What's new at Sarge's Grips - Page 28

What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Todays set is another sest of bob's done in a gorgeous Jarrah Burl from Australia. Great pattern and rich color in this wood. Naturally has ...

Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Todays set is another sest of bob's done in a gorgeous Jarrah Burl from Australia. Great pattern and rich color in this wood. Naturally has fissures in it that must be filled/dealt with, but once you get that done, a wonderful wood both in function and beauty for use in grips.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Here are the Buckeye Burl Tweeners that I just received from Ryan today on my EDC. Beautiful grips on my dirty gun (should of probably wiped it off before taking the pics).

Thanks Ryan and now what ones to choose for my commander??
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Two questions Sarge43...

1) Do you do any checkering on any of your wood grips? Maybe I missed the answer to this in thread.

2) Do you offer an apprenticeship program for those who live close by and would love to learn the craft?

These are absolutely the most beautiful grips I have ever seen! I am stunned, page after page after page! They just get more beautiful and more unique!

Like the fine custom holster makers here on the forum, you are truly a master craftsman with great skill, artistry and a good eye for what is beautiful.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n,
    1) No, I don't do checkering at this point. I do a stipple texture, but that's it. I'm looking into some other alternative textures that won't grab either, but provide a good texture for those who like that sort of thing. I personally don't like textured grips much.
    2) I have one apprentice program going right now, it's with my 15 year old son Tanner. He's the one that builds the pistol stands on the site, and if normal teenage busy scheduling doesn't overwhelm him, I hope to teach him how to make grips as well as other things in the shop. He's going to be GREAT as he's very meticulous and conscientious about things being just right. So far, that's all I have (or don't have as the case may be) time for.
    I'm glad you like the grips and the woods! Thank you for letting me know.
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Today is another two for one day as I only have one pic of each set. These were both special ordered by a customer and these were just the pics that went to him once they were done and shipped.
    The first set is done in Gabon Ebony with some great lighter streaks breaking up the black. A very unique and beautiful set.

The next set is a favorite wood of mine that I thought I was out of. I found enough for two sets, and he wanted one of them - Spalted Tamarind. Great color variation and a fine line spalt. Gorgeous stuff.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

More Buckeye Burl. I puchased a rather large burl and was jumping around like a kid as I cut it up. I called the wife and told her to come out to the shop and I was so excited that she thought I had cut myhand off or something and came running out. She was a little mad at me when she found that I had just called her out to look at some "more wood" and was fine. EVERY cut I made through this stuff just revealed more beauty. I felt like a little kid. I'll be posting many more from this burl I'm sure. Full burl coverage, many blanks in both the solid blue and the otustanding cream blue mix. Just an outstanding piece overall.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy the beauty of it!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    "Anyway, I hope you enjoy the beauty of it!"

Oh...I DO.

Very nice burl.

Another set of Desert Ironwood for today. The pics show you the "chatoyance" that's present in this wood. Look at the panel in the pic on the weapon, then the same panel off of the weapon. Same panel, different light angle. This stuff has some great shimmer to it!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is the last of the block of Spalted Tamarind that I had. It's the last survivor as all other pieces have been sold to this point. I haven't been able to find a block in the last few months that is good enough to buy and fabricate, but I'll keep looking. After all, looking and finding is half the fun.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

I know what gun that would have looked good on.

Very very nice wood.

Thanks GSWNC.

Todays set is Snakewood - the "rarest" wood in the world. It is harvested in only one spot on the globe and is actually momre of a tall shrub than a tree, making large pieces hard to find. High figure (like is shown here) is even more rare and expensive. In some cases, this wood is sold by the ounce. It IS very unique annd beautiful though!
    I'm sorry the pics of the grips aren't better than they are, but I was taking pics of my new DW CCO not the grips.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sorry if you guys are getting tired of seeing Buckeye Burl, but the patterns in this block are just so cool, I like staring at them.
    Here's another set with a striking color change from blue to cream. This stuff is so cool.......
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sarge, what kind of a wait time to get a set of camel bone grips for a Colt Officers Model?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Sarge, what kind of a wait time to get a set of camel bone grips for a Colt Officers Model?
    Interesting that you should ask that..... Just this morning I was in contact with a supplier in India about some blanks that will work for this. I can't find ANY here in the US that will be wide enough to make them fit the frame like I like to do. The typically available 1 1/2" blanks will leave the hated and sloppy looking frame flats showing and I won't put that out of my shop. He answered positively to the requirements I had and we're going to the next step. Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll be able to place an order for a couple hundred pieces and be able to put more of these up on the site.
    I tried this before, but the "supplier" in India took my money and ran, so I'm being a little more cautious this time around.
    Thanks,
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is Macassar Ebony in bobtail form. Crosscut for the beautiful bookmatched veining and the great color combination. Very nice stuff.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Sponsored Links