Storing a gun in a jeep

This is a discussion on Storing a gun in a jeep within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a way to store my gun securely in my jeep. I have a jeep wrangler with a soft top. This basically ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing a gun in a jeep

Storing a gun in a jeep

I am looking for a way to store my gun securely in my jeep. I have a jeep wrangler with a soft top. This basically means that even with the doors locked, you can unzip a window and unlock a door in under 10 seconds. This makes the vehicle pretty much useless as a safe place to have a safe. I have considered the idea of bolting a safe to the floor, but space in a jeep is already at a premium. I have read that many people suggest using a Center-of-Mass safe. My question is do you think this would be secure enough for a vehicle which is not secure?

I have also considered the idea of installing a tuffy glove compartment door replacement. Any thoughts on this?
    TJ Security Glove Box for Jeep Wrangler, TJ, Unlimited LJ

Thanks,
    MiloSC
    Last edited by MiloSC; January 9th, 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: to provide more info
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I would go with a COM safe and make it as inconspicuous as possible.

I actually like that steel glovebox, but I don't have any experience with it, and I don't know how well it is secured to the rest of the vehicle.

You could try the COM safebox, but again as you said, you'll have to find some way of securing and making it not normally visible. You could try both bolting and running a steel security loop and locking it to a seat mount bracket or frame member or such.

When I worked on the car lot, a guy traded a Jeep that had an overhead console that ran from the windshield to the roll bar. It had some key lock boxes built in. I want one for my sweetie's Wrangler.
    Last edited by ICTsnub; January 10th, 2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: tardy typer
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

i would recommend the tuffy box. i have heard nothing but good about their security. if you can take a look at them, i think they have one that goes from windshield to rear/middle roll bar, down the center. that might be a good choice., but i don't know if it would hold a pistol.

The COM safe would be good, but like you said, space is at a premium. maybe use the rear tire carrier bolts to bolt the safe to the back door ? would keep it off the floor. or maybe against the tire well ?
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    maybe use the rear tire carrier bolts to bolt the safe to the back door ? would keep it off the floor. or maybe against the tire well ?
    I assume you mean bolting the safe to the inside of the tailgate. I'm not sure if the bolts come all the way through the tailgate. I'll have to check on that tomorrow. But its definitely an interesting idea.

The tuffy overhead console has been mentioned a couple times. As for that I'm not crazy about having to raise my pistol in plain view to place it in an overhead bin(If someone thinks i might be overreacting here just let me know).

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

As for the glove compartment door sounds good in theory, but isn't the glove box itself made out of cardboard, my CJ was, you could reach under the dash and pull it out if you wanted to. How about a safe under the back seat bolted to the floor.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I keep a couple of those red shop towels in the car. I can wrap one around the gun so I don't flash it.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Nice thing about a Jeep is besides bunches of existing bolts sticking through places that you might be able to add something to, there's some un-obstructed floor space behind the rear seat where you should be able to bolt something (at least there was on my YJ). The ideal choice, other than the price, would be any of several brands of locking replacement center consoles. Wouldn't have to unholster out in the open where someone may see you and handy from the driver's seat.

Here's a few different types:
    OVERHEAD SECURITY CONSOLE
    Locking Center Console (probably not the most secure, but it does lock)
    Another one like above
    And another one
    Under seat security (expensive, but room for more than just your handgun)
    Tuffy Products A wide selection of different types.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a tuffy center console and glove box in my TJ. The center console "feels" more secure to me since it's bolted through the floor of the jeep and the glovebox door bolts to the metal dash frame.

I velcro'd in an Ohai holster from Crossbreed. it works great. It's at least as secure as a COM box. If someone really really wanted to get into it, they could. But on the rare occasion that I leave my EDC in the jeep, there's also 75lbs. of Schutzhund-trained GSD in there....
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    While I own a Jeep it is a Grand Cherokee 4x4 not a Wrangler. If I owned a Wrangler I think I would put my welding skills to work and fab up a small square water tight safe-box out of 3/16" steel plate and leave a 1/4" flange at the top around the entire perimeter.

Then using flat steel bar stock (at least 1/4" thick) I would drill a 1/4" hole right near one end of the flat steel. Weld that piece to the center floor of the box so that it sticks up from the bottom to the top and ends flush with the very top).

I would then fab a lid for the box that fits down inside the inner dimensions of the steel box (so that the lid doesnt sit on the top flange of the box but fits down into the box). You would need a slot into the lid that the steel flat bar would protrude through by just a half inch. This is where you would put a very good strong lock.

You also would need to weld one triangle shaped piece of flat bar into each corner of the box at a depth of about 9/16" so that the flat lid has somewhere to sit and not fall in to the box.

Then, I would cut a hole in my floor behind the driver seat the size of the box (minus the flange lip). Slip the box down in side the cut hole and weld the box flange to the floor metal.

Paint the finished work or use some kind of spray-on liner for rust protection. Line the inside of the box with dense foam material.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I use a Secure-It which is like the COM in my convertible Mustang. It's wrapped around the seat post and it slides under the seat. If you had problems with it sliding around under a Jeep seat some heavy duty double sided tape and rubber shelf/tool drawer liner would take care of it.

I don't like the combo version. If it were a 4 number combo it would be ok but that 3 number one is too easy to defeat.

Consider:
    3 numbers = 1000 possible combinations (000 - 999)
    1 second = time to change to next number and try latch
    1000 seconds = 16.67 minutes to test all possible combinations

That's the max possible time. In reality it will take much less than that because they won't have to go through all possible combinations.

If you lock it up and go to a movie it would be easy for a thief to break in, discover it, and just close the door and run through all the combinations.

The key is much more secure. If you get one of those detachable key rings you can just put the safe key on one half and leave it in the lock on the box until you need to lock your gun in it. Then just lock and clip the key onto your ring and you're all set. This has the added advantage of not having your car destroyed by a thief trying to remove an empty safe.

Another option to look at is one of the electronic combo / key backup safes that mount to a baseplate. This lets you remove them to get them out of the way. A second base plate in the house lets you use the same safe to keep your gun secured inside. I have one of the S&W Versa Vaults. It's ok but very noisy when it opens. It sounds like robocop. There is no way to open it quietly unless you use the key.

I run a tuffy in my CJ.
    Does very well, better than any safe I've ever seen.

4 Wheel Drive Tuffy Series II

Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. I'm kind of leaning toward the tuffy glove box. I think it will be fairly cost effective with the least amount of headache. Now its just a matter of scraping up the cash... I'd still be interested to hear any more thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    I run a tuffy in my CJ.
    Does very well, better than any safe I've ever seen.

4 Wheel Drive Tuffy Series II

That center console looks pretty good in there. I might have to consider those too. I had kind of written them off because I didn't like the idea of those sharp looking corners to slam my elbow on. DblTap have you had any problems with that? Thats a good looking rig by the way.

Thanks,
    MiloSC

That center console setup looks nice. Convenient too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links