What's new at Sarge's Grips

This is a discussion on What's new at Sarge's Grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sarge, I was just visiting your site and that is the 1st Masur Birch that I have seen. Man that is one set of fine ...

Page 32 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's new at Sarge's Grips

Sarge,

I was just visiting your site and that is the 1st Masur Birch that I have seen. Man that is one set of fine wood.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GSWNC View Post
    Sarge,

I was just visiting your site and that is the 1st Masur Birch that I have seen. Man that is one set of fine wood.
    It is a very unique and beautiful wood! I used it in my custom furniture days as accent or border around different pieces. You hardly ever find it in "lumber" size. Usually in blocks. I've never seen it in anything over 9" wide unless it's multiple pieces glued together. As expensive as the good stuff is, that's just as well for my wallet.
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Sometimes I forget that not every single person in the US owns a 1911. That's okay, you don't need one to enjoy looking at the woods. Glad you enjoy them.
    Sarge
    No but your grips are definitely a persuasive reason to get a 1911. Even my wife who has a very pragmatic approach to guns. With very little if any aesthetic appreciation. She sees no special beauty in any gun and generally views guns as an ugly tool to do an ugly job but she loves looking at your grips. Your grips are the only thing that I have ever seen her actually admire about any gun other than functional features.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Wow, that's about the best compliment I could hope for. I love to hear of people appreciating the beauty of the woods used.
    Thank you for letting me know that!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Today we have another set for a Dan Wesson CCO. These are done in Curly Jarrah. Jarrah is an Australian wood that has great colors. I usually work with the burl from this tree, but saw a curly block and brought it in. Less flashy than some others, this wood still has wonderful color and great curly figure. Noticeable beauty without high "flash" to it. Satin finish just backs this up. A very nice wood overall!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Hey Sarge, I'm new to this site and I just spent the better part of the night looking at your grips. Never got tired of it. Beautiful work. Makes me want to buy a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    Afzelia Xylay in high figure. This stuff is amazing! You can see some of the 3D look of this wood in the pics, but trust me, it's nothing compared to seeing it up close and in your hand. You will be looking at it from inches away and swear that the ridges are there, but when you touch it it's perfectly smooth. VERY 3D stuff and very cool. This wood grows in S.E. Asia and gifure of this level is getting harder and harder to find, but when you do, it's worth it!
    Enjoy,
    Sarge

my FAVORITE to date! any chance of a set for a bobtailed colt defender

Quote Originally Posted by ZRT600 View Post
    Hey Sarge, I'm new to this site and I just spent the better part of the night looking at your grips. Never got tired of it. Beautiful work. Makes me want to buy a new gun.
    Thank you! I'm very glad that you like the woods! So much beauty to get to in a lifetime........ It's a charge sharing it with people who can appreciate it.
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Defender View Post
    my FAVORITE to date! any chance of a set for a bobtailed colt defender
    Sure! I always love custom work for an individual. Drop me an email at elitewood@hotmail.com and we can go over it. A couple pics of the weapon would help too.
    Thanks!
    Sarge
    www.thefinergrain.com

Todays set is another CCO slim set done in some gorgeous Amboyna Burl. Amboya Burl is ALWAYS a good choice for grips. Goes well with light or dark frames, and just drips class and sophistication. It always makes me stare at it while I'm working with it. I was lucky enough to find a few small blocks that have yielded some of the most stunnign Amboyna Burl I've ever seen. Just got them into the shop and cut into usable chunks over the last few days. Nothing like seeing that beautiful wood emerge as you're cutting it. Makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.
    Anyway, enjoy this set. Hope it brings a little beauty into your day.
    Sarge

Last edited by Sarge43; November 3rd, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: oversized finger typing
    www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Those are super classy.

Someday when I decide which of your grips I like the best, I'm gonna get some for my Loaded 1911, until then, I'm gonna have to keep looking at this thread and changing my mind. Very nice work.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thank you gentlemen!

Today is manmade day. Both sets are in Micarta - one in paper, one in the linen.
    The bobtail set below is done in Ivory Paper micarta and in comparing the color to my natural Ivory grips, the micarta has a good look to it, and appears about where I imagine natrual ivory would be after a little use and aging. I venture to say that if the two weren't sitting side by side, you wouldn't notice the difference. It's a good compromise for people who like the look and color of Ivory, but want something that is basically indestructible on their weapon.
    I apply a satin finish to it, just to give it that nice "done" look.

The next set is the black linen micarta which is good for those who want a little extra grippiness without snagging and want to maintain that "all business" look. Again, it's impervious to most things that you'll encounter, like water, sweat, heat, cold, whatever. The only thing I do to this material is to apply a darkening coat to make it evenly dark. If you don't do this, the grips will look blotchy in early use due to hand oils etc "staining" the contact areas. Applying this singel coat makes it uniformly dark and alleviates this problem.
    Enjoy! Back to beautiful woods tomorrow!

www.thefinergrain.com

Todays wood is Asian Walnut. This wood is haaaaaaard. It also has some beautiful curly figure in it as you can see.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Administrator
    Beautiful!

Hey sarge....did you ever hear of Dalbergia pacifica
    Rosewood, it's called ~~~~~~> Ocelot's Ear

That would make a nice set of grips!

Links