd really like to find some nice wood grips that are smaller than either mentioned above. I've looked at ahrends but they don't make them for Rugers.

Seems like everyone makes grips for Ruger single actions but few seem to make them for Ruger SP101's which surprises me.

Finally, do any of you have experience buying a pair of grips and then sanding them down to reduce the size? It would make me sick to buy a $70 dollar pair of grips and ruin them in the attempt!

I know I can't make my own as I don't have the equipment or time so do any of you have anythoughts for guys like me with small hands who want nice wood on their Ruger SP101's?

Thanks as always for your time!

Gideon, I know it's a matter of form/function/preference, but I was just wondering if you had thought of keeping the factory grips and using wood inserts instead on all wood grips. There are several who make the inserts in lots of different and even exotic woods. I know it's not the same thing, but just a thought.
    Steve

Check out the pics in this thread for wood inserts I put in my sp101. You can find them at rugerforum.com, there is thread there someplace where I guy sells them.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...uger-pics.html
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Then I tried a pair of Secret Service grips from Eagle and they were also just a hair too big but "sufferable". They aren't as good looking as the Badgers. I haven't tried Houge because I don't want the longer grip.
    Gideon,
    To date, I've never found anything smaller than the Secret Service grips. I have small hands and I find them to be a good fit, but I have kept my eyes out for something smaller and have yet to find anything.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I saw some cheap wood grips on Ebay today, wouldn't be afraid to buy them and attack them with some 1" strip sandpaper.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Nice grips gpsxplr, I do have some walnut inserts in mine. I'd like to find some black/gray laminate inserts but haven't been able to find them.

I do like the original grips as far as shootability but nothing looks as good as wood!! I mainly shoot .38's out of mine so the recoil isn't too much of an issue.

You guys are confirming what I've heard/thought, but maybe ICTsnub is on to something....If I could find a pair of Eagle grips that are heavily used that someone might sell cheap, I could afford to go to it with some sanding!!!

Perhaps I'll check into that!

Gideon, if you have not done so, try rugerforum-dot-net and look for 44_magnum. This gentleman makes a nice selection of grip inserts (pics on site), and may do custom work IIRC.
    Steve

Links