Defensive Carry banner

Hoppes # 9

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  matdicdad 
#1 ·
Hi All
Recently switched back to Hopps gun cleaning products had coupons!
It has been many years since Ive used hopps but remember in my youth it was #1 but remember a certain distinct sweet smell to there gun oil but the #9 reminds me of Remy oil now did they change up? and does anyone else still use hopps products have seen many new things on market such as Breakfree but have never used im old school and dont change much. How are they and has anyone used the Otis cleaning system and is it worth buying?

#3 ·
Hoppes #9? Used it for may years for the bores of all my guns.....until Gunzilla came along, and I've been using it exclusively since. Gunzilla replaced all of these for me.....and this isn't a market plug for them in any way....I now rely on this product.

HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THIS

AND I HAVE PLENTY OTHER THINGS I SELDOM USE NOW

The OTIS cleaning system is very good IMO. I used to use that a lot as well, but for the quick swab through a warm bore before leaving the range is more easily done with Bore Snakes these days for me...but, the OTIS cable system is good for dislodging stuck cases, and for rimfire rifles where you want to clean properly from breech to muzzle since the cable is flexible enough to go through the open action with a short brush or patches. You can use regular patches with the OTIS cleaning system, but the OTIS patches can be used several times per patch. The OTIS system is pretty handy for rifles, but I use the Glock factory nylon brush/plastic rod for all of my pistol cleaning purposes any caliber up to 45acp.

#5 ·
I use Hoppes and RemOil, just depends on what mood I'm in

#8 ·
Yes now if you splash on some hopps and find a woman attracted to it she may be worth marrying:rofl:

#7 ·
Thanks guys had been reading about Gunzilla is it a all in one cleaner solvent oil?

#10 ·
+1 on the Hoppes #9 aftershave. My wife always comments on the scent, referring to our days as newlyweds. :image035:

We lived in base housing at Lejeune (Tarawa Terrace); there was no place to clean the guns but the kitchen table. The place was so small, you could smell it everywhere as soon as you cracked the bottle.

#12 ·
Like I say...Gunzilla is doing for me what a four step process used to do. I'm depending on it. Started out as a test for me, but gaining confidence each and every time I use it. One step....bore clean, lubricate, and protect. That is just my opinion though and I was rather apprehensive at first and skeptical to the claims. But for now, I'm using nothing else and I'll swear to that. Just get the 1.9oz trial size for yourself, and make your own decisions. My 1.9oz bottle is already gone, and I'm into the big bottle now in a few months time! It's not a sales pitch....you just owe it to yourself to try. It's hard to make a break-through with me, at my age, and as long as I've been cleaning guns. But it happened.

#17 ·
I still use Hoppe's #9 for bore cleaning and my wife uses it for perfume when she really wants to get me all worked up :)

Hoppe's #9 and Break Free pretty much takes care of everything for me. Except for some specialty stuff I use for cleaning black powder guns and greasing nipples and choke tubes.

#19 ·
That's exactly what I said. Exactly what I said. In the beginning.
I actually just did my wife's 10/22 after 500+ rounds (took it out last week for a couple hundred MORE rounds) with Gunzilla. Yeah...I broke it down completely (I do that every now and then with the 10/22's), and 22lr is nasty....real nasty. Made quick work tonight.

#20 ·
Hoppe's #9 and Break Free pretty much takes care of everything for me. Except for some specialty stuff I use for cleaning black powder guns and greasing nipples and choke tubes.
Gunzilla handles all those & I'll bet after you clean your gun with Hoppe's if you cleaned it with Gunzilla you will find more carbon on your patches. Gunzilla flat cleans better than Hoppes #9.

I guess you can clean your firearm using Gunzilla, then sprinkle some Hoppe#9 on it just to have the smell around and be old school ...

We lived in base housing at Lejeune (Tarawa Terrace); there was no place to clean the guns but the kitchen table. The place was so small, you could smell it everywhere as soon as you cracked the bottle
Gunzilla is safe and 100% organic. There are NO hazardous material in Gunzilla.

Here is the ingredients to hoppes#9 according to it's MSDS

Ingredients
No. CAS Number Ingredient Percentage Remarks
1 64-17-5 ETHYL ALCOHOL 0 - 35 % default range
2 8008-20-6 KEROSENE 0 - 35 % default range
3 00-00-0 TRADE SECRET INGREDIENT(S) 0 - 25 % default range
4 00-00-0 ORGANIC ESTER 0 - 10 % default range
5 7664-41-7 AMMONIA, AQUEOUS 0 - 10 % default range
6 00-00-0 NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS chemical identities withheld as a trade secret:no % given by mfg

#23 ·
I have never used Weaponshield but looking at the flyer

Weaponshiled uses synthetic hydrocarbons, many hydrocarbons are used as fuels.

Many cleaners use hydroncarbons, for example hoppes #9 contains kerosene. It appear that the Hydrocarbons in Weaponshield are Non-Toxic & contains no volatiles.

Gunzilla is produced from 100% plant materials and is also non toxic.

Gunzilla breaks the carbon bond removing carbon easily from the steel.

Gunzilla leaves a very slick surface even when dry.

Here are some tests conducted compairing Gunzilla and CLP.

They tested Gunzilla against CLP, because CLP is what the military uses and Gunzilla was developed for military use.

Test

#24 ·
Ok question for 1911 owners my springfield hates running dry so when I clean I use some hopps gun grease on frame in slide track seems to work much better than just oil anybody else do this or something different? seems to cut down on jams also has anybody changed recoil spring out from standard to square spring with more tension for recoil?
Thanks All

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.