Where does one purchase a decent scope?

This is a discussion on Where does one purchase a decent scope? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, DC! I've got a good question for you: what's a good side-rail scope for an SLR-101S. I don't need 2486928628528x magnification because AK's aren't ...

Greetings, DC!

I've got a good question for you: what's a good side-rail scope for an SLR-101S. I don't need 2486928628528x magnification because AK's aren't accurate beyond a few hundred feet from what I hear, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to have 2 or 4x in a good, crisp, clear scope.

Is there one that you folks have sorta consensus agreed upon as a great option?

Also, how does a side-mounted scope even work? Wouldn't shots always be to the right since the rail is on the left of the gun? Or is that the case with all scopes and you learn how much correction is needed to hit your target?

Thanks,
    David

I guess that would depend on your definition of "decent". I've never had a side mount scope, but I'm sure you could zero it on target without the need for hold over. On an AK type rifle, I don't think a scope is even necessary. If I had to have some kind of optic on an AK rifle, it would more than likely be a 40mm red dot of some sort and should still be very effective out to 100yds. But I might search out some form of top mount system unless the AK was already fit with a side mounting system. Just my opinions.

AK-47 Scope Mounts
    Here are a few examples. Frankly, the Russian surplus is the best choice. UTG is usable, but was made for Airsoft. Unless you have a poorly made rifle, it will hold 2MOA with decent ammo (Winchester White box, or similar).

The most significant problem is offset- your scope will be much higher than the bore. Do some research on optics mounting, before you buy. Cheap option: the Simmons 44mag, or similar. Moderate-to-high-end: Burris Fullfield or Signature.

Get on getoffthex.com and warriortalk.com and read up on the AK boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I guess that would depend on your definition of "decent". I've never had a side mount scope, but I'm sure you could zero it on target without the need for hold over. On an AK type rifle, I don't think a scope is even necessary. If I had to have some kind of optic on an AK rifle, it would more than likely be a 40mm red dot of some sort and should still be very effective out to 100yds. But I might search out some form of top mount system unless the AK was already fit with a side mounting system. Just my opinions.
    My SLR-101 came with a side-rail already on it. I figure unless side-mount is utter garbage, I might as well use what I've already got rather than spend money (that I don't have ) on reinventing the wheel...or the rail, as it were.

I like the idea of a dot. Only problem is, in a fecal matter hits the air circulator scenario, how long do batteries for laser mounts last? By contrast, scopes would last forever assuming you treated them gently and didn't crack a lens.

I am trying to keep it very low tech, which is why I got the AK in the first place. As much as I hate Communism, they are insanely good at mass-producing stuff that can be fixed with a pack of matches, a rubber band, and paste. No seriously, I recall in the Planet Earth BBC series that the folks who were tracking down Gobi Desert camels were driving a Soviet-made truck, and they took a box of scrap metal and a blow torch with them so that if it broke down, they could jeryrig parts on the go.

I swear I could replace any of the major parts in my AK with hand-made stuff. I'm sure it would drastically reduce the accuracy and firepower, but I bet you money I could get the thing to still fire in a pinch, and that is pretty snazzy.

So unless laser mounts run off those little disc batteries that somehow seem to last until the cows come home, then I don't know that I'd be interested.

Lasers? Who said anything about lasers? Those red dot sights will run off those ever lasting (seemingly) coin batteries. But maybe you'd be better off with a 4x32 scope? All I can say is....well, listen to Rob72. I know he has more experience than I do with the AK's.

Senior Moderator
    Scopes, Red Dots & Spotters

Here ya go.
    One of the cheapest places on the net..
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    AK-47 Scope Mounts
    Here are a few examples. Frankly, the Russian surplus is the best choice. UTG is usable, but was made for Airsoft. Unless you have a poorly made rifle, it will hold 2MOA with decent ammo (Winchester White box, or similar).

The most significant problem is offset- your scope will be much higher than the bore. Do some research on optics mounting, before you buy. Cheap option: the Simmons 44mag, or similar. Moderate-to-high-end: Burris Fullfield or Signature.

Get on getoffthex.com and warriortalk.com and read up on the AK boards.
    Thanks. Your link to the AK-47 scope MOUNTS was actually really useful. It jogged me into remembering that when I bought my Rem 870 used last year, the seller gave it to me with a scope attached to it that I took off because I saw no point in it.

I'm positive it's not even remotely top of the line. It's called a "Tasco Pronghorn." Looks like a kid's hobby telescope manufacturer, but it works, and it would probably mount if I got a side rail.

Saves me spending $150 of cashola that I can't afford. Now all I need is a $30 side rail with a quick release.

Thanks to both of you in the thread!

Senior Moderator
    We both posted links to CDNN...

Sorry about that....

great minds think alike...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Lasers? Who said anything about lasers? Those red dot sights will run off those ever lasting (seemingly) coin batteries. But maybe you'd be better off with a 4x32 scope? All I can say is....well, listen to Rob72. I know he has more experience than I do with the AK's.
    Oh. See, I'm a total neophyte at this. I know basically nothing about optics, so when you say "red dot" I thought you meant Tom Clancy kinda crap...you know, commandos in a smoke-filled room with laser sights etc.

I can't help it. I grew up in an anti-gun house watching Hollywood propaganda. I'm working on ridding myself of it at this point in my life, and I hate that it's there, but I can't know what I've never been taught, know what I mean?

So yea, maybe a red dot is the way to go if they last a long time. I can't ever seem to get scopes to work well for me anyway. Seems like I can't get a good look through them even when I have the gun tucked in tight and my head leaned the right way, it just seems like the scope is ever so slightly too low so I can't really fully see the reticle, and in that situation, what's the point?

VIP Member
    My next optic whenever I gather enough money

LaRue Tactical AK-IronDot

A friend of mine has one installed in his AK. I asked him about it and he just grins like he saw puppies for free and his lotto ticket came out the winner. And being a Larue Tactical, it can't be bad.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    My next optic whenever I gather enough money

LaRue Tactical AK-IronDot

A friend of mine has one installed in his AK. I asked him about it and he just grins like he saw puppies for free and his lotto ticket came out the winner. And being a Larue Tactical, it can't be bad.
    So that's a red dot mount that clips on to the iron sights? Nifty. Might just go with that as it's a moderate price range, and looks to be very lightweight.

Now to start saving money... :\

I just got my Aimpoint CompM3 from GG&G A great price for sight, GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and a GG&G A2 Back Up Iron Sight (BUIS). All for the same price lots of places charge for just the sight. 5 year constant on battery life battle proven virtually indestructible what is there not to love?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links