What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today's wood is Golden or Maidu Amboyna Burl. It's a little more rare (and therefore a little pricier) than it's brother, and is beautiful. Welcome ...

Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Today's wood is Golden or Maidu Amboyna Burl. It's a little more rare (and therefore a little pricier) than it's brother, and is beautiful.
    Welcome to Tuesday.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

2. Remove Ads

Todays set is just seriously cool! The streaks running through the buffalo horn is beautiful! I set the horn over red bubinga (an Afrcian hardwood) and finished it in gloss polyurethane. Wow! I found myself constantly going back and looking at them while they were drying. They just drew me to them.
    Some of the best of natures beauty for sure!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Todays set is just seriously cool! The streaks running through the buffalo horn is beautiful! I set the horn over red bubinga (an Afrcian hardwood) and finished it in gloss polyurethane. Wow! I found myself constantly going back and looking at them while they were drying. They just drew me to them.
    Some of the best of natures beauty for sure!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

Those look awesome!!!

Thanks Rocky! Glad you like them. I was just coming back here to see them again. Something about them just "tickles my fancy" if you will and makes me keep checking them out.
    www.thefinergrain.com

Sorry for the lack of new pics the last couple of days, but I've been swamped both at the office and in the shop. I do have over 20 new sets done and just awaiting pics, so there will be new eye candy shortly.
    I'm giving a 10% Dive trip sale on the site ( Home Page ). For those of you who may have been drooling over a set of grips on the site, but were still on the fence, maybe this is an opportunity for you. I'm going on a long awaited mini vacation with my buds, and we're going diving down in the Sea of Cortez which is just about my favorite place to dive. Anyhow, instructions on what the "coupon code" is and how to use it are on the home page of the site listed above. Enjoy, and THANKS!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Have a great fun dive trip.

There you go folks Spectacular looking grips perfectly fitting grips and now a way that you can save a little $$$ to boot.

The dive trip kicks off on Wednesday, so today and tomorrow will have some pics for you to check out.
    This is a set of officer sized grips done in streaked Gabon Ebony with Mammoth tooth set into them. Beautiful and cool stuff. They were special oredered by a customer and are going out this morning. I'm intrigued by the varied and multiple colors that occur naturally in the mammoth teeth.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    what kind of finish do you put on the wooden grips? oil? poly?

thanks!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

That depends largely on the type of wood and then also on the customers wishes and use type. Oily woods don't much like polyurethane, at least as a first coat anyway. Lacquer will go with most woods, but is not as hard and portective as poly. Oil is not particularly protective of the wood, but is very simple to apply and hard to screw up. Man, I could write pages here on the use of the big 3 listed, but at the rate I type, I'd be here for a week. Here's the short and skinny:
    Polyurethane - hard finish and very protective against moisture, but can be difficult when using on oily woods. A precoat of a different finish or a throrough wipe down with a quick flash solvent can help with this problem somewhat.
    Lacquer - quick drying and easy to apply. A fairly protective finish but not good with prolonged exposrue to wetness. Hot finish (melts and binds with previous layers of lacquer) that doesn't play nicely with others when they are there first. Easily touched up.
    Oil - Least protective. Many modern "oils" have varnishes and various other finishes mixed in with them. Easy to apply, easy to touch up.
    If you have questions that I can help you with, just PM me I'll try.
    Thanks,
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays eye candy is a set of Amboyna Burls donein what I call my "TWEENER" thickness. That is to say - these are as thin as you can get them and still use the full size bushings and screws that many of us have. They are thinner than stock, but not as thin as my Ultra Thins which are only 1/8" thick. There is a niche of people out there who want thinner but don't want to mess with changing the bushings and screws. Well this type is for them.
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    you make some sick grip panels!!! they look great!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Thank you Bigo, I appreciate that very much.

I'm leaving for a dive trip to the Sea of Cortez this morning, but have enough time to leave you with one more piece of God's eye candy. This beautiful set of Buckeye Burls has a lot going on in there - a splash of cream color, some great curl figure, burl eyes, great green/blue color. Some really great stuff.
    Enjoy, and I'll post more when I get back next tuesday.
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Back in the US and ready to roll. Here's a pic of some great quilted Maple bobtails. I lucked out and found a whole block of this wood a few months ago. Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Here's a set I've been wanting to do for a while now, but just finished last night. The medallions are set in Ivory paper Micarta.
    Both a tribute to those who didn't come back and a reminder that they are still out there.
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Today's set is in some very nice curly figured Koa from Hawaii.
    I cut it so that the figure runs up and down diagonally instead of across.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Links